FB ‘likes’ can constitute criminal conspiracy in eyes of law enforcers

webfact

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Another good reason not to join Facebook....

I can think of a thousands reasons not to join facebook. But to many it`s become a mainstay of their lives, an addiction, they just cannot help themselves.

30 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

It's especially dangerous if you're a dictator.  Just ask Mubarak, Ben Ali, Qaddafi (not possible now), and Bashar.

Oh crap, I clicked like.  I mean I love Prayuth, he is my god and I worship you my lord.

18 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I do admire you for standing up for your beliefs. Must say you are a better man than I am, gunga din.

You get up there on your social media platform and give it to em straight. I won`t be clicking any likes to your posts, but you would win my praises, only my gut feeling tells me you are all mouth and no trousers as are many of the other posters who shout, fight the good fight! But if it came to the crunch you`ll still be hiding behind your user name as a keyboard warrior. There won`t be any fall guys among you.

You almost sound like you'd enjoy that. Not just me, but any other 'farang' being taken down by the mighty government here for clicking like or expressing an opinion. 

I get the impression that you're probably not a fan of foreigners in your own country. You probably believe they have too many rights and wish you could tell them what to do. But, this is 2017 where decency is what is expected of people. You live vicariously through Thais getting all excited at telling foreigners "shut up or go home" something that would be totally pig ignorant in your own country. 

That feeling that niggles away at some people everyday, it's called an 'inferiority complex'. People often feel it when they believe they're important or superior to others but know they can't really act on it or don't feel they're appreciated. It suppresses anger which vents out in other ways.

Accept that we are all part of the same decaying matter and you'll be a much happier person. 

It has probably been pointed out before but Jonathan Head could be proved right against the improper lawyer practices, but in Thailand 'loss of face' is top of the tree. The lawyer could get 2000 Baht fine and Mr Head 5 years even though he proves his case.

04d4b30f0cc064d7ada48a9640f1f1d1.jpeg

I feel this latest stuff is another step in stopping criticism which the top people deem defamatory. 

5 hours ago, baboon said:

I hate(d) Margaret Thatcher but I read and enjoyed her biography. Your post demonstrates the single track and unimaginative thinking of the military mind - it is quite possible to show one's appreciation of quality writing or arguments without agreeing with the subject or the opinion of the writer.

Even to some military minds you know!

:laugh:

I think "authoritarian" or possibly "blinkered" would fit better....

3 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I almost admire their chutzpah for they don't want this ...

Oh how I would like to see that look that crosses his face 1' 32" in pass across a few other faces......

It will one day.

8 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

Same risk as you smoked a joint before boarding a plane at Schiphol ; and got an urine test just after landing at Swampy!

No

UK has freedom of speech and drug laws

Drugs as we know wreak lives and cause so much pain to family and friends.

Freedom of speech, did not millions give there lives for freedom in the 1940's yet here we have a idiot who has done nothing in his life try to tell the world what we can do and not do. This man would run for the hills at the first sign of trouble, He should look at history and what happened to some of the so called bad people like Augusto José Ramón Pinochet

8 hours ago, digger70 said:

Freedom of speech,freedom of pressing a button,Next thing they come up with a lie detecter test machine to verify what you are thinking.what's this world coming to.Instead of all this Bullshit why don't they start catching Criminals ,fight Corruption and get the country safer with the cops doing their job on the roads like traffic rules and regulations.

Thought Crime. They would if they could! The movie Minority Report covered it.

15 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

So a Farang in her own country presses the like button and then comes on holiday and gets arrested under CCA. That will do wonders for tourism if they try that on and they will as we know.

I believe you could press " like " outside of Thailand and still be prosecuted under this Thai law. The difference is few if any countries would recognize this as an offense as there are no similar laws (as it is interpreted) in other countries. I know the U.S. In conforming to its own "Freedom of Speech" as well as UN Charter members outside of Thailand would find pursuing such charges impossible.

That said, I do not have an issue with Thailand enforcing protection of its Royal family from attack, but in my humble opinion, this should come under the Royal Household to decide on charges of direct attack. Unfortunately, that is not how this principle is being pursued.

7 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I believe you could press " like " outside of Thailand and still be prosecuted under this Thai law. The difference is few if any countries would recognize this as an offense as there are no similar laws (as it is interpreted) in other countries. I know the U.S. In conforming to its own "Freedom of Speech" as well as UN Charter members outside of Thailand would find pursuing such charges impossible.

That said, I do not have an issue with Thailand enforcing protection of its Royal family from attack, but in my humble opinion, this should come under the Royal Household to decide on charges of direct attack. Unfortunately, that is not how this principle is being pursued.

You are correct, hopefully TV will not mind me stepping this up a bit as it looks like a few people on here are still unsure of how the CCA can affect you when writing on FB Twitter and even Trust Pilot and any thing that is connected to a computer or mobile phone.

This is how bad it is

If you put a comment on say Trust Pilot saying you had a bad meal in a restaurant here or the hotel you stayed in was bad value for money, then you become liable under that law. Write on any social media site anything about the country or person when you are in another country, then go here and you become liable again.

This is fact, I wish I could say more.

Don't click like or share on any social media or write comments anywhere if you plan to visit.

I thought certain laws applied to things like this about where and what country the 'crime' was committed. So I guess if you 'liked' a post in  another country and then came here your would be OK.  

OR.

Does not withdrawing a 'like' and coming here leave you open to prosecution ?  

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I thought certain laws applied to things like this about where and what country the 'crime' was committed. So I guess if you 'liked' a post in  another country and then came here your would be OK.  

OR.

Does not withdrawing a 'like' and coming here leave you open to prosecution ?  

Once a person submits a post or clicks a like on farcebook, it is recorded even if the person deletes a post or reverses a like later on. Whatever you publish or do on farcebook will be held and could be used as evidence against you.

Having an opinion does not automatically make an individual guilty, agreeable, sympathetic bla bla bla...

I for one, dislike Facebook but I do believe we all have rights to expression and thought.

If I don't like someone that's my right. However, it does not mean I want to harm that person.

Restricting people may increase their disapproval?

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Once a person submits a post or clicks a like on farcebook, it is recorded even if the person deletes a post or reverses a like later on. Whatever you publish or do on farcebook will be held and could be used as evidence against you.

yes, but if you did it in another country, is your 'live' like still punishable in this country ? 

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

yes, but if you did it in another country, is your 'live' like still punishable in this country ? 

If your posts or likes on the social media contravenes the laws of Thailand, then of course that is still considered an offence here, no matter from where you publish and upload from. This means that you could be accountable for the offence if you enter Thailand.

Simple answer is not to do it and not to place yourself at risk and vulnerable. Resist the temptation however strong your feelings, unless having no intentions of ever visiting Thailand again. My old dad used to say; wherever you`ve been, always leave the doors open to you.

On 5/12/2017 at 1:45 PM, Redline said:

Ummmmm, what if it was an accident?  A slip of the finger.  Unintentional.  How could that hold up in a court of law, if there were nothing else to back it up?

Not much of a Facebook user if you don't know that clicking the like button once marks the post or comment as 'liked' and clicking it again un-marks it.  

Anyone accidentally clicking, just needs to click again and the 'like' is gone.  

Archived