Pregnant British woman killed in Phuket hit and run crash

webfact

Pregnant British woman killed in Phuket crash

Phuket Gazette

pkt1.jpeg

Motorists have complained about cars parked on motorbike lanes in the past. Photo: Winai Sarot

PHUKET: -- A pregnant British woman was killed in a hit and run with an 18-wheeled-truck on Thepkrasattri road in Thalang at noon today.

“She was riding on a motorbike with her partner, who did not sustain injuries. While driving, they changed lanes to avoid a vehicle parked on the left side of the road (the motorbike lane). As they did this, the truck hit their bike from behind,” said Lt Col Sanit Nukhong of Thalang Police.

“The woman was then run over by the truck and sustained fatal head injuries,” he added.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Pregnant-British-woman-killed-Phuket-crash/66566?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-05-08

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A tragedy, and truly awful for the partner, wife and baby lost in a second.

However, if he was changing lanes, he should have performed a shoulder check before manoeuvring.  If he had done this he would have probably seen the vehicle behind him (it's not called a lifesaver for nothing).  People shouldn't be able to ride bikes without proper training.

22 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

A tragedy, and truly awful for the partner, wife and baby lost in a second.

However, if he was changing lanes, he should have performed a shoulder check before manoeuvring.  If he had done this he would have probably seen the vehicle behind him (it's not called a lifesaver for nothing).  People shouldn't be able to ride bikes without proper training.

Indeed. Drilled into all UK bike licence holders over and over and over again. Look back, look over your shoulder, look back. Stopping, look back, turning, look back, pulling off, look back, changing lanes, look back.

I suspect the driver had not undergone any bike training in the UK (which has been mandatory to get a licence for many years) but figured he could handle both a scooter and Thai driving conditions.

1 minute ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Should have looked behind her before pulling out into another lane.

Hard to miss an 18 wheeler that's just behind you.

She was not the driver. Please read before posting. Thank you.

13 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

She was not the driver. Please read before posting. Thank you.

PHUKET: -- A pregnant British woman was killed in a hit and run with an 18-wheeled-truck on Thepkrasattri road in Thalang at noon today.

“She was riding on a motorbike with her partner, who did not sustain injuries. While driving, they changed lanes to avoid a vehicle parked on the left side of the road (the motorbike lane). As they did this, the truck hit their bike from behind,” said Lt Col Sanit Nukhong of Thalang Police.

“The woman was then run over by the truck and sustained fatal head injuries,” he added.

Where does it say that she was not the driver? 

51 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Where does it say that she was not the driver? 

Nowhere.

PHUKET: A British woman six months pregnant was crushed to death under an 18-wheeled truck in central Phuket today (May 8) after the man driving the motorbike she was riding pillion on swerved to avoid a parked car.
Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/pregnant-british-woman-crushed-under-18-wheeled-phuket-truck-62088.php#HGQjCAUpIHLg7VOu.99

Pregnant British woman killed in scooter crash in Thailand

A pregnant woman from the UK has been killed in a scooter accident in Thailand.

Sophie Emma Rose, 41, originally from Blackpool, died in the crash, said her boyfriend Danny Glass, who escaped serious injury.

He posted on Facebook he was "in total shock as I've lost the most precious person I had ever connected with".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-39842409

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-05-09

Truly tragic,

It took a while for myself to learn to always check my mirrors before pulling out of the motorcycle lane to pass a parked vehicle. Daily I go in and out to Bang Saray and am still amazed how a bus or lorry can be right on top of me when I check the mirror....it's as if they just appeared out of nowhere.

RIP.

16 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

How tragic. Fatal head injuries - helmet worn ? Mind you she was run over by the 18 wheeler. Unlucky she fell into the path of the truck. Partner thrown other way and survived.

A helmet wouldn't have helped.... So sad R.I.P.

15 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

And what will happen to the owner of the illegally parked car?

a. Nothing

b. Absolutely nothing

c. Nothing at all

d. Silly bloody question

e. All of the above

At the end of the day it has nothing to do with the illegally parked car, it is the responsibility of the drivers of the vehicles involved in the collision.

Suppose the car had broken down? The fact that it was there does not make it the blame for the accident. 

If the car was blocking the motor cycle lane the truck driver should have anticipated the motorbikes action of moving into that lane. Avoidable accident and very very tragic indeed for all involved. My sincere condolences.

42 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Truly tragic,

It took a while for myself to learn to always check my mirrors before pulling out of the motorcycle lane to pass a parked vehicle. Daily I go in and out to Bang Saray and am still amazed how a bus or lorry can be right on top of me when I check the mirror....it's as if they just appeared out of nowhere.

RIP.

Exactly. Cyclists, especially, always should check mirrors and/or look over shoulders while changing lanes in Phuket. It is like you say: "... amazing how a bus or lorry" (motor cycles and cars too) "can be right on top of me when I check the mirror ... it's as if they just appeared out of nowhere." I've had the same reaction dozens of times - it's like, ",man where did that car come from? I just checked the mirrors two seconds ago..."  I've been in Phuket going on two years and have never seen a vehicle pulled over for anything, never mind speeding, nor have I witnessed any speed traps. Advice to tourists: Don't think that, because you have experience riding motorcycles in your home country that you are ready for the very challenging (read dangerous) Phuket Town area roads. You're not. Stick to the less traveled roads if you are sightseeing, for instance (You definitely do not want to go "sightseeing" in Phuket Town even if only for a few seconds. The traffic is intense and you must stay focused. Relax and get distracted and you could be in trouble fast. One self-imposed rule I try to always follow in Phuket Town areas: DON't wander out of your path either left or right without knowing if anything is passing alongside." 

Like everyone else posting here, I was not a witness of this accident.

Looking over your shoulder is ingrained in me. Signalling is ingrained in me. Not making sudden manoeuvres is ingrained in me. Tailgating is not ingrained in me: the opposite, in fact.

The lorry driver initially ran away: shock does that to people but now he's getting a bit of a bad press when he may well be entirely or largely innocent.

If the lorry driver was driving too close to the bike, that is not good. If the boyfriend on the bike made no attempt to signal, that is not good either.

Pure speculation but keep this in proportion and follow the good points already made in other comments here, before this ends up as yet another attack on Thai drivers.

1 hour ago, wprime said:

Tsk tsk, negligent homicide and he'll probably get away with a slap on the wrist and a fine of up to 20,000. TIT I guess. He'll be on the next flight back to England before you know it.

Negligent homicide by whom?Back to England. Who? The Thai truck driver? Tragic accidents do happen all the time all over the world. Sad but hardly intentional. Show some sympathy.

RIP Sophie

17 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

And what will happen to the owner of the illegally parked car?

a. Nothing

b. Absolutely nothing

c. Nothing at all

d. Silly bloody question

e. All of the above

Hmmm.....just another day in the "land of smiles" ?

4 minutes ago, Grauwulf said:

Back to England. Who? The Thai truck driver?

RIP Sophie

Danny of course, he was driving the motorbike, he caused an accident where someone died, that's negligent homicide - it doesn't matter if the deceased is riding in his vehicle it still makes him liable. It carries a maximum fine of 20,000 baht and possible jail time (though if compensation is paid to the victims there usually isn't any jail time).

Archived