In shock move, Trump fires FBI Director Comey

webfact

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Actually according to the Washington Post it's not about his decision not to press for the prosecution of Clinton:

Officials said Comey was fired because senior Justice Department officials concluded he had violated Justice Department principles and procedures by publicly discussing the investigation of Hillary Clinton’s use of private email.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/comey-misstated-key-clinton-email-evidence-at-hearing-say-people-close-to-investigation/2017/05/09/074c1c7e-34bd-11e7-b373-418f6849a004_story.html

The article states the Trump was pressuring Comey to focus on leaks instead of the investigation into Russian influence and was upset that it wasn't going as they wanted

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody knows you sort this out in private, not a public sacking, with media coverage and press releases.  Preferably on an aircraft with government agents keeping the Press at bay.

If the conspiracy theories persist, just say it was a 45 minute chat about grand kids and golf.  Donald!  What a Newb!  

555!                       555! 555!                 555!

7223796.jpg.9fe5714c79d76d4d926126f87934478a.jpg

Bit hypocritical of the Dem's isn't it?  and what was obama doing interfering in the French election?  I'm sure that was him on TV telling them how to vote. Must say silly move by Trump and atrocious timing.   

19 minutes ago, kamahele said:

Nixon tried this in 1973 by firing the special prosecutor. How'd that work out for him?

Right.  Looks like Trump is panicking. The Flynn revelations continue to get worse.  Flynn himself has already offered to sing for immunity.  And there is a lot more Russian dirt where that came from.  I'd say Trump is on the run at this point.

If the Dems were to take the House next year there would be an investigation with teeth, but taking the House still looks like a long shot to me at this point. 

9 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Bit hypocritical of the Dem's isn't it?  and what was obama doing interfering in the French election?  I'm sure that was him on TV telling them how to vote. Must say silly move by Trump and atrocious timing.   

You really have to wonder who is advising him, they must not understand the power of good timing 

Almost every one of Trumps actions have been ill timed.  From the first Executive order on Immigration done on a Friday night after close of business, to the firing of Acting Attorney General Yates, now this disaster coming on the heels of Yates damaging testimony of two days ago

Even if you don't want to connect the dots, the facts are still going to stick in the mind of the electorate who will connect the dots in a way that can only hurt Trump

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

*Deleted post edited out*

People who cite alternative realities to back up their contentions are being gormless. And what makes Comey's firing suspect is not that Trump fired Comey, but that he fired him when he did.

An unrelated verb gaum means "to behave in a stupid or awkward manner." There's also a noun gaum, meaning "a stupid doltish person.

Are you saying this just because I am Thai? Or is it because you disagree with me?

Meanwhile 

"Trump Hires Law Firm to Fight Suggestions of Russia Business Ties

President Donald Trump has hired a Washington law firm to send a letter to a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee saying he has no connections to Russia, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Tuesday.

Spicer's revelation was in response to a question from reporters on a briefing about committee member Sen. Lindsey Graham's remarks that he wants to look into whether Trump has any business dealings with Russia."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-hires-law-firm-rebut-suggestion-russia-business-ties-n757106

Behind Comey’s firing: An enraged Trump, fuming about Russia

The president deliberated for more than a week before ousting the FBI chief who was investigating Trump associates. (sub-title)

"He had grown enraged by the Russia investigation, two advisers said, frustrated by his inability to control the mushrooming narrative around Russia."

"He repeatedly asked aides why the Russia investigation wouldn’t disappear and demanded they speak out for him."

"He would sometimes scream at television clips about the probe, one adviser said."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/10/comey-firing-trump-russia-238192

The walls are closing in. :thumbsup:

And the Lemmings can't see the forest for the trees.

Boy, are they in for a shock now that a Grand Jury has convened and issued subpoenas...

About Sec. Clinton, my ass...

The myopic, willfully uninformed Trumpeteers are pathetic.

1 minute ago, oilinki said:

Meanwhile 

President Donald Trump has hired a Washington law firm to send a letter to a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee saying he has no connections to Russia, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Tuesday.

