Bangkok motorcyclists beware! - no license and cops will take your bike!

webfact

Bangkok motorcyclists beware! - no license and cops will take your bike!

1am.jpg
Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok police have said that from next week motorcyclists riding without a license and insurance will have their bikes taken away, albeit temporarily.

The announcement comes after a ministerial level meeting was held Tuesday in which orders were issued to get tough with the illegal activity of motorcyclists, reported Thai Rath.

Those who drive the wrong way, drive on the sidewalk and break the speed limit can also expect to be fined between 500 and a 1,000 baht.

Announcing the news Withaya Prayongphan of the met police said that he had instructed all 88 metropolitan police stations to get tough after orders from national police chief Jakrathip Chaijinda came following a ministerial level meeting about traffic and road accidents on Tuesday.

He said that statistics gathered at Songkran showed that 30-40% of motorcyclists involved in accidents had no license or insurance.

He was referring to the Phor Ror Bor insurance that costs bikers about 600 baht annually for cover. Licenses cannot be renewed unless this has been paid up front.

Withaya said that confiscation of vehicles would be temporary.

Fines for other illegal driving offences would be as follows:

Driving in the wrong direction: 500 baht.

Driving on the footpath: 400 to 1,000 baht

Not wearing a helmet: 500 baht.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-12

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At long last a move to stop some of the madness on the roads. It would be best if they held on to the bike until the person came to collect it, WITH a driving license.

I also hope they don't just restrict this to just Bangkok, but do it nationwide. Folks will get the message quite quickly.

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

At long last a move to stop some of the madness on the roads. It would be best if they held on to the bike until the person came to collect it, WITH a driving license.

I also hope they don't just restrict this to just Bangkok, but do it nationwide.

100% right, make sure when they collect the bike they have everything, licence, insurance , and a crash helmet, oh and sober would be nice

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He was referring to the Phor Ror Bor insurance that costs bikers about 600 baht

And where did they get this figure from? I renewed 3 weeks ago and it was 325 baht.......

Just checked and probably refers to a car as my compulsory insurance for a truck was 645 baht

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:

It won't happen. Just more pocket money for the police.

Where do you think that the cops got their personal motor bikes that they are riding ? 90% probably were from taking them away from racers and youngsters with no license.

Good take them and the cars too! That way next time someone scratches up my vehicles they wont need to run away because they will have a license!

Fact is police should be taken off the force for asking/accepting bribes so they dont take the bikes which is all that will come from this circus act.

2 hours ago, topt said:

And where did they get this figure from? I renewed 3 weeks ago and it was 325 baht.......

Just checked and probably refers to a car as my compulsory insurance for a truck was 645 baht

Does that not depend on size of the bike? 

43 minutes ago, Namplik said:

Does that not depend on size of the bike? 

Don't know but even if it is for the average user it is still not going to cost them anywhere near 600 baht.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Collecting the uninsured motorbikes in the village(s) would seriously calm traffic :biggrin:

As well as the underage unlicensed. One family bought a 9 year old a small motorbike which has since been discarded  and now just short of 11 she rides around on a full sized one.

Next week's headlines:

Commerce grinds to a halt in Bangkok as a large percentage of deliveries cease, and vast numbers of employees can't get to work in the morning...

The Elite won't stand for it.

6 hours ago, Sure said:

Nevermind motorcyclists, what about car drivers driving illegally?

What do you mean never mind motorcyclists? What nonsense. Do you never walk on Bangkoks pavements?

4 hours ago, topt said:

Last time I renewed my motorbike licence I did not need the insurance , do the mean the motor bike registration? 

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The 'crackdown' will last until the middle of next week and then be forgotten. Like every other 'crackdown'.

What???? That's more than the usual 24 hours.

Archived