Pickles

tutsiwarrior

I like pickles and have made them sucessfully in the past...basically water, vinegar and salt for the brine. There's plenty of veg around and I have just put up a gallon jar with cauli and cabbage and sum dried chilis. Anyone know about a recipie for nice pickled eggs? I was gonna use the same brine mixture with the addition of sum cloves...

gallon jars, vinegar and various spices are available at tescos...no need to be a slave to smelly thai mishmash...

let's hear it from the thaivisa chef contingent!!! (and darling Bambina if you can bear me insulting thai cuisine once again...)

From cooks.com

2 tbsp mild mustard

2 c. cold water

2 c. white vinegar

1 c. sugar

1 tbsp salt

1 tbsp celery seed

6 whole cloves

2 med onions

12 hard cooked eggs

In saucepan blend mustard with a little vinegar, add remaining vinegar and next 6 ingredients. Heat to boiling, cover, simmer 10 mins. Cool pour over eggs. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Serve as a salad these will keep 3 weeks in fridge after that time they will lose flavor and texture.

I used to make bread and butter pickles, terrific on sandwiches :o

From cooks.com
2 tbsp mild mustard

2 c. cold water

2 c. white vinegar

1 c. sugar

1 tbsp salt

1 tbsp celery seed

6 whole cloves

2 med onions

12 hard cooked eggs

In saucepan blend mustard with a little vinegar, add remaining vinegar and next 6 ingredients. Heat to boiling, cover, simmer 10 mins. Cool pour over eggs. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Serve as a salad these will keep 3 weeks in fridge after that time they will lose flavor and texture.

thanks darling and merry Christmas. the mustard and onions sound like interesting ingredients; I'll try it out. Seems to me that the eggs would have to sit in the brine for about a week??

• 2 weeks later...
:o foul things. However, I was told by the chief supplier of pickled eggs to the Ramadhan Arms that all you needed to sucessfully make those filthy things were hard boiled eggs and vinegar. I did make 24 for a friends birthday, not sure how they tasted as I wouldn't even smell them :D . Don't like eggs by the way!

:o foul things. However, I was told by the chief supplier of pickled eggs to the Ramadhan Arms that all you needed to sucessfully make those filthy things were hard boiled eggs and vinegar. I did make 24 for a friends birthday, not sure how they tasted as I wouldn't even smell them :D . Don't like eggs by the way!

I used sbk's recipie and they turned out fine...the mustard and onions are a nice touch. The family weren't impressed, though...I sliced up a few and set them on the buffet table and they didn't get eaten...I devoured the lot...also did pickled cauli with cabbage. Then the wife tells me that a doctor told her that she can't eat things with vinegar...sheesh...

I tried a batch of these pickles and they didn't turn out. He said I should have followed the recipe and NOT put extra vinegar. One of these days I'll try another batch.

Title: Hugh's Garlic Dill Pickles

Yield: 1 gallon

25 Small Pickling Cucumbers (2 To 4 Inches), -washed And -Scrubbed In Fresh water

4 Large Cloves Of Garlic - Leave Whole, Peeled

Fresh Dill, Amount To Taste

6 Peppercorns

1 cup Cider Vinegar

4 Tablespoons Salt

[Note: Ingredients based on a gallon size jar!]

1. After washing pickles, place all at once, in a large pot of rapidly boiling water. Turn off the heat and immediately remove pickles.

Cool the pickles by placing in cold water of running tap water over them, (to stop them cooking). The object is to blanch the

pickles not cook them. By blanching the pickles it makes them crunchy.

2. Place the pickles in the jar along with the garlic cloves,

peppercorns, and dill. (Place a few pickles, then garlic and dill, then

more pickles etc). Fill to the top, do not push or force the pickles in

tightly, (avoid bruising).

3. Put 4 heaping tablespoons of salt, and 1 cup of vinegar into about 1

liter (Quart) of water. Stir until dissolved. Pour into the jar and

fill to the top covering the pickles. Do not heat the mixture.

4. Place the lid loosely on the jar and set in a window sill or full

sun shine for a day or two. The pickles will bubble and change color to a

dark green. After they turn green, place in the refrigerator. They will

continue to cure over the next several weeks.

I tried a batch of these pickles and they didn't turn out. He said I should have followed the recipe and NOT put extra vinegar. One of these days I'll try another batch.

Title: Hugh's Garlic Dill Pickles

Yield: 1 gallon

25 Small Pickling Cucumbers (2 To 4 Inches), -washed And -Scrubbed In Fresh water

4 Large Cloves Of Garlic - Leave Whole, Peeled

Fresh Dill, Amount To Taste

6 Peppercorns

1 cup Cider Vinegar

4 Tablespoons Salt

[Note: Ingredients based on a gallon size jar!]

1. After washing pickles, place all at once, in a large pot of rapidly boiling water. Turn off the heat and immediately remove pickles.

Cool the pickles by placing in cold water of running tap water over them, (to stop them cooking). The object is to blanch the

pickles not cook them. By blanching the pickles it makes them crunchy.

2. Place the pickles in the jar along with the garlic cloves,

peppercorns, and dill. (Place a few pickles, then garlic and dill, then

more pickles etc). Fill to the top, do not push or force the pickles in

tightly, (avoid bruising).

3. Put 4 heaping tablespoons of salt, and 1 cup of vinegar into about 1

liter (Quart) of water. Stir until dissolved. Pour into the jar and

fill to the top covering the pickles. Do not heat the mixture.

