Pregnant British woman killed in Phuket hit and run crash

webfact

1 minute ago, wprime said:

Danny of course, he was driving the motorbike, he caused an accident where someone died, that's negligent homicide - it doesn't matter if the deceased is riding in his vehicle it still makes him liable. It carries a maximum fine of 20,000 baht and possible jail time (though if compensation is paid to the victims there usually isn't any jail time).

Thanks for the clarification, I guess using the word homicide you're from the US. Yes back in the UK the police AFTER an investigation may or may not bring charges for causing death by reckless driving, however, seen as how this only just happened and the police haven't as yet pointed any finger of blame at anyone it would be grossly unfair to blame the young lad as this is indeed a very tragic accident and I'm sure he is in a whole world of hurt. So as I said take this as being what it is, an awful event there is no need for finger pointing , show some sensitivity and sympathy please.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who drives a car in Thailand it never ceases to amaze me how the motorbikes will just pull out into the lane full of cars and trucks to go around something like a parked car or a samlor without ever looking behind them to see if they are being overtaken by a vehicle going  substantially faster than they are. They just seem to think they will never be hit. Yes, often we can anticipate it may happen if there is a parked car and if we are alert we are ready for it, other times it is to avoid a big pothole or something we are not aware of while driving a car. I haven't ridden a motorcycle in years but was always taught "everybody is trying to kill you, be careful" and that was in the US. 

This is awful for everyone involved, the motorcyclist will always have to live with the fact that he changed lanes and his partner was killed. The truck driver too will always have to live with the fact that he didn't manage to avoid them and has killed someone. The little boy they have will no longer have his mother either. 

2 minutes ago, happyas said:

Very sad and my sympathy to the rider, but HE is 100% at fault in this incident.

Oh the sensitivity of fellow men and the amount of armchair investigators who solve these cases overwhelms me.....

17 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

And what will happen to the owner of the illegally parked car?

a. Nothing

b. Absolutely nothing

c. Nothing at all

d. Silly bloody question

e. All of the above

It looks like that lane is now parking. All you can see is cars, cars, and cars, but the street is not an area where a speeding truck

should be driving. With all these tourists driving their rented motorcycles for the first time, cars and trucks should drive more carefully.

Nothing will happen to the cars parked on the road.

18 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

A tragedy, and truly awful for the partner, wife and baby lost in a second.

However, if he was changing lanes, he should have performed a shoulder check before manoeuvring.  If he had done this he would have probably seen the vehicle behind him (it's not called a lifesaver for nothing).  People shouldn't be able to ride bikes without proper training.

Truely bad driving of the partner, should check mirrors signal and make mannover. 

RIP young lady.

18 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Indeed. Drilled into all UK bike licence holders over and over and over again. Look back, look over your shoulder, look back. Stopping, look back, turning, look back, pulling off, look back, changing lanes, look back.

I suspect the driver had not undergone any bike training in the UK (which has been mandatory to get a licence for many years) but figured he could handle both a scooter and Thai driving conditions.

Maybe like so many Europeans that come here he  never had very much experience riding any size bike  and was still in the learning stage..

19 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

How tragic. Fatal head injuries - helmet worn ? Mind you she was run over by the 18 wheeler. Unlucky she fell into the path of the truck. Partner thrown other way and survived.

But probably partners driving to be questioned , how come he did not see a speeding truck coming up from behind ? 

1 hour ago, Dorion said:

Exactly. Cyclists, especially, always should check mirrors and/or look over shoulders while changing lanes in Phuket. It is like you say: "... amazing how a bus or lorry" (motor cycles and cars too) "can be right on top of me when I check the mirror ... it's as if they just appeared out of nowhere." I've had the same reaction dozens of times - it's like, ",man where did that car come from? I just checked the mirrors two seconds ago..."  I've been in Phuket going on two years and have never seen a vehicle pulled over for anything, never mind speeding, nor have I witnessed any speed traps. Advice to tourists: Don't think that, because you have experience riding motorcycles in your home country that you are ready for the very challenging (read dangerous) Phuket Town area roads. You're not. Stick to the less traveled roads if you are sightseeing, for instance (You definitely do not want to go "sightseeing" in Phuket Town even if only for a few seconds. The traffic is intense and you must stay focused. Relax and get distracted and you could be in trouble fast. One self-imposed rule I try to always follow in Phuket Town areas: DON't wander out of your path either left or right without knowing if anything is passing alongside." 

Sincere condolences..truly tragic.

Just as an aside I have been told by a Thai that all large lorry drivers are instructed to never stop for any accident as costs time,insurance,police etc & indeed was also told if necessary they will reverse over "accidents".

I saw yet another 4 farang filled motorbike yesterday.  Two of the passengers were babies, one held in the front of dad driving and one sandwiched between the mother and father standing, blond hair blowing in the breeze.  Knowing what the roads are like in Phuket, I cringed inside at the thought of the tragedy that could happen.  I suspect other than a few cases of poor parenting and intergalactic stupidity the majority of people who do this are trying avoid the extortion of the taxi mafia.  

He says in his grieving video that he braked to avoid a car that stopped in front of him the bike wobbled and they both fell off. She presumably into the path of the lorry him the other side. Nowhere does it say the bike moved into the lane of the truck and the bike was hit. Split second bad luck.

