Taxis in Bangkok go for total revamp

rooster59

Refused 3 times at 22:00 on soi 23 the other nigh when I was waiting with my wife. We were looking to go to soi 5 Ratchadipisek. Nobody wanted to go.

Not sure how this new initiative will fix this problem. Technology might be the answer if that cctv camera records a refusal and transmits it to the police.....

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Total revamp !! WOW !!

What about all the unlicensed drivers?

Also good idea, but who is going to pay for it?

Could they ask Dianne Abbot for suggestions

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

...But no seatbelt, I felt quite vulnerable as he screamed up Rama IV road weaving through traffic.

I don't understand this seatbelt thing ------- I'm sure all modern taxis are fitted with them at the factory so why do some drivers cut them off?

2 hours ago, hobz said:

For once I think the junta is on the right track. 

Try to compete with uber instead of just going after uber legally. That's how a free market is supposed to give the customers (the people!!) the best product for the best price.

Thats more than can be said of many western countries reaction towards uber. 

Only problem is.. Talk is cheap.. And just because you entered a competition doesnt mean you will win... You still need competence.

have they let uber start? that is the easiest way to bring up standards. as far as i know uber drivers are still being chased and assaulted.

Until .. all the taxi companies complain about the cost and the requirements dropped.

Why is this Junta always dreaming up these secondary systems to put into place? If they had a decent driver registration system, a decent driver license program why the need for panic buttons and GPS. 

They aren't agreed upon by the trade associations, they are dreamt up by prayuts honchos and then stiff armed upon the organizations.

How about dealing with the number one issue in this country .. the police force, put a panic alarm and a gps tracker on everyone of them.

7 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

have they let uber start? that is the easiest way to bring up standards. as far as i know uber drivers are still being chased and assaulted.

Not sure what you mean by "have they let Uber start". Uber has been up and running for years.

I just got back from Chiang Mai, and used Uber several times over the last few days. One female driver told me that she had become frightened of driving, as there are "vigilante" tuk tuks and songthaews threatening drivers. She had been threatened by a tuk tuk driver waving a stick, although it was just stick waving and not stick hitting. Tuk tuks and songthaews are also sending out loads of fake requests, where the Uber driver accepts, go to the pickup and finds a group of them standing around. What strikes me about that is that the tuk tuks and songthaews are playing games with Uber drivers and threatening them, but not out working hard to rip off tourists earn money. 

6 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

I doubt it's particularly expensive. GPS systems and CC cams are cheap. And if the taxi coops purchase them in bulk then it's even cheaper. I am not sure how the panic button will work though.

But we are talking about Thailand. Whether or not the new government required equipment is expensive depends on who the government approved, sole source vendor is. 

They need to ensure all taxis have rear seat belts for a start. On the meter issue if the driver complies I always give 40 to 50 Baht extra. For drivers who refuse to engage the meter you have to negotiate. I find late evening the difference between fares can be 100 to 200 baht. If a driver asks too much I just wait for the next taxi. Plenty in Bangkok

9 minutes ago, bubba said:

Not sure what you mean by "have they let Uber start". Uber has been up and running for years.

I just got back from Chiang Mai, and used Uber several times over the last few days. One female driver told me that she had become frightened of driving, as there are "vigilante" tuk tuks and songthaews threatening drivers. She had been threatened by a tuk tuk driver waving a stick, although it was just stick waving and not stick hitting. Tuk tuks and songthaews are also sending out loads of fake requests, where the Uber driver accepts, go to the pickup and finds a group of them standing around. What strikes me about that is that the tuk tuks and songthaews are playing games with Uber drivers and threatening them, but not out working hard to rip off tourists earn money. 

has the thailand transport dept given uber the go legally? i have heard they are operating. i am thinking about doing some driving for uber in nz. they are operating here and say you done need a P endorsed licence but the government says drivers do. 

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

has the thailand transport dept given uber the go legally? i have heard they are operating. i am thinking about doing some driving for uber in nz. they are operating here and say you done need a P endorsed licence but the government says drivers do. 

I have not heard yet that the Transport Dept. has legally endorsed Uber yet. I think they find themselves in a hard spot between the influential taxi mafia and large numbers of the Thai public who support and prefer Uber and use it regularly.

58 minutes ago, bubba said:

But we are talking about Thailand. Whether or not the new government required equipment is expensive depends on who the government approved, sole source vendor is. 

Someone in the junta is bound to have a nephew or other family member running the aforementioned business and will become the sole supplier :whistling:

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Something needs to be done. My wife (Thai) was turned down by SEVEN taxis (refused to go on the meter) after we came off a river cruise last night. They were quoting anything from 150-300 baht for a 60 baht trip from River City to BTS at Saphan Taksin). The guy who did go on the meter was also moaning about them as he felt he was getting a bad name also. Meter read 59 baht when we arrived and I gave him 100 for being honest, and he was very grateful and wanted to give me change. Whether I should do that or not is another issue. Overall the current system is just  plain ridiculous and out of control.  

tourist area you see, this type of place attracts the bad fish taxi drivers who should not be used to judge all taxi drivers in bangkok. so your complaint is valid for that place not all on bangkok. i would have walked away from the vicinity and hailed one.

simple tips can help; never get into taxi's that are hanging around tourist areas, walk away from the area and flag one down, avoid looking and/or acting like a tourist, be clear on where you are going and be able to pronounce it.

i travel in taxis a lot and very rarely have any problem, i know my way around bangkok so can correct the occasional driver taking a longer route. i my opinion taxis in bangkok are cheap, readily available and hassle free, this.

