Taxis in Bangkok go for total revamp

rooster59

Taxis in Bangkok go for total revamp

IMG_1211.png

Taxis in Bangkok will soon be mandated by the state to be installed with global positioning system, closed-circuit TV cameras, and emergency buttons linked directly to the police centre in a total revamp of taxi services offered by the military junta to ensure safe travel by passengers and to probe the image of Thai taxi service.

The compulsory requirement will take immediate effect for newly registered taxis, while old taxis will be given certain period for them to comply with the new ministerial rules and regulations for taxi service.

The revamp of taxi services was agreed upon at a meeting yesterday participated by the National Reform Steering Committee on State Administration, Land Transport Department, Cooperatives Promotion Department, National Council for Peace and Order, Royal Thai Police, and more than 58 taxi cooperatives in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

The meeting discussed various issues regarding total taxi service revamp.

It agreed that the new ministerial regulations would be made compulsory for taxis to install GPS devices and CCTV cameras inside the car.

Panic or emergency button for passengers must also be installed in case of emergency or needing help.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/taxis-bangkok-go-total-revamp/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-07

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Also good idea, but who is going to pay for it?

I doubt it's particularly expensive. GPS systems and CC cams are cheap. And if the taxi coops purchase them in bulk then it's even cheaper. I am not sure how the panic button will work though.

20 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It needs a button in the back for the passenger to be able to turn the bloody meter on too, so they don't pay 2-3 times the normal fare.

Great idea! A button to turn on the meter. I think you need to PM the PM?

Revamp their behavior and attitudes toward the paying public and tourists

in particular and the rest will follow..... you can have a situation where a driver

will insult and cheat a passenger knowing he will only get a 1,000 baht fine,

if they get him that is....

Something needs to be done. My wife (Thai) was turned down by SEVEN taxis (refused to go on the meter) after we came off a river cruise last night. They were quoting anything from 150-300 baht for a 60 baht trip from River City to BTS at Saphan Taksin). The guy who did go on the meter was also moaning about them as he felt he was getting a bad name also. Meter read 59 baht when we arrived and I gave him 100 for being honest, and he was very grateful and wanted to give me change. Whether I should do that or not is another issue. Overall the current system is just  plain ridiculous and out of control.  

For once I think the junta is on the right track. 

Try to compete with uber instead of just going after uber legally. That's how a free market is supposed to give the customers (the people!!) the best product for the best price.

Thats more than can be said of many western countries reaction towards uber. 

Only problem is.. Talk is cheap.. And just because you entered a competition doesnt mean you will win... You still need competence.

40 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Something needs to be done. My wife (Thai) was turned down by SEVEN taxis (refused to go on the meter) after we came off a river cruise last night. They were quoting anything from 150-300 baht for a 60 baht trip from River City to BTS at Saphan Taksin). The guy who did go on the meter was also moaning about them as he felt he was getting a bad name also. Meter read 59 baht when we arrived and I gave him 100 for being honest, and he was very grateful and wanted to give me change. Whether I should do that or not is another issue. Overall the current system is just  plain ridiculous and out of control.  

I do the same: for the non-greedy ones I always over-tip. 

4 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

I doubt it's particularly expensive. GPS systems and CC cams are cheap. And if the taxi coops purchase them in bulk then it's even cheaper. I am not sure how the panic button will work though.

Yep if you are being raped or bashed you will need to know where the button is

Despite those problems, BKK taxis are generally very good. If the government wants to address negative tourist experiences with taxis they should go after the taxis in Phuket, Samui etc. Extremely poor service and ridiculously overpriced.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Total revamp !! WOW !!

What about all the unlicensed drivers?

Also good idea, but who is going to pay for it?

Yes the customer will pay in time as the taxi drivers cry foul. The powers that be mandated this to make it look like they are which I guess in a small way they do.  I was in the elevator the other day and a lady was fiddling with her mobile. I curiously asked her what she was doing (thinking Pokeman) She said she was calling up a Uber driver who would meet her at the back of the condo. This whole exercise by the taxi drivers seems to little to late. The hand writing is on the wall. Thats here in Chiang Mai where the song taews just upped their rates. Again if this reflected in better service OK but I was out and about the other day in the heat and desperately looking for a song taew. It took me three tries. One could speak no English the second was not as the song goes "Going my way"Their timing on raising rates seems rather ironic looking at the entrance of Uber into the market here.

