Blood Tests?

Hi all, 

I am looking into teaching jobs in Bangkok and have read about the required medical examination as part of the work visa processing. I notice that they do a blood test, which strikes me as a bit odd. What does this test look for? Drugs? Communicable diseases? I've never worked in a country that does this. 

Also, is it common for teachers to be drug tested in Bangkok? I ask because when I travel back home during breaks, I enjoy smoking a bit of pot and would hate for that to come back and bite me at some point in the future. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, allane said:

I have no recent knowledge re Bangkok, but for at least two years Surin Labour Dept.(not Immigration) has been requiring a blood test for syphillis, and a chest x-ray for TB.

And  right next door, in Buriram, there is no such requirement. Rules change from province to province.

The blood test is to rule out 3rd stage Syphilis. The items that they evaluate are :

1) 3rd stage Syphilis (blood test)

2) Elephantiasis: Clinical Evaluation

3) Drug Abuser / Alcoholic: Clinical Evaluation

4) Leprosy: Clinical Evaluation

5) Insanity: Clinical Evaluation

#5 is questionable because once you've taught in Thailand you realize that no sane person would ever don it again....ha ha ha (a little former teacher humor) 

4 hours ago, Rhys said:

.... they will test for a battery of STD and will call out syphilis.... and HIV...and call it in front of your personnel department every year...

The requirement is specifically for 3rd stage syphilis and an HIV test is not done.   There are other laws/rules about testing for HIV involving non-discrimination, but I know of several teachers who are HIV positive and it has never been tested for in the exam and never reported to anyone.  

I don't believe that they have to do a drug test, but for two years, I went in and was given a drug test (by urine) and I was told by the hospital they did for all people getting a medical for a work permit.   I don't know if that was accurate because other people did not have a drug test, and I don't recall a box for them to tick for a drug exam.  

The blood test is to rule out 3rd stage Syphilis. The items that they evaluate are :

1) 3rd stage Syphilis (blood test)

2) Elephantiasis: Clinical Evaluation

3) Drug Abuser / Alcoholic: Clinical Evaluation

4) Leprosy: Clinical Evaluation

5) Insanity: Clinical Evaluation

#5 is questionable because once you've taught in Thailand you realize that no sane person would ever don it again....ha ha ha (a little former teacher humor) 

What do you mean by "clinical evaluation"?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have taught for almost 20 years and had to get a medical every year for the renewal of the Work Permit.   Years ago, it meant going into one of the little clinics and paying 50 - 100 baht to get a doctor to ask a few questions and sign the form.  

Later it included the Syphilis test and had to be done at a first class medical facility.  

10 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Where do you work? I've been working in Bangkok for 13 years and have had to do it for every Extension/WP renewal.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nonthaburi. I've always just gotten the med certificate from the doctor. 100 baht usually. Last doc said, "you're not dead yet", and gave me the certificate. If they are thorough, they will check my heart / breathing lol

Nonthaburi. I've always just gotten the med certificate from the doctor. 100 baht usually. Last doc said, "you're not dead yet", and gave me the certificate. If they are thorough, they will check my heart / breathing lol

Sounds like how the clinic on soi 11 (now closed, I believe) used to do it. The certificate showed that the compulsory syphilis test had been done, but blood was never actually drawn!

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sounds like how the clinic on soi 11 (now closed, I believe) used to do it. The certificate showed that the compulsory syphilis test had been done, but blood was never actually drawn!

I don't recall any of mine saying anything about syphilis. 2 years ago, one clinic asked about it but I said it wasn't necessary (as I've never been asked for it before). Last April I went to the same clinic and he never mentioned it. I would need to check with the new teachers to see if they are asked for it. 

I don't recall any of mine saying anything about syphilis. 2 years ago, one clinic asked about it but I said it wasn't necessary (as I've never been asked for it before). Last April I went to the same clinic and he never mentioned it. I would need to check with the new teachers to see if they are asked for it. 

It's been a standard requirement for some years now.

On asking the doctor today, were these test required for the Thai teachers it was a resounding NO.