Spicer's revelation was in response to a question from reporters on a briefing about committee member Sen. Lindsey Graham's remarks that he wants to look into whether Trump has any business dealings with Russia."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-hires-law-firm-rebut-suggestion-russia-business-ties-n757106

It is just getting beyond ridiculous.  The USA can never say again with any credibility that it is trying to install 'democracy' in another sovereign nation. This is now a textbook example of how not to run a democracy. Trump is mental.

1 minute ago, iReason said:

Boy, are they in for a shock now that a Grand Jury has convened and issued subpoenas...

But who now controls this? Who is keeping the Grand Jury procedures moving now? Was it Comey? Is it the Dep Attorney General (responsible for recommending Comey's dismissal?) It all seems that Trump's men are being positioned to stop everything. The USA is allowing Trump to behave like a dictator.

15 minutes ago, oilinki said:

"Trump told reporters in February: "I have no dealings with Russia. I have no deals that could happen in Russia, because we’ve stayed away. And I have no loans with Russia. I have no loans with Russia at all."

2013: “I have a great relationship with many Russians, and almost all of the oligarchs were in the room,” Trump said, referring to Russians who made fortunes when former Soviet state enterprises were sold to private investors."

"Five years earlier, Trump's son Donald Trump Jr. told Russian media while in Moscow  that “Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross section of a lot of our assets" in places like Dubai and Trump SoHo and elsewhere in New York."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/03/28/trump-business-past-ties-russian-mobsters-organized-crime/98321252/

:cheesy:

11 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

But who now controls this? Who is keeping the Grand Jury procedures moving now?

Michael Flynn’s Associates Served Grand Jury Subpoenas in FBI’s Probe Into Russian Election Meddling

"Federal prosecutors have issued grand jury subpoenas to associates of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn seeking business records, as part of the ongoing probe of Russian meddling in last year’s election, according to people familiar with the matter."

"The subpoenas issued in recent weeks by the US Attorney’s Office in Alexandria, Virginia, were received by associates who worked with Flynn on contracts after he was forced out as director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in 2014, according to the people familiar with the investigation."

"The Flynn inquiry is one piece of the broader investigation, which FBI Director James Comey testified in a Senate hearing last week is led jointly by the Alexandria US Attorney’s Office and the Justice Department’s National Security Division."

http://ktla.com/2017/05/09/michael-flynns-associates-served-grand-jury-subpoenas-in-fbis-probe-into-russian-election-meddling/

3 minutes ago, iReason said:

Behind Comey’s firing: An enraged Trump, fuming about Russia

The president deliberated for more than a week before ousting the FBI chief who was investigating Trump associates. (sub-title)

"He had grown enraged by the Russia investigation, two advisers said, frustrated by his inability to control the mushrooming narrative around Russia."

"He repeatedly asked aides why the Russia investigation wouldn’t disappear and demanded they speak out for him."

"He would sometimes scream at television clips about the probe, one adviser said."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/10/comey-firing-trump-russia-238192

The walls are closing in. :thumbsup:

And the Lemmings can't see the forest for the trees.

About Sec. Clinton, my ass...

The myopic, willfully uninformed Trumpeteers are pathetic.

What's happening is happening regardless.   I thought the photo and idea was amusing and added some balance to the continuing American clown show unfolding here.  Not seeing that, or the humor in it, and throwing around your tired old "Trumpeteer" label, is myopic, and pathetic.  :coffee1: 

1 minute ago, iReason said:

Michael Flynn’s Associates Served Grand Jury Subpoenas in FBI’s Probe Into Russian Election Meddling

"Federal prosecutors have issued grand jury subpoenas to associates of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn seeking business records,

as part of the ongoing probe of Russian meddling in last year’s election, according to people familiar with the matter."

"The subpoenas issued in recent weeks by the US Attorney’s Office in Alexandria, Virginia, were received by associates who worked with Flynn on contracts after he was forced out as director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in 2014, according to the people familiar with the investigation."

"The Flynn inquiry is one piece of the broader investigation, which FBI Director James Comey testified in a Senate hearing last week is led jointly by the Alexandria US Attorney’s Office and the Justice Department’s National Security Division."

http://ktla.com/2017/05/09/michael-flynns-associates-served-grand-jury-subpoenas-in-fbis-probe-into-russian-election-meddling/

Understood, but now with Comey out the way what is to stop the DOJ from telling the US Attorneys office in Alexandria to drop this and throw the subpoenas in the bin? A serious question, I don't know the answer.

