Education Visa extension and possible 1 day overstay.

Hi All,

Hoping someone can advise me.

I have an education visa for thai language in phangan. And yes i study legitimately and have even been doing my homework while I am currently out of the country working ( irregular contract offshore work) but before i left i obtained a re-entry permit. Unfortunately the end of the job has been delayed  and i will only arrive back into thailand on or around the 17-18th May ( and possible even a few days later!) and the visa extension that i currently have expires on the 21st may, which of course this is a sunday. I believe that if i enter on the nearly expired ED visa when i arrive back into thailand i should only get  permission to stay only until the last extension expiry date which is the 21st May, ie only a few days 

What i would like to do is spend a few days in BKK before flying back to samui / phangan but if i do i may not have time to get the extension again by the friday the 19th.

My questions Are as follows:

1., If someone brings my extension paperwork to BKK, Can i do the extension at any immigration office or must it be in Samui? If so How long will i get?

2.  Can i overstay the ED Visa extension that i already have ( with the re-entry permit) by 1 day and do the re-extension on the 22nd in samui.

3.  OR Am i better off just entering on visa exemption, possibly extending it by an additional 30 days and then go back to KL for another ED visa as some point.

4. Any other suggestions welcome.

7 minutes ago, smartiemarty said:

1., If someone brings my extension paperwork to BKK, Can i do the extension at any immigration office or must it be in Samui? If so How long will i get?

2.  Can i overstay the ED Visa extension that i already have ( with the re-entry permit) by 1 day and do the re-extension on the 22nd in samui.

1. No You have to apply in Samui.

2. If you applied on the 22nd you would not be fined for a overstay since your extension ended on a day that immigration is closed. After the 22nd you would fined for every day of overstay.

Ubonjoe,

Thanks for your very prompt and informative reply.

Thats great news. That should work for me perfectly then but If for any reason i couldn't get to the immigration on the 22nd, would i still be eligible to get another extension on the ED visa by paying any overstay due up to that point.?

Just now, smartiemarty said:

Ubonjoe,

Thanks for your very prompt and informative reply.

Thats great news. That should work for me perfectly then but If for any reason i couldn't get to the immigration on the 22nd, would i still be eligible to get another extension on the ED visa by paying any overstay due up to that point.?

Normally the will still do the extension it it is only a few days overstay after you pay the 500 baht per day fine.