It seems it's only us disgusting, disease ridden foreigners that need to be checked.  There seems to be a very real fear that we, as teachers, may shag our students, as why else would we need to be tested for this. 

It has been my experience that Thai teachers have been in the news regarding relationships with their students.

A self check will tell me about elephantitus. Its quite ridiculous that they insist on these stupid and irrelevant tests.

Elephantiasis.jpg

ele2.jpg

On asking the doctor today, were these test required for the Thai teachers it was a resounding NO.
It seems it's only us disgusting, disease ridden foreigners that need to be checked.  There seems to be a very real fear that we, as teachers, may shag our students, as why else would we need to be tested for this. 
It has been my experience that Thai teachers have been in the news regarding relationships with their students.
A self check will tell me about elephantitus. Its quite ridiculous that they insist on these stupid and irrelevant tests.

Elephantiasis.jpg.a263af37f633f9094ac2d27f2674c729.jpg
ele2.jpg.d2d8d9d715a96fcc536f507268e42ca3.jpg

A doctor told me that the syphilis test was introduced for migrant labour from Myanmar and had to be applied to all foreign workers.

14 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I thinks it's part of the work permit process and Thai teachers don't need work permits. Hence, they are not tested. 

Yes, but also these are the same tests that long term visa applicants are subject to. It makes sense that if you are deciding to allow a foreigner long term stay in your country that they can be free of diseases that are deemed to be a threat to society.

11 minutes ago, tonray said:

Yes, but also these are the same tests that long term visa applicants are subject to. It makes sense that if you are deciding to allow a foreigner long term stay in your country that they can be free of diseases that are deemed to be a threat to society.

Do you know what syphilis test is used? If it is late stage syphilis then it is not contagious anyway and the test is useless for detecting a threat to others....The antibodies remain in the blood for years even after the syphilis is treated. So one could get their work permit  / extension of stay knocked back on an infection from 20 years ago. 

Just now, DavisH said:

Do you know what syphilis test is used? If it is late stage syphilis then it is not contagious anyway and the test is useless for detecting a threat to others....The antibodies remain in the blood for years even after the syphilis is treated. So one could get their work permit  / extension of stay knocked back on an infection from 20 years ago. 

It's all in Thai but it is supposed to be 3rd stage. The only English on the form says VDRL

What medical tests are "long-term visa applicants" subject to??

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What medical tests are "long-term visa applicants" subject to??

To qualify for a long stay O-A Visa....the exact same Medical Form with same disease free certification is required as for foreign teachers.

16 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Are you sure it specifies the syphilis test?

Just downloaded from the New York Thai consulate:

1. F,5,4) LEPROSY 2. 2F,5,--)+, TUBERCULOSIS (T.B.) 3. F,5 ELEPHANTIASIS 4. F,5Y+/3(FZ DRUG ADDICTION 5. F,5]/^_1/Y(,-- 3 THIRD STEP OF SYPHILIS aaa

doctor.pdf

32 minutes ago, tonray said:

Just downloaded from the New York Thai consulate:

1. F,5,4) LEPROSY 2. 2F,5,--)+, TUBERCULOSIS (T.B.) 3. F,5 ELEPHANTIASIS 4. F,5Y+/3(FZ DRUG ADDICTION 5. F,5]/^_1/Y(,-- 3 THIRD STEP OF SYPHILIS aaa

doctor.pdf

Do New York doctors complete that?!  It's the standard form used by doctors in Thailand for WP/Extensions, but surprising to see it used overseas for visa applications.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Do New York doctors complete that?!  It's the standard form used by doctors in Thailand for WP/Extensions, but surprising to see it used overseas for visa applications.

I had some questions about that myself and not having health coverage in the states, I did my medical for 200 baht here in Bangkok before my trip back to apply. I think many doctors would have a real issue with certifying you are free from tropical diseases without sending you for some wildly expensive rare disease lab to cover their <deleted>. The Thailand cert was accepted without issue and I also know the LA consulate will accept a med certification done in Thailand. I know my former doc in the states would have cost me a fortune for the tests and likely taken over 2 weeks for results as opposed to 30 minutes here in BKK.

Archived