BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guru Satu

Blood Tests?

Hi all, 

I am looking into teaching jobs in Bangkok and have read about the required medical examination as part of the work visa processing. I notice that they do a blood test, which strikes me as a bit odd. What does this test look for? Drugs? Communicable diseases? I've never worked in a country that does this. 

Also, is it common for teachers to be drug tested in Bangkok? I ask because when I travel back home during breaks, I enjoy smoking a bit of pot and would hate for that to come back and bite me at some point in the future. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

I have no recent knowledge re Bangkok, but for at least two years Surin Labour Dept.(not Immigration) has been requiring a blood test for syphillis, and a chest x-ray for TB.

1 hour ago, allane said:

I have no recent knowledge re Bangkok, but for at least two years Surin Labour Dept.(not Immigration) has been requiring a blood test for syphillis, and a chest x-ray for TB.

And  right next door, in Buriram, there is no such requirement. Rules change from province to province.

The blood test is to rule out 3rd stage Syphilis. The items that they evaluate are :

1) 3rd stage Syphilis (blood test)

2) Elephantiasis: Clinical Evaluation

3) Drug Abuser / Alcoholic: Clinical Evaluation

4) Leprosy: Clinical Evaluation

5) Insanity: Clinical Evaluation

#5 is questionable because once you've taught in Thailand you realize that no sane person would ever don it again....ha ha ha (a little former teacher humor) 

.... they will test for a battery of STD and will call out syphilis.... and HIV...and call it in front of your personnel department every year...

,,,,Funny some of the older gents in their 70s also had a hoot with this.. as a red badge of courage.....

4 hours ago, Rhys said:

.... they will test for a battery of STD and will call out syphilis.... and HIV...and call it in front of your personnel department every year...

The requirement is specifically for 3rd stage syphilis and an HIV test is not done.   There are other laws/rules about testing for HIV involving non-discrimination, but I know of several teachers who are HIV positive and it has never been tested for in the exam and never reported to anyone.  

I don't believe that they have to do a drug test, but for two years, I went in and was given a drug test (by urine) and I was told by the hospital they did for all people getting a medical for a work permit.   I don't know if that was accurate because other people did not have a drug test, and I don't recall a box for them to tick for a drug exam.  

The blood test is to rule out 3rd stage Syphilis. The items that they evaluate are :

1) 3rd stage Syphilis (blood test)

2) Elephantiasis: Clinical Evaluation

3) Drug Abuser / Alcoholic: Clinical Evaluation

4) Leprosy: Clinical Evaluation

5) Insanity: Clinical Evaluation

#5 is questionable because once you've taught in Thailand you realize that no sane person would ever don it again....ha ha ha (a little former teacher humor) 

What do you mean by "clinical evaluation"?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've never had to do this, but I've been teaching here 16 years. I think it may apply to new teachers in some provinces.

I have taught for almost 20 years and had to get a medical every year for the renewal of the Work Permit.   Years ago, it meant going into one of the little clinics and paying 50 - 100 baht to get a doctor to ask a few questions and sign the form.  

Later it included the Syphilis test and had to be done at a first class medical facility.  

I've never had to do this, but I've been teaching here 16 years. I think it may apply to new teachers in some provinces.

Where do you work? I've been working in Bangkok for 13 years and have had to do it for every Extension/WP renewal.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Any one have a link so I can down load the form to present to the doctor please ??

10 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Where do you work? I've been working in Bangkok for 13 years and have had to do it for every Extension/WP renewal.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nonthaburi. I've always just gotten the med certificate from the doctor. 100 baht usually. Last doc said, "you're not dead yet", and gave me the certificate. If they are thorough, they will check my heart / breathing lol

Nonthaburi. I've always just gotten the med certificate from the doctor. 100 baht usually. Last doc said, "you're not dead yet", and gave me the certificate. If they are thorough, they will check my heart / breathing lol

Sounds like how the clinic on soi 11 (now closed, I believe) used to do it. The certificate showed that the compulsory syphilis test had been done, but blood was never actually drawn!