Pregnant British woman killed in Phuket hit and run crash

webfact

21 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

If you ride a bike here, then you are committing a daily dangerous act.

I have not had an accident YET!

I don't ride bikes, just driving a car here is bad enough.

One golden rule driving anywhere is to keep your distance and don't speed.

Very tragic, an absoluter horrific event that will scar for life.

My condolences to all.

Agree. If you use a motorbike here your chances of having a fatal accident are high. I don't understand why foreign residents or tourists dont just rent cars instead? Its quite cheap and much safer. There are car rentals in almost every tourist destination in the country.

Perhaps the government should just ban tourists from renting motorbikes without the proper license.

Or people should wake up and just rent a car!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

unfortunately, when swerving to avoid an illegally parked  vehicle and there is a speeding lorry behind, this is what happens.

You probably should watch his video a couple of posts above for his version of events.

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

You probably should watch his video a couple of posts above for his version of events.

I wish I hadn't - as I lost a lot of sympathy towards him as a result of watching (most) of the video...

I didn't watch it all because it became more cringe-worthy as it went on.

And what will happen to the owner of the illegally parked car?

a. Nothing
b. Absolutely nothing
c. Nothing at all
d. Silly bloody question
e. All of the above

I recall a westerner in Chalong being arrested for illegally parking his car when a teenager ran into it at 3am and died.
Seriously. Happened about a decade ago. He was dragged through the courts.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

And what will happen to the owner of the illegally parked car?

a. Nothing

b. Absolutely nothing

c. Nothing at all

d. Silly bloody question

e. All of the above

how do you know the car was parked illegally on the road

55 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

It is funny you should say that.

I was working on site in Pathum Thani a few years back and I went there on my 125 cc bike. The numbskull security guard came up and said, "Good idea, you have added mirrors," whilst pointing at the factory standard Honda mirrors. :shock1:

In his village, it must be standard to rip them all off as soon as possible.

another brain dead thai security guy....obviously does not think mirrors should be on a bike..

19 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Should have looked behind her before pulling out into another lane.

Hard to miss an 18 wheeler that's just behind you.

How do we know that he did'nt. Plus the fact that the truck driver should have seen and known that  the m/c would have to overtake the parked car. Gross negligence on the part of the truck driver by hitting the m/c from behind and not stopping. But i get it ( been here 11 yrs now)  it had to be all the farang's fault.

1 hour ago, claffey said:

Agree. If you use a motorbike here your chances of having a fatal accident are high. I don't understand why foreign residents or tourists dont just rent cars instead? Its quite cheap and much safer. There are car rentals in almost every tourist destination in the country.

Perhaps the government should just ban tourists from renting motorbikes without the proper license.

Or people should wake up and just rent a car!

But that is the attraction to certain people going to Thailand, to get out of there comfort zone, to take a risk something they cannot do in there own country. 

They weren't tourists so i'm sure they would have experience of driving on thai roads.

So much shit on here, another excuse for a bit of thai bashing over a tragic accident. 

RIP young lady.

57 minutes ago, snowgard said:

How you know that the car parked illegally there? In almost ALL streets you can park at the left side of the road if there are no signs that it is not allowed.

pattaya tai can only park on one side of road on certain days...odd days going down even days going down....crazy idea !!

19 hours ago, Briggsy said:

She was not the driver. Please read before posting. Thank you.

Firstly, RIP to the mother and baby and sincere condolences to the partner, friends and families of both.

Without picking on you Briggsy, but since when does one drive a motor bike rather than riding one?

Do we now all drive a horse as well??

42 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

unfortunately, when swerving to avoid an illegally parked  vehicle and there is a speeding lorry behind, this is what happens.

I guess driving at a careful speed and braking was not an option. A split second decision gone wrong??

19 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Indeed. Drilled into all UK bike licence holders over and over and over again. Look back, look over your shoulder, look back. Stopping, look back, turning, look back, pulling off, look back, changing lanes, look back.

