Mystery surrounds death of British pensioner found floating in Nan River in Phitsanulok

webfact

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Well, if it looks like murder, it won't be difficult to find one or two scapegoats.  There are probably poor Laotian and Burmese guys all over the place, who can just be grabbed and forced to confess.

At least two needed, makes the effort all worthwhile 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Crowes said:

I could never imagine putting my retirement in the hands of a state sponsored pension. It just sounds like a recipe for failure.

Unfortunately in the UK we were given NO choice of staying in or opting out. National Insurance was compulsory for both the employee and the employer.

Nowadays I have no idea as I left the IK years ago but still get my (frozen) state pension.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2560 at 6:40 AM, lemonjelly said:

Money finished...... wife not happy.... dies in mysterious circumstances..... I see a pattern.

Keys of car in pocket, no sign of car nearby, went out in car, car missing, spare car key? Bruise on arm, not believing that the pound has devalued, not change in pension , change in exchange rate.

My friend has problem with his wife also, she is very angry as he tries to explain to her that he can not give her as much now as pound has gone down, not change in pension.

Very bad reporting, case closed now.

20 hours ago, saakura said:

Umm...so that it will be ruled as a simple case of suicide?

Umm.... hasn't prevented previous cases being classed as  "suicide"  when there's been no "evidence" found on the body. Anyway, drowning oneself seems a rather difficult way to end it all -  I can think of easier ways. IMHO this seems to be nothing more than a tragic accident, or possibly stroke/heart attack, but we will probably never have a follow up story to confirm  that, so the conspiracies will continue.

On 05/12/2017 at 5:31 PM, sambum said:

I think that the police assuming suicide in  "the void of no information" is as much to blame as anything,

The first line of the article reads thus:

Police are keeping an open mind in the death of a British pensioner found dead in the Nan River in downtown Phitsanulok yesterday.

They are working on several theories - suicide, accident or foul play.

1 hour ago, onthesoi said:

The first line of the article reads thus:

Police are keeping an open mind in the death of a British pensioner found dead in the Nan River in downtown Phitsanulok yesterday.

They are working on several theories - suicide, accident or foul play.

I was referring to the fact that usually the police assume suicide in "the void of no information" - not in this particular case - did you not read the rest of my post? :-

"and the last couple of days has seen instances where the police are at least making statements where they are not assuming anything until they have more evidence. A step forward in the right direction, possibly?"

30 minutes ago, sambum said:

I was referring to the fact that usually the police assume suicide in "the void of no information" - not in this particular case - did you not read the rest of my post? :-

"and the last couple of days has seen instances where the police are at least making statements where they are not assuming anything until they have more evidence. A step forward in the right direction, possibly?"

I did read your post but it did not include the word usually.    ...nor did you say you were refferring to other cases so it confused me as I thought you were being on topic

The source article was published the day after the event, I doubt there were many reports before this one, certainly not several days before as that would be before the event took place.

Can you provide links to these reports you speak of?

38 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

I did read your post but it did not include the word usually.    ...nor did you say you were refferring to other cases so it confused me as I thought you were being on topic

The source article was published the day after the event, I doubt there were many reports before this one, certainly not several days before as that would be before the event took place.

Can you provide links to these reports you speak of?

You used the phrase "the void of no information" yourself in your reply (Post # 68) to dick dasterdly's Post # 65 where he refers to several other cases i.e. :- 

"The unfortunate part is that so many of us are left wondering as we've read FAR too many weird stories about farang 'suicides and accidents' :sad:.There are rarely 'follow up' stories in these obviously suspicious deaths,"

Those are the reports that I "speak of".

I agree with what he says, and I believe I was being completely on topic when I said that the police statement made a "step in the right direction" when they were more guarded in their comments  in the light of the evidence they had, rather than jumping to the usual conclusions.

On 05/12/2017 at 5:25 PM, grumbleweed said:

I knew Trevor, although I had not seen him for a while.

As far as I was aware, he had no financial worries and his wife was gonna be well taken care of after his death. 

To be fair, having met his wife a couple of times, I would've jumped in the river a long time ago. She's a nasty vindictive piece of work. However; this was not his style.

Anyone who knew him would tell you that to suggest he had a bit of spare is absolutely ludicrous. And this coming from his wife's family.

Draw your own conclusions

RIP my friend

You just have known him pretty well to have an intimate knowledge of his finances and to the character of his wife.  When you say:  "She's a nasty vindictive piece of work" can you provide more detail as its possible even the police might not know that and information like that should be made public at this time before the case is closed.

...Im sure you would want your friend's death to be thoroughly investigated and for the police to have all the information to hand.  I mean your comment about his finances already contradicts the wifes story so maybe there has been foul play as you suggest.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:56 PM, bazza73 said:

I think he might have been sarcastic.

Really and why would you think that? Based on this individuals previous posts I would be hard pressed to think it anything other than a deflection. What actually happend to Trevor is still unknown and likely to remain so. 

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 8:16 PM, onthesoi said:

You just have known him pretty well to have an intimate knowledge of his finances and to the character of his wife.  When you say:  "She's a nasty vindictive piece of work" can you provide more detail as its possible even the police might not know that and information like that should be made public at this time before the case is closed.

...Im sure you would want your friend's death to be thoroughly investigated and for the police to have all the information to hand.  I mean your comment about his finances already contradicts the wifes story so maybe there has been foul play as you suggest.

Thai police gleaming info from a farang -  not in this life time. 

On 12.5.2017 at 7:50 AM, colinneil said:

RIP ol lad, whatever happened to you will probably never be known.

One thing though the way we are treated by the UK government regarding pensions is disgusting.

Wife always nagging about money, hellish, i know.

My ex was always nagging about give me more money, never stopped.

It is enough to make any man want to end it.

the standard practice should be.... once the wife/gf etc. ask for money/ or nag u about it ( = the classic thai disease )  u should promote her to the position of your ex wife / ex gf and find an intelligent best slightly younger women  who has a stable well paid job and can take care for herself....this will dramaticaly increase your quality of life in your last years as u also suddenly might have a partner at ur side who honestly like / love u as a person / human individual and not your wallet or what comes out of it....

On 5/12/2017 at 7:08 PM, NCFC said:

Why wouldn't you read beyond the headlines before contacting your friend? Then you would have known it wasn't your friend in the river.

My post said.......   "who I cannot contact."   Translated into plain English, that means I had already been trying to contact him for 2 days before the body was found and could not do so.  Specifically he was not answering texts, phone calls, line or emails for 2 days.  Have since made contact with him, and he tells me he is still alive..

Archived