Mystery surrounds death of British pensioner found floating in Nan River in Phitsanulok

webfact

Mystery surrounds death of British pensioner found floating in Nan River in Phitsanulok

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

PHITSANULOK: -- Police are keeping an open mind in the death of a British pensioner found dead in the Nan River in downtown Phitsanulok yesterday.

They are working on several theories - suicide, accident or foul play.

Though later yesterday after his wife was interviewed another possibility came to light - changes in the way the British government pay pensions may have led to the man taking his own life in despair.

Phitsanulok police were called yesterday when Trevor Roberts, 74, was found floating face up in the river. He had been dead about two hours, reported Thai Rath.

There was a driving license in his pocket, 2,640 baht in cash, a house key and car keys for a Mitsubishi. He was wearing a watch and carrying an appointment card for a visit to the Krung Thep Phitsanulok Hospital.

There was no sign of his Mitsubishi car nearby.

There were no signs of attack on the body but there was a bruise on his right arm.

Police contacted the younger sister of his wife called Phuangthong Nuanjan, 59, who said that Mr Roberts was a former language teacher at a college in the area and had been in town about ten years and was now retired.

He usually stayed home with his wife, her elder sister, but occasionally went to visit foreign friends in his car. He used to drink but had given up nearly a year ago, she said.

She said she had been to visit the couple only last Tuesday when her sister had told her that the couple had been arguing lately. Mr Roberts had been complaining that he was in financial difficulty because his pension was less than before due to some British government changes in the way it was paid.

Apparently the wife did not accept this and suggested that her husband might be spending money on a woman on the side and this led to them arguing frequently.

Police got the sister to contact the wife, Pratheuang Roberts, to inform her what had happened.

Later Mrs Roberts told police that her husband had said two days ago that he wanted to die. She thought nothing of it at the time.

Yesterday at 7.30 she went to town to do some business and when she returned at 9am her husband had already gone out in his car.

She thought he had gone to see friends. The next thing she heard was when her sister called to say he had been found floating in the river.

Phitsanulok cops are hunting for the victim's car. They are as yet unsure as to whether he jumped in the river, had an accident involving his car or someone else was involved in his death.

Police have sent the body for a detailed autopsy as investigations continue.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-12

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

Apparently the wife did not accept this and suggested that her husband might be spending money on a woman on the side and this led to them arguing frequently.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Regardless, Thais have no idea about the UK and money. A friend of mines wife wants him to go back to England and send her 100,000 a month. She will not accept that this is an unrealistic amount and she continuously calls him lazy for not doing it. She is seriously convinced that we can all earn half a million a month easily!

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Keep them guessing Trevor, that was always your style.

You don't really appreciate sensationalism until it is directed at someone you know (or have known) I have known Trevor and his wife for 18+ years and to even put the above clip in an article is ludicrous. The only thing true about it is the 'arguing frequently' bit; it was like a game between them.

RIP buddy.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

pension pressure .....   suicide ....  case closed :coffee1:

You have absolutely no clue about this person or this case at all but that doesn't stop you jumping on here to claim - oh yes case closed. And another prat quickly jumps in to 2nd your quackery, bingo.

You need to explain the red marks on the arm and the missing car before you post up any case closed malarky. Yeesh.

The police would like it to be suicide,as case closed quickly,but where is his car

in the river too ?,why are the wifes never at home when their husbands die,

RIP 

regards worgeordie

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Regardless, Thais have no idea about the UK and money. A friend of mines wife wants him to go back to England and send her 100,000 a month. She will not accept that this is an unrealistic amount and she continuously calls him lazy for not doing it. She is seriously convinced that we can all earn half a million a month easily!

Clearly, she is not young enough or beautiful enough to earn this amount herself.:crazy:

How much money does she bring into the house to call him lazy?

Lazy? I hate that word!!! You study and work for 65 years of your life and plan for your retirement knowing full well that you have less years in front of you. And those years are yours to do what you want to do, not what you must do.

