BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Phuket hospital hits back over UK claims they put money first after tourist's motorbike accident

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"This was Jake's second road traffic accident in less than three weeks. The first claim, submitted on the 26th April, has already been approved. However, Jake's decision to climb onto another moped just five days after undergoing major surgery on his injured arm was considered to be reckless behaviour by our assistance team, which means he does not qualify for cover in this case.

There's a first.

I agree with the insurance company. 

26 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That 'free emergency treatment' does not cover foreigners.

That free emergency treatment covers foreigners who have wifes civil service cover.

Most foreigners though are not covered.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I think your argument that 70% of accident victims here leaving hospital on a bike is non relevant. He was a tourist on travel insurance not a local on the family conveyance.

The second accident was 3 weeks later and I can see the insurance company's reasoning that riding pillion with one arm in a sling could be foolhardy.

I'm not necessarily agreeing the company made the right decision, I do think the smaller cheaper ones sometimes seize any excuse to reject claims. Also the conflicting versions of the accident is concerning.

The mother telling lies about the level of hospital treatment to bolster funding efforts is lamentable. Some readers may be aware there is a government funding initiative now in place which requires hospitals to give free emergency treatment in circumstances like this.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/976378-72-hour-emergency-treatment-for-free-at-any-hospital/

I agree the mother is wrong to lie. 

If she is lying, that is...

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

To my mind riding pillion with a broken arm in plaster is not "reckless".

To my mind even sitting on a stationary motorbike in Thailand is reckless. These things are hideously dangerous as this chap has discovered (twice).

I've not been on a motorbike anywhere for more than 40 years and have intention of ever doing so.

37 minutes ago, tonray said:

When I was responsible for care of my elderly mom, at each hospital admission after providing insurance info, I had to sign a statement saying I would cover anything over and above insurance or they would  not admit her, they would provide emergency care but no admission unless I signed. This was in the US. If hospitals treated everyone for free, there would be no hospitals to treat anyone. Jake was not a taxpayer in Thailand so why would Mum expect free treatment ?

The trap in that US hospital policy is that the hospital can charge whatever they want, and the insurance company can pay based on whatever they think are "reasonable and customary charges".  I got caught out on several (fortunately minor) incidents where the difference between them was over 50% of the charges.  So, in spite of having 90% coverage, I was still out of pocket for 50%, with me being the only one of the 3 parties that had insufficient data to argue with either of the other 2.  Had it been, for example, cancer treatment I would have been bankrupted in spite of having very expensive "insurance". 

In the case of the OP, I can see where a mother sitting 5000 miles away may honestly believe her son isn't getting all the care he needs.  And I can see a hospital claiming they're doing everything to save the guy's life, while withholding other treatment to make sure he isn't maimed for the rest of his life.  Tough one to judge from the peanut gallery here...

Sorry to say Thailand is not a charity, especially to foreigners who either come to Thailand without insurance, or don't check their insurance policy on what it covers them for. If you think private hospitals operate the same way as the NHS, they don't. So if you can't pay, then of course they don't treat you, in which case you should go to a normal government hospital like the rest of the Thai population. 

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

That free emergency treatment covers foreigners who have wifes civil service cover.

Most foreigners though are not covered.

The civil service cover for spouses is a completely different cover, and has nothing to do with the free emergency treatment.

21 minutes ago, the guest said:

Sorry to say Thailand is not a charity, especially to foreigners who either come to Thailand without insurance, or don't check their insurance policy on what it covers them for. If you think private hospitals operate the same way as the NHS, they don't. So if you can't pay, then of course they don't treat you, in which case you should go to a normal government hospital like the rest of the Thai population. 

Still he was and is being treated.

8 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The civil service cover for spouses is a completely different cover, and has nothing to do with the free emergency treatment.

You are partially correct, i have cover with the wifes insurance, but i am restricted to 2 hospitals, but can get only emergency cover at other government hospitals.

I worked here in a Hospital for 20 years rarely seen when not zero at all that a treatment been refused....what does happend if coverage is declined then assessment of financial payment is being addressed to relatives and further if does not work out than it is transferred to a gov. Hospital because of high cost associated in a private sector.

But this is a last resort private hospital direction they go...many 1000 had been treated and money annual lost because of coverage decline...

I do not believe there is such a thing as a charity hospital maybe at one time but not any longer. Even the ones owned by religious organizations still have bills to pay. 

3 hours ago, retell said:

should this not be on the insurance of the dricer of the van????

What a good question!

Of course only a good question in the van had insurance beyond the legal requirements.

But, leave it to insurance companies to find any reason not to honour a claim.

10 minutes ago, boooker said:

I worked here in a Hospital for 20 years rarely seen when not zero at all that a treatment been refused....what does happend if coverage is declined then assessment of financial payment is being addressed to relatives and further if does not work out than it is transferred to a gov. Hospital because of high cost associated in a private sector.

But this is a last resort private hospital direction they go...many 1000 had been treated and money annual lost because of coverage decline...

High cost in the private sector?

You mean bloated prices, unnecessary tests & all?

Over a million baht in just a week- sweet!

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So his travel insurance did cover traveling by motor bike, but only once a year it seems. To my mind riding pillion with a broken arm in plaster is not "reckless".

70% of the traffic accident victims leaving the hospital do so by bike. It is absolutely normal here. Many have no other way of getting home.

I hope the insurance companies miserable argument is seen for what it is, and others spend their money with a firm who can be trusted.

Sorry but disagree, if he's only just recovering from a previous accident then surely u wouldn't jump bac on a moped even as passenger. Get taxi or uber just as cheap as motorcycle taxi.

But agree with u on insurance companies coming up with their pathetic excuses for any claim we all make.