FB ‘likes’ can constitute criminal conspiracy in eyes of law enforcers

webfact

FB ‘likes’ can constitute criminal conspiracy in eyes of law enforcers
By Wasamon Audjarint
The Nation

fc65132bfafbdb2bac401e66b817b84b.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- MANY people are unaware that online acts as simple as pressing “like” on a Facebook status could land them in trouble with Thailand’s computer-related crime law.

In one of the most recent cases, a policeman was summoned as a witness last week after his Facebook account left a “like” on a message allegedly defaming a senior police officer.

“We found that you pressed ‘like’ in agreement with that message, an act that increased the credibility of such information,” Pol Major Samrerng Naew-in, an investigating officer at Chonburi Police Station, said in the summons to Pol Sergeant Chakpong Wongchit.

Chakpong’s Facebook account left a “like” on a post with messages and voice records criticising Pol Maj-General Kritsakorn Pleethanyawong, deputy commander of the Provincial Police Region 2.

As Kritsakorn had filed a defamation complaint against Pol Captain Watcharin Benchanathasawat, who posted the original message, Chakpong was consequently called in as a witness.

The Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD) has said in the past that anyone pressing “like” to a wrongful online status can be guilty as the Criminal Code’s Article 83 punishes a conspirator to a wrongful action.

“An act of liking a wrongful Facebook status is equal to signing to endorse such an act,” the TCSD said. “While likers may not have the direct intention [on the wrongful act], an act of pressing ‘like’ increases the credibility of such information,” the TCSD said.

However, Thai Netizen Network co-founder Sarinee Achavanuntakul said that merely pressing “like” can’t reflect the true intention of the person. “Only thought police would assume that ‘liking’ is a pure agreement,” she said. She saw pressing “like” as a mere reaction and did not see how it could add more weight to the credibility of the status.

“It doesn’t matter how wrongful that online message is,” she said. “Pressing ‘like’ shouldn’t be wrong from the start. It doesn’t even have enough weight to judge a liker as being involved in such a post – that he has to be summoned as a witness.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30314936

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-12

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ebony19 said:

Dear Thailand:passifier:

Please where I came from...

There's something called freedom of speech and expression!!!

It just fun.:sorry:

...5555. you're in LOS now, bud... unless you're rich of course, then no problems..... always undecided....

1 minute ago, Jessi said:

New button coming soon:

"I cant press like as I'm in Thailand"

That should fix it.

Don't click LIKE on this or it may get you in deep Sh!t.

How about pressing 'like' for an article you don't agree with but maybe well argued and written? I've done that in the past but now that can land me in serious trouble.

This country seems to be getting more paranoid and authoritarian by the day.

Better not to have an opinion,be part of the silent majority,

thats what is happening here,even if 100% true,you can still

be sued,and all that entails in a Thai court room.

regards worgeordie

I find it highly unlikely that other countries will rush to follow Thailands lead on this stupidity.

I can see Thai coppers with their feet up trolling through FB pages, being commended for record numbers of arrests.

The Computer Crimes Act and the Defamation laws need to go.

I think the problem is they don't know how to control social media and the problems it keeps throwing in their faces. So they are using  the CCA which basically makes it illegal (in some shape or form) to even boot up any device smarter than a calculator. I don't know why the bother, they should just use the UTU law (Up To Us) which is what they normally do in ensuring they are right and you are always wrong...unless it gets out on Social Media and creates an uproar, which comes back to my original point.

If one presses like on a topic it doesn't necessarily mean they like or support it.

Lets say Bill Smith sees a topic on facebook about corruption and incompetence concerning the Thai Police.  Bill has 1,000 Facebook friends, he presses like and his friends are alerted that Bill liked a post and they are made aware of it.  That topic showing the BIB in a bad light has spread thus they are smacked in the face with a shovel again.  Their incompetence is spreading across the globe.

7 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

In a police state everything becomes illegal as there is no rule of law.

Everything's illegal and they just prosecute the people they don't like.  For whatever reason.

But it was also happening under the veneer of democracy.  It's not as if the elected officials actually ran things, except as they were told.

A lot of the problems coming out are I think from gross failings in the educational system. This would be coupled to the fact most of the brighter students pursue the Sciences rather than the Humanities.

Lack of education and societal norms (which I can't see working in a modern society) are producing quite an implosion. The only answer at the moment seems to be driving the society backwards.

In a culture where the use of language is seen as symbolic power, we are at point where it is very difficult to stop the common man wielding it. Actions at the moment are aimed at taking that power away and trying to put it back where it (is believed) to belong. In today's world is this going to be possible, we will have to keep watching.

Archived