I suspect the driver had not undergone any bike training in the UK (which has been mandatory to get a licence for many years) but figured he could handle both a scooter and Thai driving conditions.

Why do you suspect this , he might well have looked behind and signalled his intentions, which the truck driver would most likely have ignored. How many times i have been stopped in the middle of the road indicating my intention to turn right and still be overtaken on my right by mini vans or m/c., i would hate to guess. To me, and i could well be wrong, it appears that Thai drivers usually ignore any signal when they want to overtake.

26 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I wish I hadn't - as I lost a lot of sympathy towards him as a result of watching (most) of the video...

I didn't watch it all because it became more cringe-worthy as it went on.

Same same.

4 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

If the car was blocking the motor cycle lane the truck driver should have anticipated the motorbikes action of moving into that lane. Avoidable accident and very very tragic indeed for all involved. My sincere condolences.

Seeing what i see on a daily basis, he was probably on his mobile !

3 hours ago, todlad said:

Like everyone else posting here, I was not a witness of this accident.

Looking over your shoulder is ingrained in me. Signalling is ingrained in me. Not making sudden manoeuvres is ingrained in me. Tailgating is not ingrained in me: the opposite, in fact.

The lorry driver initially ran away: shock does that to people but now he's getting a bit of a bad press when he may well be entirely or largely innocent.

If the lorry driver was driving too close to the bike, that is not good. If the boyfriend on the bike made no attempt to signal, that is not good either.

Pure speculation but keep this in proportion and follow the good points already made in other comments here, before this ends up as yet another attack on Thai drivers.

How in the name of hell can "stating facts" be construed as an attack on Thai drivers. Wake up  'todlad' its what the actually do.  Live here longer and you just might notice.   grrrrrrrrrrr

Life as always on Thai roads.. bit of a lottery

sometimes you win... sometimes you lose.

No use blaming parked cars, 18 wheelers, bad drivers/riders or who did what maneuvers when... get on a motorbike over here your automatically entered into the next lottery.....  take your chances !

2 hours ago, VMOMMO said:

As someone who drives a car in Thailand it never ceases to amaze me how the motorbikes will just pull out into the lane full of cars and trucks to go around something like a parked car or a samlor without ever looking behind them to see if they are being overtaken by a vehicle going  substantially faster than they are. They just seem to think they will never be hit. Yes, often we can anticipate it may happen if there is a parked car and if we are alert we are ready for it, other times it is to avoid a big pothole or something we are not aware of while driving a car. I haven't ridden a motorcycle in years but was always taught "everybody is trying to kill you, be careful" and that was in the US. 

This is awful for everyone involved, the motorcyclist will always have to live with the fact that he changed lanes and his partner was killed. The truck driver too will always have to live with the fact that he didn't manage to avoid them and has killed someone. The little boy they have will no longer have his mother either. 

Looking at a previous photo of the accident scene, i noticed that a car was parked with plenty of room for a m/c to overtake  without changing lanes, so it was possible that the truck was too far over to his left when overtaking. With the help of the usual mobile phone this could well have happened.

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

Truely bad driving of the partner, should check mirrors signal and make mannover. 

RIP young lady.

Stop mouthing crap. You have no idea of how the guy was driving his m/c.

2 hours ago, happyas said:

Very sad and my sympathy to the rider, but HE is 100% at fault in this incident.

So i guess that you were driving right behind him. If not don't make such stupid remarks

20 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

PHUKET: -- A pregnant British woman was killed in a hit and run with an 18-wheeled-truck on Thepkrasattri road in Thalang at noon today.

“She was riding on a motorbike with her partner, who did not sustain injuries. While driving, they changed lanes to avoid a vehicle parked on the left side of the road (the motorbike lane). As they did this, the truck hit their bike from behind,” said Lt Col Sanit Nukhong of Thalang Police.

