BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Phuket hospital hits back over UK claims they put money first after tourist's motorbike accident

Whatever he is improving..time to move him to a government hospital, to lower costs, and a VIP room at government hospital is a lot cheaper than where he is now. Save trying to milk the go fund me network for more money than is required. allow the funds to be donated to others in need.

Very good point Old Croc.

I am in your position, pay, pay ,pay premiums that have never claimed on as have been both lucky health wise

& cautious when driving on these mad roads her (over 1mil Km ) & never had to make a claim ...... touch wood

13 minutes ago, gamini said:

you are wrong. as a permanent resident many years ago I got the free emergency treatment "id"  and I still have it.

that is a silly remark. 

PR is radically different than a tourist visa or exemption - PR comes with many benefits, something you are likely aware of if you have been through the onerous process of attaining it.

11 minutes ago, gamini said:

you are wrong. as a permanent resident many years ago I got the free emergency treatment "id"  and I still have it.

Your ID has nothing to do with the new 'free 72 hour emergency treatment'.

You may be, inadvertently,  correct in that this new rule also applies to permanent residents, I don't know.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Try and get treated in the US or the UK after an accident ......

of course they want to confirm how the treatment is going to be paid ..... they are a business not a charity.

The UK will treat EVERYONE in an emergency, no question... questions only come later for non-British subjects with regards payment. This is the way of a civilised society, though obviously foreigners take the piss.

But the op title is just face-saving hot air. Everyone knows how it is in Thailand regards money and hospitals; they are businesses first and foremost.

The insurance firm sounds like a Mickey Mouse outfit that is disregarding local reports of the bike being rear-ended and thus self-justifying non-payment. His family and friends will likely spread the word on social media and it will cost them more than the million baht treatment. Not a given by any stretch as insurers can be cheating scum, but best to stick with the big guys, folks.

25,000 pounds for his accident and he's only been in hospital for about a week! So he got a bang on the head and a broken leg, recovering well, sure the hospital will ramp up their fees, but not 25,000 pounds worth. 

4 hours ago, retell said:

should this not be on the insurance of the dricer of the van????

No. He was Thai, so exempt from responsibility.

The relevant part of the policy wording states as follows:

Reckless or malicious acts

We will not pay for any claim arising or resulting from you being involved in any malicious, reckless, illegal or criminal act. 

A definition of a reckless act is open to interpretation and, provided the victim was wearing a helmet (riding without a helmet is definitely excluded under this particular policy) I think he would have a chance of a without prejudice partial settlement from the insurance company if he and his family file a complaint with the insurance ombudsman's office. 

Just now, JaseTheBass said:

No. He was Thai, so exempt from responsibility.

That's not strickly true, if this driver was caught by police (I understand he drove away and has not been caught ?) then the police would negotiate compensation if the driver did not have first class insurance, to save the driver going to jail.

It would be interesting to see a break-down of the cost. 1Mill? What made it so expensive? Those doctors must be very well paid, or drugs very expensive. Does the hippocratic oath apply over here?  I see never getting on a motorbike for any reason whatsoever in Thailand as a form of personal health insurance.

7 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

That's not strickly true, if this driver was caught by police (I understand he drove away and has not been caught ?) then the police would negotiate compensation if the driver did not have first class insurance, to save the driver going to jail.

Even stronger, if it is a commercial van (very likely) it will have insurance.

8 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

That's if the police can be bothered doing their job.

18 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

The UK will treat EVERYONE in an emergency, no question... questions only come later for non-British subjects with regards payment. This is the way of a civilised society, though obviously foreigners take the piss.

But the op title is just face-saving hot air. Everyone knows how it is in Thailand regards money and hospitals; they are businesses first and foremost.

The insurance firm sounds like a Mickey Mouse outfit that is disregarding local reports of the bike being rear-ended and thus self-justifying non-payment. His family and friends will likely spread the word on social media and it will cost them more than the million baht treatment. Not a given by any stretch as insurers can be cheating scum, but best to stick with the big guys, folks.

"But the op title is just face-saving hot air. Everyone knows how it is in Thailand regards money and hospitals; they are businesses first and foremost."

So how do you explain the victim here receiving treatment without insurance cover or any payment guarantee.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

To my mind even sitting on a stationary motorbike in Thailand is reckless. These things are hideously dangerous as this chap has discovered (twice).

I've not been on a motorbike anywhere for more than 40 years and have intention of ever doing so.

Don't forget to put on your bright yellow fluro jacket when you close the house door on the way out... it's dangerous out there...

He paid his policy and the insurance company entered into an agreement to cover him. He then had an accident where he had to claim. After that accident the insurance company should have told him that any further claims would be refused. Whether they considered him reckless or not ( he was not driving just a passenger so this is higly debatable ) they still had a contract with him and as such should pay the claim.