Mystery surrounds death of British pensioner found floating in Nan River in Phitsanulok

webfact

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as usual statements made by locals in these cases make n sense, normal way of living, no-sense

Counting and spending ,and making a fuzz whenever something needs to be clarified, (responsibility)

Police have to come up with evidence, where is the car, any CCTV in the area (working?) ? anything pawned??    where was the wife when time of death is acknowledged...etc etc....

in any case...condolences to family and loved ones!!

1 hour ago, pentap said:

I'm British. I'm worried!

I keep reading reports about British citizens, more so than any other race, being found dead or killed.

Yet again, another Brit found dead!

Last week, a pregnant British female, killed by a lorry driver, who fled the scene!

The killings of the two tourists a few years back plus other Brits found dead on the same Island. Makes me wonder...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

An average of about 350 British people die in Thailand each year. Why does it make you wonder when there are so many here. 

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

They missed heart attack.  Where did he hide his car?

One would suggest looking in parking areas near bridges upstream from where he was found.  Sorry to read of his death but glad they mentioned his name. Have a friend from near there who I cannot contact and was getting concerned it might have been him when I saw the headlines.  R.I.P.

6 hours ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Golly, these guys are good.

They are working on several theories - suicide, accident or foul play.

... but then ... another possibility came to light - suicide

3 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

I do find this a little odd. I have a UK government pension and absolutely no changes have been made to it or the way it is paid.

But to be fair, the wife would likely only understand that the pension had gone down - and not realise it was due to exchange rates rather than the actual pension income.

5 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I don't know where you guys get these women from...there are many well educated & well off women around who are desperate for men not money!!

Or is it only me who is meeting them?

Yes. I've heard many women say that. Mind you I never married one so as to find out if it was true or not.

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

pension pressure .....   suicide ....  case closed :coffee1:

RIP.

Rubbish.

I am a pensioner and my income has gone down also, however I am not dead yet.

I also explained to my wife last year what has happened to the exchange rate and how it affected us and she understood the problem.

You are one of the first people on threads like this to make an instant judgement on people and their circumstances that you know nothing about.

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Is this all many of you guys have to do in your life is scour TV and make dumb juvenile one liner cracks about people's unfortunate deaths followed with "the wife" did it as its all a big conspiracy? Pretty sad.  Worse yet are the people that like their comments. Its like a band of bored old buzzards on a shit wagon. 

While the circumstances of the fellas death are unknown, let him RIP.

I'd agree, except we all know that way too many 'farangs' in, shall we say 'unusual' circumstances, and the death is declared as suicide/accident.  Hence the plethora of cynical comments.

We will never know the reasons behind this poor man's death, but I'm sure we all feel some sympathy regardless of how it happened.

2 hours ago, pentap said:

I'm British. I'm worried!

I keep reading reports about British citizens, more so than any other race, being found dead or killed.

Yet again, another Brit found dead!

Last week, a pregnant British female, killed by a lorry driver, who fled the scene!

The killings of the two tourists a few years back plus other Brits found dead on the same Island. Makes me wonder...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

How strange.

I am British too and I am NOT worried at all.

Why should I be?

1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

An average of about 350 British people die in Thailand each year. Why does it make you wonder when there are so many here. 

Careful, too much wondering might be dangerous to a Brits health. 

38 minutes ago, exalll said:

They are working on several theories - suicide, accident or foul play.

... but then ... another possibility came to light - suicide

Can't be, never suicide in the case of westerners.... 

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'd agree, except we all know that way too many 'farangs' in, shall we say 'unusual' circumstances, and the death is declared as suicide/accident.  Hence the plethora of cynical comments.

We will never know the reasons behind this poor man's death, but I'm sure we all feel some sympathy regardless of how it happened.

Did many ever think that maybe they are just that....a suicide or an accident? Look the vast majority of foreigners that seem to turn up deceased are older retirees thus an accident is extremely possible or just natural causes. Why can't  people just pass here in Thailand without the cynical comments about the "women" setting it up? Also  suicide here is not out of the question, Old age, terminal disease, lonely after a divorce. All in and feel trapped. 

I guess it amazes me all the cynical comments with the Immediate wife, Money plot and plan. I suspect that the wife plot happens very little compared to all the CSI experts on here want to believe it to be.

Just saying

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'd add, that although there is very little chance of my being found dead under unusual circumstances - if this happened, I'd prefer people to question, rather than just accept the usual line of suicide/accident.

Just now, JAFO said:

Did many ever think that maybe they are just that....a suicide or an accident? Look the vast majority of foreigners that seem to turn up deceased are older retirees thus an accident is extremely possible or just natural causes. Why can't  people just pass here in Thailand without the cynical comments about the "women" setting it up? Also  suicide here is not out of the question, Old age, terminal disease, lonely after a divorce. All in and feel trapped. 