4 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

The third reason is not mentioned.  That reason is: Trump is doing every frantic thing he can to try and thwart/shut down an investigation into his treasonous activities .....and his money laundering for Russian oligarchs.

Been reading too much john grisham? LOL

I guess the next thing he will do (according to you) will be to hire someone sympathetic who will take all the trump investigation files into the back

yard and burn them.

No surprise that Jeff Sessions would clash with Comey. I've known Sessions for years from working in media in Alabama. Sessions is a natural for the Trump administration. Completely without scruples and totally devoted to advancing his own career, regardless of the effect on others. Sessions is one of the most bald-faced liars I have ever interviewed and fits in well with Trump's gang.

6 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

...what is to stop the DOJ from telling the US Attorneys office in Alexandria to drop this and throw the subpoenas in the bin?

Would love to see the Orange One try. Truly.

Then, you should grab a large popcorn. :thumbsup:

If you're not enjoying one already... :laugh:

Interesting article from January 20 2017:

The new president can stop all executive investigations. Will he halt ones about himself?

Donald Trump takes office when there is reported to be a broad investigation into possible collusion between the Kremlin and campaign officials (sub-title)

"US intelligence agencies have already concluded that Vladimir Putin interfered in the presidential election in Trump’s favour."

"The night before his inauguration, the New York Times quoted current and former senior US officials as saying that law enforcement and intelligence agencies were examining intercepted communications and financial transactions as part of their inquiries."

"Once Trump takes the reins of power, however, he has the authority to stop all executive branch investigations."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/20/donald-trump-us-investigations-election-hacking

Prophetic.

This precipitated President Trumps rage late Tuesday, one that even a twitter post could not calm. Nope he went all in and fired Comey even though it is like waving a red flag and screaming “yes I am guilty.”

“Federal prosecutors have issued grand jury subpoenas to associates of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn seeking business records, as part of the ongoing probe of Russian meddling in last year's election, according to people familiar with the matter. CNN learned of the subpoenas hours before President Donald Trump fired FBI director James Comey.

The subpoenas represent the first sign of a significant escalation of activity in the FBI's broader investigation begun last July into possible ties between Trump campaign associates and Russia”

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The next FBI Director - Chris Christie, Rudolph Guiliani, Sherif David Clark...?

Sheriff Buford T. Justice?  At least there isn't an open criminal investigation (or in the case of Guiliani, an ongoing grand jury hearing for money laundering and RICO violations for selling arms to Iran through Turkey) against Jackie Gleason.

3 hours ago, rodney earl said:

Good riddance Comey. You should have been fired a long time ago after not charging Clinton and  Obama. They should have both been charged with at least destroying evidence and as far as I am concerned with treason we well. I for one am glad he is gone.!!

Perhaps you would be so kind as to link to the specific statutes which both Obama and Clinton violated, and the acts of each which should have resulted in charges under those statutes.

Should be interesting reading since dozens, if not hundreds, of trained investigators and prosecutors have looked at this in minute detail and decided that no violations of law occurred.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

there was no illegality found, so time to move on.

Wrong!

Comey said that she had broken the law, just that HE decided not to prosecute, which wasn't his decision to make.

That is simply not true, and you should know that...in fact, maybe you do...

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

You have a link to this?

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So, not prosecuting Hilary is being cited as the reason. Bit late. We are six months down the track.

The fact that Comey was now in charge of allegations regarding Trump, and his team for possible Russian ties is just a coincidence?

Those allegations won't go away. The sacking of the man in charge of the investigation will undoubtedly raise suspicion it is being done to stymie that investigation.

I hope the investigation itself will continue, to determine the truth.

The statute of limitations has not run out so it is not too late.

Comey made up the law in his investigation of Hillary.  The statute as written by Congress does not require intent.  He added that she had no "intent" to break the law, therefore, no law was broken.  That was wrong.  Others in the government have been prosecuted for much less with no intent on their part.  

Comey was a hack with sympathies for the Democrats/liberals/Hillary.  He should have been dumped with the swamp crap months ago.

Archived