Pregnant British woman killed in Phuket hit and run crash

webfact

17 hours ago, Harold the Great said:

I'm shocked at comments about bike training! Seriously

Bike training will never stop the insane tailgating and deaths. The lack of proper engineered roads and systems is the real issue. If you put all the scooter drivers thru a monster training program and they attempted to follow the training the death rate would go through the roof. INFRASTRUCTURE is step one. Education and training step two. Regulatory compliance thru policing is step 3. When's the last time anyone has made a simple trip to a 7/11 and come up to a T intersection and can't see left or right because of a turn, hill, trees, signs, chicken wagon etc. 

Respectfully lets address 

Road engineering? About 50% of the motorbike deaths are due to speeding and alcohol. So the roads should be engineered for much higher speeds and drunken idiots? What needs to happen is the out-of-control motorbike situation needs to be stopped forcefully in Thailand. Take their deadly toys away as they are obviously inherently too dangerous for them (Thai and Farang alike).

Give them an improved INFRASTRUCTURE and they will find even deadlier ways to mis-use it. This is probably why motorbikes are not allowed on the freeways.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hottrader77 said:

IT WAS HIT AT THE BACK ONLY THATS WHY IT LOOKS LIKE IT DOES !! ITS YOU THAT DOES NOT HAVE A CLUE !! THE LORRY DRIVER TOLD THE PRESS THE REAL STORY , the motorbike driver did not look in his mirror when changing lanes forget what he said on video thats to stop anyone blaming him !! he should admit the truth 

I've watched the video numerous times. I can't see that the bike was hit from behind. 

It most definitely appears to me that the the couple fell off the bike while the lorry was passing.

The lorry driver continued completely unaware.

The incident is simply explained and has been by the motorcycle rider. He had to brake hard, his girlfriend fell to the right, he (the rider) and the bike fell to the left. The articulated trailer rolled over the the lady with tragic consequences. 

I don't see that the motorcycle rider was avoiding any blame, he was simply mentioning his version of the facts as he remembers them. 

I can't see how the lorry driver was even aware of what had happened given it appears that it was the articulated trailer which rolled over the lady and not the front of the lorry which impacted the rear of the bike. 

30 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I tried to view the street cam video - but now it's not available.

I just wanted to make sure that I did not see the truck hitting the bike. As far as I remember the truck was always in the outside 3rd lane, did not change lanes, the bike was behind a pick-up in the 2nd land as cars parked along inside lane.

The pick-up in front of the bike slowed or stopped, the bike wobbled and fell to the inside just as the truck was passing, the lady fell to the outside and it's clear that the trailer ran over the lady.  The truck did not run into the bike and can be clearly seen with the bike photo - no real damage to the bike.

LIK, that's exactly what I saw too. But for sure if Hottrader77 could watch that video he/she would still not be convinced .:blink:

1 hour ago, hottrader77 said:

HE said if you heard he had to brake because of a car suddenly braking in front of him that means he is blaming the car driver in front 

use your scrupples so he is still not admitting it , and that is not what happened the lorry driver has told you he hit the motorbike from behind he is denying this to save his own skin !

Lets put an end to your nonsense right here and right now.

Here is a pic of the same bike that you saying was hit from behind by a large speeding truck.

My case rests!                          The woman's boyfriend was taken to hospital

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've watched the video numerous times. I can't see that the bike was hit from behind. 

It most definitely appears to me that the the couple fell off the bike while the lorry was passing.

<snip>

I watched that video many times. It all happened in a second or 2. I never saw the truck hit the bike from behind.  Just look at the photographic evidence of the bike without any rear damage.  I really don't know why TV members continue to say the bike was hit from behind.

You got to think that any bike crossing into the higher speed outside third land would be crazy.  Let me say it once again. The bike driver was too close/or going too fast to the pick-up in front slowing/stopping, bike fell over to the left, driver holding handle bars fell to the left with the bike, unfortunate lady fell to the right and was killed. A tragic accident. 

5 hours ago, sebastion said:

Jesus people. Get a grip.
People are dying everyday on these roads. Why argue the semantics? People need to move on and let the man grieve in peace.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Yes ,people are dying everyday on the roads, but because a couple of nutjobs are trying their hardest to misrepresent the known facts in this particular incident and make the poor guy out to be a liar, for whatever reason, i'm sure that he, as i would if it were me, appreciate that  i and others will support him here by standing up to the nonsense being put forward by by them.

