Technical issues not our fault says 3BB as Thai govt denies blocking YouTube and Google

webfact

Technical issues not our fault says 3BB as Thai govt denies blocking YouTube and Google

BY STAFF WRITER

3bb.jpg

3BB has said they were not at fault for the technical issues which affected its internet service this weekend.

On Saturday, 3BB customers nationwide were unable to access Google sites such as Google Search, YouTube, Gmail and Google Docs.

Users trying to access the sites from a Thai IP address were unable to from early on Saturday morning and the issue wasn’t fully resolved until around 11pm.

During that time the 3BB website was also down, as was the firm’s customer support line, presumably inaccessible due to the amount of people phoning to inform they were having problems accessing the sites.

However, after customers hit out at 3BB for its handling of the situation, the company released a statement to say that it wasn’t at fault for the issues on Saturday, which it said was the result of Google carrying out “system maintenance”.

Full story: http://tech.thaivisa.com/technical-issues-not-our-fault-says-3bb-as-thai-govt-denies-blocking-youtube-and-google/21475/

tt.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Tech 2017-05-08

Google Thai and google U.K. weren't working for me either on Saturday

morning, and I'm on True internet. 

Didn't try youtube, but all other websites were working perfectly. I was using zoom meeting software without any interruptions. Google is always my go to when my internet is acting up. This is the first time I've ever had an issue with google when my internet has been working. 

It was all very weird. If this is the work the government, they must be very scared and desperate. This is not good news at all. 

5 minutes ago, jaymbkk said:

A Google maintenance during more than 10 hours and affecting only 3BB .. is that a joke ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yes.

They simply lie around the fact that they were the only ISP who missed to take appropriate action following the Google announcement.

I am on ToT fiber and had no issue at all.

From some Thai sources it is described that 3BB in panic did a rerouting to a path used by AIS fiber which brought both down to the knees?

Why do you automatically go into conspiracy theory mode and think it was the government's hand in this and not the failure of a local Google server. I'm just curious. You know tech does break occasionally right?

Yes.
They simply lie around the fact that they were the only ISP who missed to take appropriate action following the Google announcement.
From some Thai sources it is described that 3BB in panic did a rerouting to a path used by AIS fiber which brought both down to the knees?

No Google maintenance is taking that long and without warning anyway. Some shady things are going on in the background

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes.

So no goverment involvement (was not likely anyway with only one provider being affected). Just stupidity by 3BB. I had the same problems with 3BB for google.

Wait for a Google statement.

The saying is, that the ISPs were informed (warned) beforehand.

You're right let's not jump to conclusion. But without an official Google statement I'll keep my doubts

Just now, jaymbkk said:

Your right let's not jump to conclusion. But without an official Google statement I'll keep my doubts

Agree. I admit that yesterday I was in panic mode too when seeing strange routing changes at my ISP.  Today back to normal.

Agree. I admit that yesterday I was in panic mode too when seeing strange routing changes at my ISP.  Today back to normal.

Either way 3BB is at fault. Because if there was a Google maintenance, they've been informed and failed to act on it.

Either way 3BB is at fault. Because if there was a Google maintenance, they've been informed and failed to act on it.

It has nothing to do with just google etc anyway. My entire village were without any internet from 3BB not just the sites mentioned. So no matter what was the cause the facts are 3BB made no attempt to notify customers of impending outage and were not prepared enough to man the help centre to answer questions on what happened.

No other isp in the village has issues so I don't believe for one minute that this was. Google maintenance problem.

Apart from the fact that if it was a google issue their would have been some story or some statement from google by now considering the entire country is being told by 3BB that it's google that screwed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the fact that thai isp's are more interested in profits rather than customer service is a factual, they refuse to do the right thing by the customers constantly. They let their systems get overloaded so that speeds become very slow yet still chase more customers without improving their infrastructure to cope with more customers. Customer service is pathetic in all the isp's here, it took mine 18 months to sort out the problems I was having even though I was telling what it was, they simply didnt want to listen and have to pay for their people to do a rewire of the main line in front of our house but eventually did and the problem was solved. Everything here revolves around profits, if they think its going to cost them any money or require them to have to issue notices to their customers they simply ignore it

the fact that thai isp's are more interested in profits rather than customer service is a factual, they refuse to do the right thing by the customers constantly. They let their systems get overloaded so that speeds become very slow yet still chase more customers without improving their infrastructure to cope with more customers. Customer service is pathetic in all the isp's here, it took mine 18 months to sort out the problems I was having even though I was telling what it was, they simply didnt want to listen and have to pay for their people to do a rewire of the main line in front of our house but eventually did and the problem was solved. Everything here revolves around profits, if they think its going to cost them any money or require them to have to issue notices to their customers they simply ignore it

If you think it's bad here, try UK isp's. You'll be running​ back here. I don't doubt your story. It happens everywhere. All I can say is that my service with 3BBB has been exemplary. Speeds go up over time, not down. If there's​ a problem which is extremely rare an engineer usually turns up on the same day. I get 99.99% uptime. I can't complain.

If you think it's bad here, try UK isp's. You'll be running​ back here. I don't doubt your story. It happens everywhere. All I can say is that my service with 3BBB has been exemplary. Speeds go up over time, not down. If there's​ a problem which is extremely rare an engineer usually turns up on the same day. I get 99.99% uptime. I can't complain.

Same here. Getting more speed than my package includes and very rare interruptions compared to my previous ISP (True). That's why it's hard to believe that a, somewhat, professional ISP would fail to act on a planned maintenance from Google.

So what about my mate who was in the UK (Portland  - before sailing to Belgium) he had no Google on Friday night and patchy service for most of Saturday, I did post this on Saturday and said Google were having problems but was poo pooed by most people on here.

I know nothing of DNS addresses or hops or anything else that you techies talk about, I am in fact a bit of a technophobe and always need help if my computer plays up, but I'm not stupid and immediately thought it was Googles fault.   

So what about my mate who was in the UK (Portland  - before sailing to Belgium) he had no Google on Friday night and patchy service for most of Saturday, I did post this on Saturday and said Google were having problems but was poo pooed by most people on here 

Its possible that your "mate" had a totally different set of technical problems or maybe "user error" problems with Google. ?

2 hours ago, trd said:

Why do you automatically go into conspiracy theory mode and think it was the government's hand in this and not the failure of a local Google server. I'm just curious. You know tech does break occasionally right?

Probably something to do with the gov giving ISPs 7 days to clean up the Internet, followed by news of the ISPs trying to get Facebook to comply with censoring, then a day later Google goes down for half of the day.

6 hours ago, trd said:

Because there is a junta in power who is determined to control the Internet in Thailand. Pretty obvious, really.

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes.

Yes AIS was terrible on Saturday. 

Big brother! The all seeing eye!

Most if not all social media apps plus web linked internet sites are being scrutinised by the authorities, and not just Asia.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Because there is a junta in power who is determined to control the Internet in Thailand. Pretty obvious, really.

No it's not pretty obvious really. What is obvious is that a local google server failed.

10 minutes ago, trd said:

No it's not pretty obvious really. What is obvious is that a local google server failed.

Let me refresh your memory. You asked:

"Why do you automatically go into conspiracy theory mode and think it was the government's hand in this and not the failure of a local Google server. I'm just curious. You know tech does break occasionally right?"

I stand by my explanation as to why people "automatically go into conspiracy theory mode" when something like this happens. As I said, it's obvious.

Archived