16 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The police would like it to be suicide,as case closed quickly,but where is his car

in the river too ?,why are the wifes never at home when their husbands die,

RIP 

regards worgeordie

As his car keys were found in his pocket, it is more than likely where he parked it.

As there is quite a current (even with low water) in the Nan river running through Phits, it could be anywhere upstream. That is if he parked it by the river of course, if not then that expands the search area for it to the multitude of sois that make up Phits.. 

RIP ol lad, whatever happened to you will probably never be known.

One thing though the way we are treated by the UK government regarding pensions is disgusting.

Wife always nagging about money, hellish, i know.

My ex was always nagging about give me more money, never stopped.

It is enough to make any man want to end it.

18 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Clearly, she is not young enough or beautiful enough to earn this amount herself.:crazy:

Lazy? I hate that word!!! You study and work for 65 years of your life and plan for your retirement knowing full well that you have less years in front of you. And those years are yours to do what you want to do, not what you must do.

I don't know where you guys get these women from...there are many well educated & well off women around who are desperate for men not money!!

Or is it only me who is meeting them?

5 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I don't know where you guys get these women from...there are many well educated & well off women around who are desperate for men not money!!

I don't have a woman like that, Mickmouse 1 . I was just airing my thoughts on darksidedog's friend's dilemma. If I did have someone like her, she would have seen my back a long time ago.

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

Money finished...... wife not happy.... dies in mysterious circumstances..... I see a pattern.

Does he have an insurance policy with the wife as recipient?

Awhile ago, a farang was talking to a Thai lawyer about changing his insurance policy.  Prior, it had benefited his Thai wife, but he was seeing about changing it to benefit his daughter from a previous marriage.  The farang's wife went out for a full day's shopping in a town, 40 minutes away.  During that time, a Thai man forcefully entered the farang's house and killed him.  The wife came home and immediately picked out a bunch of paper receipts from her pocketbook, proving she was far away all day.  Cops called it suicide.  

Another story:  a farang was arguing with his Thai wife about splitting up.  He went out on his motorbike one evening to 'buy beer.'   He died on that trip.  The wife conveniently got the high-value house and 50 room guest house which the farang had bought in her name.

There are over 3,000 stories like that.   Connect the dots.

36 minutes ago, newatthis said:

So true, if the money doesn't come in on time, or is reduced for some reason, these women show their true colors, no amount of reasoning and careful explaining of the situation will work. You are a bad, lazy man, or even 'black heart' or some such cobblers. The pound being devalued by 20% since the disastrous BREXIT vote has put many Brit retirees under a lot of financial pressure. We keep hoping that it might regain it's value, but so far, it has not.

The Nan, with it's gently sloping banks and slow moving water is not a river you could just fall into by accident. The missing car is strange though.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

So true, if the money doesn't come in on time, or is reduced for some reason, these women show their true colors, no amount of easoning and careful explaining of the situation will work. You are a bad, lazy man, or even 'black heart' or some such cobblers. The pound being devalued by 20% since the disastrous BREXIT vote has put many Brit retirees under a lot of financial pressure. We keep hoping that it might regain it's value, but so far, it has not.

The Nan, with it's gently sloping banks and slow moving water is not a river you could just fall into by accident. The missing car is strange though.

what missing car? could be anywhere near the Nan, now that really narrows it down, doesn't it?

1 hour ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Yeah, it is only you....

Nobody commented about the money that was reported to be in his pocket. 

Normally some (at least one) members would express their surprise that the investigating police didn't take it. 

Could TV attitudes towards the police be improving? Or maybe the naysayers are still sleeping. 

I'm British. I'm worried!

I keep reading reports about British citizens, more so than any other race, being found dead or killed.

Yet again, another Brit found dead!

Last week, a pregnant British female, killed by a lorry driver, who fled the scene!

The killings of the two tourists a few years back plus other Brits found dead on the same Island. Makes me wonder...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived