Bangkok motorcyclists beware! - no license and cops will take your bike!

webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, digger70 said:

Hang on a smakking min, what about the rest of the country.they just don't give a shit do they,Police the law throughout the country otherwise don't bother.

Naw... Bangkok is its own little world of weirdness, with strange laws singling out motorcyclists apparently, because they're a lower class of people than automobile drivers. Requiring motorbikes to keep to the far left is probably a big reason why motorbike fatalities are so high in Thailand. But too... Motorbikes can't use one or another (or several) bridges? How is that fair or right? Motorbikes can't go on this or that flyover, but must instead plunge down into the crowded intersection below and take ten minutes to navigate an area than should take ten seconds? Why? Motorbikes and motorcycles can't use the toll roads? Why not? Maybe the small ones don't have enough power, but the rest do.

The real problem with traffic in Bangkok is that they oversold automobiles, complete with government subsidies for their purchase a few years ago. Now motorcyclists are expected to pay the price? If the folks in Bangkok really want to reduce traffic congestion, then reduce the number of automobiles and trucks on the roadways. Implement odd/even driving days based on license plate numbers, for example. Or, subsidize the replacement of large autos and trucks with motorcycles. You could probably park ten motorbikes in the space of one automobile.

Motorbikes and motorcycles are not the problem. Autos and trucks are what's crowding the roadways there, but then too, traffic flow in Bangkok was never designed. The flow was never thought out in any way, so far as i can tell. If they really want to optimize the mess they have, then maybe they should give bonus points to motorcyclists who park and drive on the sidewalks. That way, the people playing with their kids and talking on their cell phones in their cars and trucks will have more room in which to clog the roads while doing nothing.

But no need for "laws" that are discriminatory. You don't want motorbikes/motorcycles on this flyover, bridge, or tollway? Fine. Then no autos or trucks on the next flyover, bridge or tollway, and only motorbikes and motorcycles there. Send all the cars and trucks down into that intersection under the flyover. Tell all the car and truck drivers that they can still cross the river by going to some obscure location and loading their vehicles onto some ferry like boat thing.

But whatever you do -- keep all that Bangkok weirdness in Bangkok. The rest of the country surely doesn't need it.

15 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Last time I renewed my motorbike licence I did not need the insurance , do the mean the motor bike registration? 

See what I was quoting in post 10 - clear now...........:coffee1: 

On 5/12/2017 at 1:36 PM, topt said:

And where did they get this figure from? I renewed 3 weeks ago and it was 325 baht.......

Just checked and probably refers to a car as my compulsory insurance for a truck was 645 baht

600 is for a bike. 325 is for a scooter.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:06 AM, darksidedog said:

At long last a move to stop some of the madness on the roads. It would be best if they held on to the bike until the person came to collect it, WITH a driving license.

I also hope they don't just restrict this to just Bangkok, but do it nationwide. Folks will get the message quite quickly.

You know, just the odd police patrol would sort out many problems. Many of the worst offenders never go out to the main police money-pots and thus never get caught.

The only time you see police out - generally 2up on 150cc bikes with bullet proof vests and side-arms. Strangely looking similar to protection racketeers, visiting business premises for reasons not widely understood.

They'll ride straight past any offences being committed. Police work is not in their job description. This move has nothing to do with actually stopping the madness.

On 5/12/2017 at 11:32 AM, Sure said:

Nevermind motorcyclists, what about car drivers driving illegally?

Cars cannot drive illegally, they obviously are of a higher class with a more respectable disposable income than motorcyclists. It would be rude to cause them to lose face by stopping them and suggesting that they may not be wholly better class of people. I remember one report about a policeman who was stopped by police, they were punished for not knowing better. They suggested he should take a breath test... Big no-no.

Just ONE patrol car cruising up and down Pattaya's Beach road... stop people for a quick breath test as they pull away... might give people pause for thought as they drive up, park, drink 6-7 gottles of gear and then drive away.

On 5/12/2017 at 1:11 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

The 'crackdown' will last until the middle of next week and then be forgotten. Like every other 'crackdown'.

Like every other part of their education and training. Whatever they 'memorise' in school has only to be retained for a week; after the 'test' it's best forgotten so that one may focus on the next requirement.

On 5/12/2017 at 9:45 AM, webfact said:

He said that statistics gathered at Songkran showed that 30-40% of motorcyclists involved in accidents had no license or insurance.

Yes this was enough statistically to get you into the flavor of the day category. 

On 5/12/2017 at 10:06 AM, darksidedog said:

At long last a move to stop some of the madness on the roads. It would be best if they held on to the bike until the person came to collect it, WITH a driving license.

I also hope they don't just restrict this to just Bangkok, but do it nationwide. Folks will get the message quite quickly.

Great idea but baby steps. 

Great idea but baby steps. 

