Pregnant British woman killed in Phuket hit and run crash

webfact

2 hours ago, Grauwulf said:

He says in his grieving video that he braked to avoid a car that stopped in front of him the bike wobbled and they both fell off. She presumably into the path of the lorry him the other side. Nowhere does it say the bike moved into the lane of the truck and the bike was hit. Split second bad luck.

It's easy for us who did not see the accident to say oh were they insured, oh did they have licences, why did he not see the truck? Blah blah blah. To assume is wrong as they say to assume makes an ass out of.......who cares whether the freakin bike was rented who gives a monkeys whether they were wearing helmets or not ( I see plenty of ex pats riding home with no helmets from the bars pissed as well!!) if you land in the road with an 18 wheeler thundering along it's certainly game over and no one could foresee that.

Again I assumed this post was about expressing sympathy for a terrible tragic loss of life but I knew that the usual TV posters would start their own CSI pointing blame again. Whatever happened to people becoming so very cynical and so bloody moralistic on what is at the end of the day a very tragic ACCIDENT for all concerned and all left behind.

Have a heart guys.

With a posting like this you should know by now that it brings out the worst of at least 50% of the posters, none of whom were there, none know what really happened, few of them even care and most of them are simply guessing or speculating and taking the opportunity, once again, to bash Thais and Thailand.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, oldsailor35 said:

<deleted> !  read the facts. He did NOT change lanes. 

There are no 'facts'.  The article states that he changed lanes to avoid a parked car, whereas he states that a car stopped in front of him and lost control when braking.

CCTV footage of the accident. You can just make out the tragic victims on the far side of the road. In the top right of the screen. R.I.P to the victims. A tragic accident. One of many that happen everyday in Los. Making it the number one in motorcycle accidents in the world.

21 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

A tragedy, and truly awful for the partner, wife and baby lost in a second.

However, if he was changing lanes, he should have performed a shoulder check before manoeuvring.  If he had done this he would have probably seen the vehicle behind him (it's not called a lifesaver for nothing).  People shouldn't be able to ride bikes without proper training.

I agree with you don't relie  on your mirrors  I have been riding bikes for 30 yrs and always  do a shoulder check 

Thais  don't do they  the asian way if you are in front why look behind 

As for farang on a Scooter why would  you if  you don't know how to ride

20 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Indeed. Drilled into all UK bike licence holders over and over and over again. Look back, look over your shoulder, look back. Stopping, look back, turning, look back, pulling off, look back, changing lanes, look back.

I suspect the driver had not undergone any bike training in the UK (which has been mandatory to get a licence for many years) but figured he could handle both a scooter and Thai driving conditions.

In Thailand I often witness foreigners drive like the Thais...no helmet on the wrong side of the road... I suspect the lawlessnes gives them a feeling of freedom...its unfortunately risky very risky and result in accidents injuries and death....I am very sorry for the death of the young woman....its sad!

Same old 'experts churning out the same old rhetoric <deleted>.

You were not there, you do not know what happened (other than someone died and someone ran away) but as usual there's pages of 'yes, but, no but' Get a life.

1 hour ago, Goldieinkathu said:

This is so sad, such a nice and sensible young man. I can only hope that all the gutless posters who accused him can find just a tiny bit of guts to come and apoligise.

8 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

CCTV footage of the accident. You can just make out the tragic victims on the far side of the road. In the top right of the screen. R.I.P to the victims. A tragic accident. One of many that happen everyday in Los. Making it the number one in motorcycle accidents in the world.

I had to watch this video many times as it all all happened so fast.

The 18 wheeler was trucking along fast in the outside land.

The bike does not look like in the bike lane but behind a pick-up in the middle lane. And not overtaking a 'parked' car.

Lot more details needed here ....

50 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

How in the name of hell can "stating facts" be construed as an attack on Thai drivers. Wake up  'todlad' its what the actually do.  Live here longer and you just might notice.   grrrrrrrrrrr

Stating facts: had everyone been stating facts there would be no need for most of the posts in this thread.

Some basic facts do seem clear: motorbike with two riders, one died, lorry ran into the bike following the bike changing lanes.

Do you KNOW anything else oldsailor35? Or do you equate guessing and bias against the Thai lorry driver with knowing?

1 hour ago, oldsailor35 said:

How do we know that he did'nt. Plus the fact that the truck driver should have seen and known that  the m/c would have to overtake the parked car. Gross negligence on the part of the truck driver by hitting the m/c from behind and not stopping. But i get it ( been here 11 yrs now)  it had to be all the farang's fault.

Please note that this was posted from reports before the video and now it is confirmed that he did not pull out to overtake.  A pure accident for sure with no blame except for the truck not stopping. Do not try to say that being in a truck the driver would not have known, i have driven over dozens of Roos and Wallabies in a truck and felt every one of them .