4 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

But it will be fun for the passengers to find out.......... about 2000 times a day for the first year.

26 minutes ago, dg1980 said:

Despite those problems, BKK taxis are generally very good. If the government wants to address negative tourist experiences with taxis they should go after the taxis in Phuket, Samui etc. Extremely poor service and ridiculously overpriced.

The only problem I have in Bangkok is drivers refusing if they don't want to go where I asked.  That used to not be very common in Bangkok but has got completely crazy in the last year or two.  Oh,  and the occasional one who didn't want to use a meter.  

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

My wife (Thai) was turned down by SEVEN taxis (refused to go on the meter) after we came off a river cruise last night. They were quoting anything from 150-300 baht for a 60 baht trip from River City to BTS at Saphan Taksin).

Did your wife take down the numbers of the 7 taxis and file an official complaint about each? Until this happens systematically nothing will change.

I took a taxi the other night for the first time in a while without an initial handful of refusals... 

Great, I thought, the driver was polite, switched on the meter straight away... 

...But no seatbelt, I felt quite vulnerable as he screamed up Rama IV road weaving through traffic... He took it easy after I asked him to...  but my thoughts... why? Just why is it so difficult for these guys to provide a simple service without any issues? Do I ask too much ?

What I think are reasonable expectations - which are the norm in many other countries. 

1) Seatbelts

2) Serviced vehicles

3) Safe & Professional driving

4) Uses the meter 

5) No repeated refusals

ALL of the issues with BKK taxis stem from the poor attitudes of the drivers which over time has become the norm, such that a sense of entitlement has slipped into the fray... I'd happily pay a little more for a better reliable service. 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I took a taxi the other night for the first time in a while without an initial handful of refusals... 

Great, I thought, the driver was polite, switched on the meter straight away... 

...But no seatbelt, I felt quite vulnerable as he screamed up Rama IV road weaving through traffic... He took it easy after I asked him to...  but my thoughts... why? Just why is it so difficult for these guys to provide a simple service without any issues? Do I ask too much ?

What I think are reasonable expectations - which are the norm in many other countries. 

1) Seatbelts

2) Serviced vehicles

3) Safe & Professional driving

4) Uses the meter 

5) No repeated refusals

well I get this with my ONE staff, show  him to do something, explain why I want it done like this, then watch him do it a different usually CRAP way. Go back repeat about 10  times then the message  sinks  in for a  few  days. After a few  days back to the retarded way again..........repeat etc  etc..simply BRAIN DEAD in  his case

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Good ideas to be applied thanks to the PM,  I wonder was refusing to take passengers discussed   ?

silly boy .....tricks are for kids .

The passenger at the back needs 3 button.

1) A red "turn on the meter" button that automatically turns the meter on

2) A blue "eliminate smoke smell" that releases a fresh scent in cars owned by dirty pig smokers

3) A green "call the police" button that kindly suggest to the nearest police that something is happening in the taxi

21 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Did your wife take down the numbers of the 7 taxis and file an official complaint about each? Until this happens systematically nothing will change.

you are wrong . corrupt drivers need to go to jail , theft by any other name is still theft . attempted theft and working under your own rules is also theft . 

I like how when nothing is done some people constantly complain. When the govt starts on the right path to reform, there are still complaints. If you want Rome to be built in a day and all your suggestions adopted immediately, are you prepared to accept higher flags and fees, maybe like in our home countries to cover the costs?

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

May I suggest you install an Uber button on your phone?

Problem solved. 

1 hour ago, dg1980 said:

Whilst I agree with all your comments I would suggest that Bangkok taxis are ridiculously underpriced and this adds to the problem as drivers can't always afford to maintain their vehicles to an acceptable standard and these new enhancements will also no doubt have to be paid for by the drivers. Taxi prices have hardly changed in the 15 years I've been in Thailand yet the cost of living has risen dramatically.

Archived