4. Place the lid loosely on the jar and set in a window sill or full

sun shine for a day or two. The pickles will bubble and change color to a

dark green. After they turn green, place in the refrigerator. They will

continue to cure over the next several weeks.

oh...(sob), but where does one find fresh dill in Thailand?

fresh dill is a remarkable herb...my sister's jewish mom in law showed me how to use it. As a wedding present for one of the brothers in law in CA I got a 20lb Pacific salmon and was terrified of screwing it up...bubby just said 'don't worryaboutit...some dill and lemon here and there and you are in mencsh city...'

I set that superbly baked muthuh on the buffet table at the wedding reception and went to take a leak...I returned and it was finished!...a wild success...all becausa the dill and a jewish grandmother...

tutsi, at one time I grew a large dill bush from seed. I guess they aren't perennial here (biennial, maybe) but it did grow and grow well. Perhaps grow some dill in your flower beds also, I believe they repel some pests as well.

tutsi, at one time I grew a large dill bush from seed. I guess they aren't perennial here (biennial, maybe) but it did grow and grow well. Perhaps grow some dill in your flower beds also, I believe they repel some pests as well.

sounds good...if ever you get sum seeds from yer plants send me some...next thing yuh know there will fresh dill all over the local market...it's unique bitterness and fragrance would go down a treat with some of the local dishes.

some years ago I brought back to the US some quirqina seeds from Bolivia...a basic spice for a lot of andean dishes...they grow like weeds in the high andes that don't have a lot of water. The plants took off like wildfire in CA and I introduced the weed to others...they started putting them in salads when they are intended to flavor lawa, a potato and millet stew favored by highland campesinos...

tutsi corrupts the ecosystem...

Tutsi, I think if you look around in the fresh markets you'll be able to find some. Hugh gets it in Krabi and I can find it up here in Loei. My wife calls it puk chee lao but it certainly is dill and NOT corriander. I HATE corriander.

Tutsi, I think if you look around in the fresh markets you'll be able to find some. Hugh gets it in Krabi and I can find it up here in Loei. My wife calls it puk chee lao but it certainly is dill and NOT corriander. I HATE corriander.

if what yer talkin' about is the dill that I know it is easily identifieable by the skeletal leaf structure...not at all like coriander/cilantro which is bushy/flat leafed...one just has to tweak a bit and smell their fingers, then you know you got the real goods...

btw, fresh coriander is normally used as a garnish rather than as an ingredient...I useta eat whole bunches for the pungency when blind with a hangover...

I'll put the puk chee lao business to the wife an' see what she comes up with from the market...cheers

From cooks.com
2 tbsp mild mustard

2 c. cold water

2 c. white vinegar

1 c. sugar

1 tbsp salt

1 tbsp celery seed

6 whole cloves

2 med onions

12 hard cooked eggs

just did it again, babe...you got me hooked...

my 'no longer a child but a beautiful young woman' step daughter helped me to peel the eggs...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

OK...if we agree that dill does exist in Thailand it is that it is a weed that nobody uses...never seen any in the local market or at tescos...a shame as the local spices (stinkin' bamboo shoots, <deleted> sauce and handfuls of chile) leave a lot to be desired...

I don't know why anyone would think that Thai cuisine is special...it stinks...gimme a cheeseburger anyday...

(boooo, hissss, turds are hurled along with 'go live in Russia ye miserable bastid...', at least in Russia they got lovely cold beet soup and nice rye bread...) :o

Actually, when I was hunting and gathering at Tesco, I found small containers of sour cream and creamy cottage cheese near the margarine. Don't think I didn't snap up several of each. :o I made pasta al fredo a few times with cream cheese and minao juice. Not too bad, but I don't think that would work in borscht. Also tough to get beets. Cabbage no prob. I'm checking recipes now...

And I'm with you on the Thai food front. I like some noodle stalls, grilled chicken and corn on the cob, but pass on curry and chili anything. :D

OK...if we agree that dill does exist in Thailand it is that it is a weed that nobody uses...never seen any in the local market or at tescos...a shame as the local spices (stinkin' bamboo shoots, <deleted> sauce and handfuls of chile) leave a lot to be desired...

I don't know why anyone would think that Thai cuisine is special...it stinks...gimme a cheeseburger anyday...

(boooo, hissss, turds are hurled along with 'go live in Russia ye miserable bastid...', at least in Russia they got lovely cold beet soup and nice rye bread...) :o

Dill is available in Thai markets and is used a lot for making Thai pickles...cheap and easy to find...

thai pickles???...you sure?, thais don't like vinegary things and I have never seen fresh dill anywhere in Suphanburi (my range is limited, I am a 20 year immigration overstayer an' don't get out much...)

No, you just get up at the wrong hours to shop at the market because you are afraid to sleep in the dark with creepy crawlers. :o:D

How's the chili coming along?

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Dill is Pak chi Lao. It is not always available. I have made many a croc pot of 6 day dill pickles. Vineger, salt, dill, garlic and cucumbers. mix a brine then layer the cucs garlic and dill, let it sit for 6 days if you can. My wife and kids luv them. All ingredients from the local market. Place a lid or plate loosely on top and store it in a coolish dark area. My missus always trys to add in lemon grass or chilli's but i don't let her.

Dill is Pak chi Lao. It is not always available. I have made many a croc pot of 6 day dill pickles. Vineger, salt, dill, garlic and cucumbers. mix a brine then layer the cucs garlic and dill, let it sit for 6 days if you can. My wife and kids luv them. All ingredients from the local market. Place a lid or plate loosely on top and store it in a coolish dark area. My missus always trys to add in lemon grass or chilli's but i don't let her.

sounds great...when I was stumblin' about the market the other day I saw sum weeds that looked like dill but had a pinch and a sniff and it didn't smell like much compared to fresh dill that you get in CA...

it is fine that you do not allow yer wife to corrupt yer pickles with lemon grass and other thai mishmash...the locals don't unnerstand how they can corrupt honest falang cuisine with their oriental intrusion... :o