37 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"so it was possible that the truck was too far over to his left"

I wondered about that too, as cars etc. frequently (for some obscure reason) drive in the middle of the lanes.

But even the 'bike rider doesn't say this was the case, so it seems unlikely.

Sure, the video says he braked and they fell off, so have to put this down to a pure accident although the fact that the truck driver just kept going does not go down well with me .

17 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

This is so sad, such a nice and sensible young man. I can only hope that all the gutless posters who accused him can find just a tiny bit of guts to come and apoligise.

Why do you say that? What did he say to make you appear to be saying he is the innocent party?

32 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

There are no 'facts'.  The article states that he changed lanes to avoid a parked car, whereas he states that a car stopped in front of him and lost control when braking.

Read the facts !  He did not change lanes, just had to break quickly and they fell off. This is what he told us in his belated video

21 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Should have looked behind her before pulling out into another lane.

Hard to miss an 18 wheeler that's just behind you.

Also hard to avoid with the brainless truck drivers traveling way over the speed limit, no chance of stopping in an emergency.

45 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I'm afraid he is to blame.

Listen to his own account on the video. A car stopped suddenly in front of him (no parked car, no lane change).

He braked suddenly and the bike went down.

Root cause was driving too fast and too close to the car ahead of him. If you have a pillion rider on the back, you have to allow even more braking room than if driving alone.

"driving too fast"   mate, you sound like the taxi driver who ran over me whilst i was parked with my feet on the road, and with two witnesses, told the police that i was overtaking him "at great speed"   note, i am 82 yrs old, the only speeding i am doing these days is towards the temple burnary !

This appears to be a tragic accident... 

Its very difficult to see from footage, but what I can see is that the Motorcycle appears to slow for a pickup and then fall off.

The passing lorry has a trailer, it appears that the lady fell under the trailer. I don't think the lorry driver would have noticed. I don't think he can be blamed for continuing on. 

This is simply a pure and tragic accident. It does show just how vulnerable we are on the roads here in Thailand, especially when riding a bicycle or motorcycle. 

RIP.

24 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I had to watch this video many times as it all all happened so fast.

The 18 wheeler was trucking along fast in the outside land.

The bike does not look like in the bike lane but behind a pick-up in the middle lane. And not overtaking a 'parked' car.

Lot more details needed here ....

If you watch his own version of events and then the CCTV footage  there are on more details needed. Looks to me like the front of the lorry was already past them as they fell off the bike. :sad: Heartbreaking.

30 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

10 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Read the facts !  He did not change lanes, just had to break quickly and they fell off. This is what he told us in his belated video

Sarcasm really doesn't work when posting, unless the sarcasm is far more obvious.

29 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Sensible? When he claims to talk to dead people?

7 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

"driving too fast"   mate, you sound like the taxi driver who ran over me whilst i was parked with my feet on the road, and with two witnesses, told the police that i was overtaking him "at great speed"   note, i am 82 yrs old, the only speeding i am doing these days is towards the temple burnary !

He was obviously driving too fast for him to brake in time to safely bring the bike to a stop. Self-evident innit?

21 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

And what will happen to the owner of the illegally parked car?

a. Nothing

b. Absolutely nothing

c. Nothing at all

d. Silly bloody question

e. All of the above

Of course, it was farang fault :sad:. Could not be the fault of the driver of the "illegally" parked vehicle! No Sir, no way.....................TIT

What a terrible tragedy to befall this family. RIP young lady and condolences to family and friends. Hope her partner is able to move on with his life at some later date.

Yes, the tragedy may have been avoided or minimised had the rider had more experience. As I have always maintained, when riding motorcycles you may be in the right or maybe in the wrong but in the event of a crash with a car or larger vehicle you are still going to suffer. Ride to live. Take care out there.

28 minutes ago, todlad said:

Stating facts: had everyone been stating facts there would be no need for most of the posts in this thread.

Some basic facts do seem clear: motorbike with two riders, one died, lorry ran into the bike following the bike changing lanes.

Do you KNOW anything else oldsailor35? Or do you equate guessing and bias against the Thai lorry driver with knowing?

Wrong !  the bike did NOT change lanes , get the facts ! The driver would have known if he ran over anyone.

4 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

He was obviously driving too fast for him to brake in time to safely bring the bike to a stop. Self-evident innit?

Not at all !  he might not have had any control of the passenger falling across and pulling them off the bike.

1 hour ago, oldsailor35 said:

So i guess that you were driving right behind him. If not don't make such stupid remarks

Not stupid at all..cold hard facts and no, i was not driving right behind him but i stand by my post that  HE is 100% at fault in this incident.

His own words and the CCTV footage show this.

You can not blame the truck driver, you can not blame to pick up that the guy braked for, you can only blame the rider as it was his actions/loss of control and his alone the lead to this incident.

To reiterate also as i posted earlier;

Very sad and my sympathy.

Archived