You think it is a great idea to give please a ticket to go it's dumping thousands of bikes, but not to bother with cars? Why is the differentiation? Do you want to support racism?

Surely if they have power to seize the vehicle for an unlicensed driver, it should not be specified what the vehicle is.

To accept such a measure is to support absolute and unreasonable rule...

Sent from my nose.

45 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

You think it is a great idea to give please a ticket to go it's dumping thousands of bikes, but not to bother with cars? Why is the differentiation? Do you want to support racism?

Surely if they have power to seize the vehicle for an unlicensed driver, it should not be specified what the vehicle is.

Sent from my nose.

OMG seriously??.   You know anything about Thailand a military coup is the boss you have any idea?

They can do anything they want.  Deal with it!!

OMG seriously??.   You know anything about Thailand a military coup is the boss you have any idea?
They can do anything they want.  Deal with it!!

I have every idea, that doesn't make this a good idea, it makes it a further blatant statement of fascist power.

Sent from my nose.

44 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

I have every idea, that doesn't make this a good idea, it makes it a further blatant statement of fascist power.

Sent from my nose.

Sure you are probably right but you have no control over this.  It is a coup boss deal with it or move on..

Sure you are probably right but you have no control over this.  It is a coup boss deal with it or move on..

You have no control over me, deal with that and stop telling me to deal with anything or move on!

I never suggested we have power in this matter.

Sent from my nose.

3 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Sent from my nose.

Sorry need a translator on this one. 

Sorry need a translator on this one. 

Wow, yes- phone went crazy. Just seems crazy police will have power to take bikes but not BMW's or Fortuners... As stated before, no fairness implied, just get the bikers!

Sent from my nose.

2 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Wow, yes- phone went crazy. Just seems crazy police will have power to take bikes but not BMW's or Fortuners... As stated before, no fairness implied, just get the bikers!

Sent from my nose.

Gotta the nose knows now. 

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, webfact said:

He said that statistics gathered at Songkran showed that 30-40% of motorcyclists involved in accidents had no license or insurance.

So, that means that 50%-60% of the accidents involved people WITH licenses. I do not condone breaking the law at all. But what are they saying? Because the numbers say that having a license and insurance involves MORE accidents.

1 minute ago, scoutman360 said:

So, that means that 50%-60% of the accidents involved people WITH licenses. I do not condone breaking the law at all. But what are they saying? Because the numbers say that having a license and insurance involves MORE accidents.

You've been watching Trump on TV.

What it means is that 60-70% of people involved in accidents involved people with licences and the rest had none. That's correct. What we would like to know is how many people on the road have licences...

The figures show that more people having accidents have licence and insurance. There is no CAUSAL effect here... having licences doesn't cause accidents. Riding bikes causes accidents, and driver training helps to limit the numbers.

Unless the police start moving around and doing some policing, then the matter is unlikely to change. I witness the SAME police blackspots now as I witnessed 10 years ago. They walk the street catching people who ride through them and not touching the ones that do a U-turn and escape, or the ones that simply ride past. They don't record numbers and follow up on offences. Only the people polite enough to stop are ever going to be caught.

I wonder why the UK police never thought of doing that - put up a tent in a park and invite people walking through to subject themselves for drug searches...

13 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

You've been watching Trump on TV.

What it means is that 60-70% of people involved in accidents involved people with licences and the rest had none. That's correct. What we would like to know is how many people on the road have licences...

The figures show that more people having accidents have licence and insurance. There is no CAUSAL effect here... having licences doesn't cause accidents. Riding bikes causes accidents, and driver training helps to limit the numbers.

Unless the police start moving around and doing some policing, then the matter is unlikely to change. I witness the SAME police blackspots now as I witnessed 10 years ago. They walk the street catching people who ride through them and not touching the ones that do a U-turn and escape, or the ones that simply ride past. They don't record numbers and follow up on offences. Only the people polite enough to stop are ever going to be caught.

I wonder why the UK police never thought of doing that - put up a tent in a park and invite people walking through to subject themselves for drug searches...

And this has what to do with Trump??

My point was that media uses statistics to emotionalize and lie to people about where the problem is. Yes, they need to enforce the law. Yes,  people need to get insurance and a license. The statistics mentioned has nothing to do with the problem.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:32 AM, Sure said:

Nevermind motorcyclists, what about car drivers driving illegally?

I am stopped by police for check almost every week when driving my motorbike, never been stopped while driving my car. Indeed I usually never see any car stopped in road blocks in Bangkok, only trucks, pick-ups, lots of motorbikes and some taxis.

My Thai wife drove car without license for months, while making the license, never stopped.

On 5/18/2017 at 10:48 AM, Xaos said:

What if u got 1 and forgot take it?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

They don't work the same as UK police - radio headquarters and check the computer... forget that. No licence then they will keep your bike until you turn up with your licence. You'll have to pay a fine for riding without the licence (it must be WITH you).

Archived