I guess it amazes me all the cynical comments with the Immediate wife, Money plot and plan. I suspect that the wife plot happens very little compared to all the CSI experts on here want to believe it to be.

Just saying

Probably because too many happen with, shall we say,  'unusual circumstances'.

Natural causes is fairly easy to determine by the hospital/pathologist.

Suicides/accidents/murder are far less easy to resolve - especially when the authorities would prefer a suicide/accident conclusion.

Problem is we rarely hear what the findings were.

The death is "news" etc but the later findings isnt.

That just leaves speculation and that can and often does go in many directions.

Regardless of this speculation, going solo and hiring your "fun" by the hour give you many added stress free years of life in Thailand.

Why guys need to be married here is beyond me.

Maybe they cant look after themself or cant stand being alone?

I dont think my ex would have had the cajoulies to off me, but for sure i would have run out of money years ago if id kept her

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

That just leaves speculation and that can and often does go in many directions.

Especially on Thai Visa.

3 hours ago, docshock13 said:

"While police were examining the body, a woman arrived at the pier who identified herself as the young sister of Mr David’s wife."

The sister of the wife just happened to turn up at the same time as the body was recovered?

Hmm....

17 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Probably because too many happen with, shall we say,  'unusual circumstances'.

Natural causes is fairly easy to determine by the hospital/pathologist.

Suicides/accidents/murder are far less easy to resolve - especially when the authorities would prefer a suicide/accident conclusion.

I agree, This poor fella was found in a river. At this point who knows.

14 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

That just leaves speculation and that can and often does go in many directions

That is the crux of the problem, zero closure.  And I agree that the "Webfact" posting is far from quality thus opening the door for the constant cynicism but nevertheless the comments about the "Wife/GF" and money and "another Dead ATM are unfounded and in poor taste IMHO.

7 hours ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Golly, these guys are good.

Yes - I see a pattern beginning to emerge here - say nowt! (rather than the usual "death by suicide" before any proper investigations have been made!)

39 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Just saying

The cynical comments are most probably due to the ract that those posters are bored with their own lives and have nothing better to do but whine, moan and speculate.

She said she had been to visit the couple only last Tuesday when her sister had told her that the couple had been arguing lately. Mr Roberts had been complaining that he was in financial difficulty because his pension was less than before due to some British government changes in the way it was paid.

Apparently the wife did not accept this and suggested that her husband might be spending money on a woman on the side and this led to them arguing frequently.

It's well known, and easily verifiable, that a lot of less than rich Brit expats are under financial pressure because of the fall of their currency with Brexit and other issues.

The fact that the guy's wife somehow didn't believe him on that point and that led to their arguing might be considered a bit on the concerning side -- especially where the farang husband of a Thai wife who believes he's cheating on her suddenly ends up dead in the river.

Some of this story doesn`t make sense.

The report said; - changes in the way the British government pay pensions may have led to the man taking his own life in despair - Not true. The man was 74 years old and should had received his UK State pension at age 65, 9 years ago. There have been changes in the UK State pension but those were implemented after 6 April 2016 and only affected pensioners claiming their pensions  born after 6 April 1951. So this man would have been on the old UK State pension system. Only problem for UK State pensioners living in Thailand, is that their pensions are frozen from the first day of entitlement, so his pension would not had the annual inflationary increase as of those resident in the UK.. Which means after 9 years and with the decrease in bank £ to bahts exchange rates, his income would have been very low unless he had private pensions to top up his earnings.

The report said; There was a driving license in his pocket, 2,640 baht in cash, a house key and car keys for a Mitsubishi. He was wearing a watch and carrying an appointment card for a visit to the Krung Thep Phitsanulok Hospital. - If the man was going to jump in a river to commit suicide, why was he carrying all that stuff upon his person?

IMHO; I believe this was a tragic accident. Maybe he accidentally tripped or came over dizzy then fell in the river. The bruise could be accounted for by hitting some stones or an object as he fell in.  

Poor old guy, a very sad thing to have happened.

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Regardless, Thais have no idea about the UK and money. A friend of mines wife wants him to go back to England and send her 100,000 a month. She will not accept that this is an unrealistic amount and she continuously calls him lazy for not doing it. She is seriously convinced that we can all earn half a million a month easily!

Sorry, but I just can't believe this is anything more than divisive anti-social  twaddle.  There has to be something wrong with every person nominated as a character in  this urban myth if it ever had oxygen for more than a few seconds. I'd accept it might have arisen as  an idea for devising a joke during a convivial private drinking session, but it's tasteless, immature and tacky. 

Archived