“The woman was then run over by the truck and sustained fatal head injuries,” he added.

Where does it say that she was not the driver? 

Equally, where does it say she was the driver and not the passenger?

Hundreds of Thai's are killed on their motorbikes each week....nobody gives a damn

When it happens to a breast-feeding-guru from the UK...it becomes a tragedy

Strange world we are living in.....

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

Truely bad driving of the partner, should check mirrors signal and make mannover. 

RIP young lady.

Your "know it all remarks " are sickening. This guy is right now grieving and you are telling him that we all blame him for his bad driving. People like you really need to shut up and have some consideration for others instead of condemning out of hand. You should be thoroughly ashamed of your stupid mouthing.

9 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Looking at a previous photo of the accident scene, i noticed that a car was parked with plenty of room for a m/c to overtake  without changing lanes, so it was possible that the truck was too far over to his left when overtaking. With the help of the usual mobile phone this could well have happened.

"so it was possible that the truck was too far over to his left"

I wondered about that too, as cars etc. frequently (for some obscure reason) drive in the middle of the lanes.

But even the 'bike rider doesn't say this was the case, so it seems unlikely.

4 hours ago, Canceraid said:

This is horrible news!  RIP both mother and child. Farangs should stop trying to ride bikes in this dangerous country and also for god's sake...wear helmets if you must.

Really? I have been riding a motorbike since 2009 in Thailand and yes I ALWAYS wear a helmet. I take it that you are a city person and don't ride a motorbike.

5 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

So i guess that you were driving right behind him. If not don't make such stupid remarks

I'm afraid he is to blame.

Listen to his own account on the video. A car stopped suddenly in front of him (no parked car, no lane change).

He braked suddenly and the bike went down.

Root cause was driving too fast and too close to the car ahead of him. If you have a pillion rider on the back, you have to allow even more braking room than if driving alone.

2 hours ago, Grauwulf said:

He says in his grieving video that he braked to avoid a car that stopped in front of him the bike wobbled and they both fell off. She presumably into the path of the lorry him the other side. Nowhere does it say the bike moved into the lane of the truck and the bike was hit. Split second bad luck.

It's easy for us who did not see the accident to say oh were they insured, oh did they have licences, why did he not see the truck? Blah blah blah. To assume is wrong as they say to assume makes an ass out of.......who cares whether the freakin bike was rented who gives a monkeys whether they were wearing helmets or not ( I see plenty of ex pats riding home with no helmets from the bars pissed as well!!) if you land in the road with an 18 wheeler thundering along it's certainly game over and no one could foresee that.

Again I assumed this post was about expressing sympathy for a terrible tragic loss of life but I knew that the usual TV posters would start their own CSI pointing blame again. Whatever happened to people becoming so very cynical and so bloody moralistic on what is at the end of the day a very tragic ACCIDENT for all concerned and all left behind.

Have a heart guys.

I only wish  that i could put it so well. You are correct. But we will still get the twisted opinions of the "know it all" idiots in here, who spout crap completely lacking common sense and consideration.  They make me sick !

The driver of the 18 wheeler was likely trucking along at a good click, might not have been attentive, maybe tired or high  on something, even using his phone.  Who knows, did not even stop, might not have known he run over the lady.  

Moving onto the m/bike driver. Did he have a m/bike licence or bike experience. Bike falling over displays lack of  bike riding experience.  I just wish tourists would use a car especially with precious cargo onboard.  I gave up bike riding 10 years ago, now pushing my wife to stop bike riding and just use the car.

2 hours ago, ujayujay said:

RIP. Unfortunately one more example what can happen, if you change Lane without attention. Usual in Thailand.

<deleted> !  read the facts. He did NOT change lanes. 

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Really? I have been riding a motorbike since 2009 in Thailand and yes I ALWAYS wear a helmet. I take it that you are a city person and don't ride a motorbike.

She was wearing a 'good' helmet. No defense against a big truck running over your head ...

Archived