This, i am sure would help him more than hinder him in his grieving  if he ever got to see this thread but i'm sure that after reading of his lifestyle/ideals that he would not be the type of man who would bother reading this type of forum at all.

I'm sure that he is in his own special place to grieve as only he can and i wish him well.

It will be a long hard task ahead for him,and the pain of it happening, let alone seeing it happen will be stuck with him for ever and a day.

Here's what one commenter had to say about this in a "The Phucket News" article about the accident (Sorry, I could not provide the link):

"Enough is enough...I've had it with this deadly circus, and I'm sure many will be happy,
but the wheels are now in motion to get the hell out of this lawless third world hell hole.
To watch this murderous carnage go on and on, day after day after day
and to have this worthless police force continue to do nothing, is totally unacceptable."

What was the police force supposed to do (in this case) I can't help wondering.

My eval is that the truck did not hit the motorbike. If it had, we probably would have had two fatalities and a very bent motorbike.

I don't trust the veracity of the police report, the truck driver (who has serious skin in this situation), the MB operator or the eyewitnesses. I'd trust a CCTV recording of whatever happened and there was one that was difficult to evaluate. There was a report that the MB operator swerved to the left to avoid a rapidly-stopping car and the passenger was thrown off to the right under the truck's wheels.

That seems to me to be a more believable/likely scenario. Under any scenario that I can think of, I don't see how the truck driver could be at fault providing he had stayed in his lane. Perhaps he was speeding (but even so ...). Perhaps the driver that turned himself in was not the same person as the accident truck driver.

Who knows? There's simply not enough hard info in the articles I've seen except the CCTV video and the photos of the MB, which look relatively undamaged. The police report must have been written in Thai, I should think and "Good Luck" getting the truck driver to reply on this thread (in English).

On 5/9/2017 at 2:23 PM, LuckyNo4 said:

"However, if he was changing lanes, he should have performed a shoulder check before manoeuvring" ......This is an absolute MUST when riding a bike in Thailand. Always do a shoulder check whenever you move left or right, changing lanes or not. It will save your life.

100% correct and also use your mirror before manouvering as well as the shoulder check

9 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

you dont need truck driver to reply he must have made a statement to police read it , why should he lie he would not face any charges 

Maybe there's some things you may not be aware of when a farang and a Thai have an accident and the police get involved (or not). Have you had a lot of experience with accidents where a farang and a Thai were involved?

I have had only one accident on the road where a Thai (bus driver) was involved. He made an unsafe lane change with his bus and I had a minor injury, but could have been killed.

I  set out eight years ago to NOT  be involved in the Thai road carnage by refusing to own or operate any kind of motor vehicle and to avoid riding in several classes of motor vehicles - the primary one being motorbikes.

Always use your mirror again and again and again and do not over-speed your bike!   

Also if it was me with a pregnant wife I would never ride a bike here in the first place,.

A car is after all a bit safer for both of us.    The rider will have to live with this for the rest of his life . 

2 hours ago, balo said:

Always use your mirror again and again and again and do not over-speed your bike!   

Also if it was me with a pregnant wife I would never ride a bike here in the first place,.

A car is after all a bit safer for both of us.    The rider will have to live with this for the rest of his life . 

I have been riding a motorbike in Thailand for10 years now and my wife refuses to ride on it with me.

I have no idea why and when I used to ask her, the explanation ended up in mangled Thailish so I gave up asking.

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have been riding a motorbike in Thailand for10 years now and my wife refuses to ride on it with me.

I have no idea why and when I used to ask her, the explanation ended up in mangled Thailish so I gave up asking.

Possibly, your riding ability is the answer to your question.  :whistling:

14 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Possibly, your riding ability is the answer to your question.  :whistling:

Then again, possibly not, as she doesn't really like motorbikes at all though she does ride a sccoter now and again.

Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed.  

i dont need to earn any credibility its all in black and white at the police station

Unsubstantiated claims have been removed, if the claims cannot be linked to, then it is advised not to post claiming these assumptions. 

Archived