Total shutdown would be safer. They dont care about cameras and such. All will mysteriously stop recording, etc.

Total shut down would be safer for the public and all those idiots can go get a real job in a factory or something and make thailand good again.....or something like that...

4 hours ago, holymoly said:

The problems with taxis have nothing to do with technology but with human behavior.No amount of technology will solve

these problems.   

Actually, that's what uber has done. Solved the issue with tech. They have a rating system,, if the driver is acting up, then the customer can rate the driver poorly,, ifbthe driver receives many poor ratings he will not get more customers through the app.

Try uber,, it works really well and the drivers are always well behaved and never say no and they never overcharge and it just works.

10 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

I doubt it's particularly expensive. GPS systems and CC cams are cheap. And if the taxi coops purchase them in bulk then it's even cheaper. I am not sure how the panic button will work though.

'I am not sure how the panic button will work though.' Or whether it will be able to be disabled.

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

tourist area you see, this type of place attracts the bad fish taxi drivers who should not be used to judge all taxi drivers in bangkok. so your complaint is valid for that place not all on bangkok. i would have walked away from the vicinity and hailed one.

simple tips can help; never get into taxi's that are hanging around tourist areas, walk away from the area and flag one down, avoid looking and/or acting like a tourist, be clear on where you are going and be able to pronounce it.

i travel in taxis a lot and very rarely have any problem, i know my way around bangkok so can correct the occasional driver taking a longer route. i my opinion taxis in bangkok are cheap, readily available and hassle free, this.

I think most of us who have been here long enough know all of that. And, no, there aren't too many problems ... these days. But there still are. And the DoLT needs to get off it's collective a___e and resolve them. 

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

Whilst I agree with all your comments I would suggest that Bangkok taxis are ridiculously underpriced and this adds to the problem as drivers can't always afford to maintain their vehicles to an acceptable standard and these new enhancements will also no doubt have to be paid for by the drivers. Taxi prices have hardly changed in the 15 years I've been in Thailand yet the cost of living has risen dramatically.

They might be under priced for you, but not for most Thais, and Taxi drivers do earn quite good money, that's why there are so many of them at it. They went up a couple of years ago

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Yes they are still being chased and assaulted (and it may get worse). 

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Total revamp !! WOW !!

What about all the unlicensed drivers?

Also good idea, but who is going to pay for it?

I would think the Government should pay but you know as well as I do that's a no no

All good and well for the new ones but the ones already on the road and the illegal ones that's the ones that will be a Big problem and most of them will never be upgraded,I say give them an 3 months notice ,after that put them of the road and crush the illegal ones.

Reminds me of the overhaul of taxis in an Australian state some years back, but all too hard for drivers, lazy, fat, smoking, etc., jerks.

A new review commissioned a couple of years back made plates worth $500k a few years back, now worth less than half, with minimal compensation.

Same old story, if an industry isn't prepared to regulate itself,  the government will do it for them, mostly with less than desirable results.

Revamp their behavior and attitudes toward the paying public and tourists
in particular and the rest will follow..... you can have a situation where a driver
will insult and cheat a passenger knowing he will only get a 1,000 baht fine,
if they get him that is....

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, tomwct said:

Great idea! A button to turn on the meter. I think you need to PM the PM?

I did PM the PM, but i was arrested on the QT And i never had time to cross the T's or dot the I's.I ended up in the BH and accused of being a member of the OAS with further connections with the N.A F. F.I, so i ended up doing KP along side a guy from the ISIS.So now i am watching my p's and q's need to get out of here on the PDQ otherwise i might be found DOA.

Since the hardware will have to be upgraded they should require the meters to be upgraded to be similar to Singapore so that AOT fees get added, and toll fees collected electronically and reflected on the meter under tolls/fees and added to the meter rate for a total amount directly on the meter.  You then only pay what is displayed on the meter.  If the meter is not engaged the fee is automatically free -- and the passenger is free to leave the taxi without paying.

16 hours ago, dg1980 said:

Despite those problems, BKK taxis are generally very good. If the government wants to address negative tourist experiences with taxis they should go after the taxis in Phuket, Samui etc. Extremely poor service and ridiculously overpriced.

Nonsense!!

Yes, why are seat belts not mandated? The general PM seems in favor of mandating safety. This is a basic safety feature. I wonder if there is an email campaign directed to the PM for this. I would send mine.

The taxis might have all these features, but how long before they are tampered with so don't work?

I am sure the CCTV will work just like the ones to keep us safe around BKK worked :)   OOPS I forgot they were dummy cameras...........

But they fixed them I think.......we except where there are old plaques in the street........UMMMMMMMM

maybe its not as easy as it sounds.....

ask again in 6 months if anything has changed !

Archived