It's easy for us who did not see the accident to say oh were they insured, oh did they have licences, why did he not see the truck? Blah blah blah. To assume is wrong as they say to assume makes an ass out of.......who cares whether the freakin bike was rented who gives a monkeys whether they were wearing helmets or not ( I see plenty of ex pats riding home with no helmets from the bars pissed as well!!) if you land in the road with an 18 wheeler thundering along it's certainly game over and no one could foresee that.

Again I assumed this post was about expressing sympathy for a terrible tragic loss of life but I knew that the usual TV posters would start their own CSI pointing blame again. Whatever happened to people becoming so very cynical and so bloody moralistic on what is at the end of the day a very tragic ACCIDENT for all concerned and all left behind.

Have a heart guys.

16 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

But probably partners driving to be questioned , how come he did not see a speeding truck coming up from behind ? 

Maybe he did not think she would fall into the lane......maybe he did not think he would have had an accident that fine sunny morning..

29 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

Maybe like so many Europeans that come here he  never had very much experience riding any size bike  and was still in the learning stage..

Indeed, a fair assumption to make.

The roads of Phuket are not the place I would choose to learn defensive driving on a motorbike.

I would wager the lorry may have also been a factor. e.g. Speeding, defective brakes/tyres, not anticipating the bike's lane change, driver tired due to too many hours on the road, driver on drugs, etc. He did flee the scene.

18 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

a. Nothing

b. Absolutely nothing

c. Nothing at all

d. Silly bloody question

e. All of the above

all depends on his connections and if he is poor or not. 

18 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Indeed. Drilled into all UK bike licence holders over and over and over again. Look back, look over your shoulder, look back. Stopping, look back, turning, look back, pulling off, look back, changing lanes, look back.

I suspect the driver had not undergone any bike training in the UK (which has been mandatory to get a licence for many years) but figured he could handle both a scooter and Thai driving conditions.

agree with you totally if you look at motorbike in photo( do not know if it was the ladies in question) where are the MIRRORS ?? I see many many many many m/b's with out this vital equipment....WHY ARE THEY ALLOWED ON THE ROADS....i see BRAND NEW bikes with NO mirrors which I am sure is against the law....or is there NO LAW regarding MIRRORS on mb's

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Very sad but it almost feels like a daily event (foreigner killed in motorbike accident in Phuket).

Driver did a hit and run. Also daily.

If you ride a bike here, then you are committing a daily dangerous act.

I have not had an accident YET!

I don't ride bikes, just driving a car here is bad enough.

One golden rule driving anywhere is to keep your distance and don't speed.

Very tragic, an absoluter horrific event that will scar for life.

My condolences to all.

Just now, garbolino said:

agree with you totally if you look at motorbike in photo( do not know if it was the ladies in question) where are the MIRRORS ?? I see many many many many m/b's with out this vital equipment....WHY ARE THEY ALLOWED ON THE ROADS....i see BRAND NEW bikes with NO mirrors which I am sure is against the law....or is there NO LAW regarding MIRRORS on mb's

It is funny you should say that.

I was working on site in Pathum Thani a few years back and I went there on my 125 cc bike. The numbskull security guard came up and said, "Good idea, you have added mirrors," whilst pointing at the factory standard Honda mirrors. :shock1:

In his village, it must be standard to rip them all off as soon as possible.

18 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

a. Nothing

b. Absolutely nothing

c. Nothing at all

d. Silly bloody question

e. All of the above

How you know that the car parked illegally there? In almost ALL streets you can park at the left side of the road if there are no signs that it is not allowed.

19 hours ago, Briggsy said:

She was not the driver. Please read before posting. Thank you.

Go get em Briggsy keep em on their toes. A sin we have all committed at one time or another. The Thank You was a nice touch. 

19 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Should have looked behind her before pulling out into another lane.

Hard to miss an 18 wheeler that's just behind you.

unfortunately, when swerving to avoid an illegally parked  vehicle and there is a speeding lorry behind, this is what happens.

27 minutes ago, Grauwulf said:

He says in his grieving video that he braked to avoid a car that stopped in front of him the bike wobbled and they both fell off. She presumably into the path of the lorry him the other side. Nowhere does it say the bike moved into the lane of the truck and the bike was hit. Split second bad luck.

It's easy for us who did not see the accident to say oh were they insured, oh did they have licences, why did he not see the truck? Blah blah blah. To assume is wrong as they say to assume makes an ass out of.......who cares whether the freakin bike was rented who gives a monkeys whether they were wearing helmets or not ( I see plenty of ex pats riding home with no helmets from the bars pissed as well!!) if you land in the road with an 18 wheeler thundering along it's certainly game over and no one could foresee that.

Again I assumed this post was about expressing sympathy for a terrible tragic loss of life but I knew that the usual TV posters would start their own CSI pointing blame again. Whatever happened to people becoming so very cynical and so bloody moralistic on what is at the end of the day a very tragic ACCIDENT for all concerned and all left behind.

Have a heart guys.

"He says in his grieving video that he braked to avoid a car that stopped in front of him the bike wobbled and they both fell off."

It would be interesting to know if this is true as it seems v odd that anyone would suddenly change lanes having not previously spotted a parked car - although it does happen....

Archived