Blood Tests?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

They only check for tertiary syphilis, not the first 2 stages, (latent is not really a stage).

I thought so. My understanding is that someone is not infectious at that stage even if they have antibodies. I think the patient would have much more to worry about if they have had untreated syphilis for many years! I asked a colleague who has teaching a long time too (>15 years) and we have never been asked to do this test. I will check with the new teachers next week. Either way, it seems this rule is not evenly applied. 

11 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I thought so. My understanding is that someone is not infectious at that stage even if they have antibodies. I think the patient would have much more to worry about if they have had untreated syphilis for many years! I asked a colleague who has teaching a long time too (>15 years) and we have never been asked to do this test. I will check with the new teachers next week. Either way, it seems this rule is not evenly applied. 

I think they can forgo the blood test for syphilis if untreated for many years just by checking to see if it has fallen off yet.

This is the page for Chula  in Nonthaburi - and as you can see on the below form, they ask for a test for stage 3 syphilis.

http://www.unisearch.chula.ac.th/index.php/nonthaburi-project/item/281-documents-for-visa-and-work-permit

Paper_Requirements_for_renewal_work_permit.pdf

So Nonthaburi Labour department do ask for a blood test to be done.

On 13/05/2017 at 0:25 AM, tonray said:

The blood test is to rule out 3rd stage Syphilis. The items that they evaluate are :

1) 3rd stage Syphilis (blood test)

The crazy thing here is that my understanding - and I stress understanding as I am not a medical professional - is that 3rd stage syphilis is not determined by a blood test but by other means.  A blood test can confirm stage 1 syphilis but to determine stage 3 there are other methods.  Maybe a medical professional might like to confirm this?

27 minutes ago, mstevens said:

The crazy thing here is that my understanding - and I stress understanding as I am not a medical professional - is that 3rd stage syphilis is not determined by a blood test but by other means.  A blood test can confirm stage 1 syphilis but to determine stage 3 there are other methods.  Maybe a medical professional might like to confirm this?

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

To the best of my knowledge, a blood test only shows if you have syphilis.   It would require further tests to determine if it stage 3.  

I am not a doctor and have never even played one on TV so I defer to only knowing the requirements of the Thai ministries for testing, not what, if anything, they are actually finding out. 

1 hour ago, tonray said:

I am not a doctor and have never even played one on TV so I defer to only knowing the requirements of the Thai ministries for testing, not what, if anything, they are actually finding out. 

This is true. The only thing that can be 'checked' is drugs in your urine and that doesn't state you are a drug addict. It is so pointless.  

5 hours ago, thequietman said:

This is true. The only thing that can be 'checked' is drugs in your urine and that doesn't state you are a drug addict. It is so pointless.  

?? what are you on about ??

Urine is not even checked on a work permit medical !!

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Explain please ....

Having known many a person who got and continues to get long term VISA's, the "drug test" has only been mentioned by a few teachers. As you surely know, this test isn't an official one and many a clinic will provide the certificate for a mere 100-200 Baht without any test actually being done. The members inquiry said "long term VISA" and I was merely answering him/her. God Bless You tonray and your world in Thailand without discrimination must be quite joyful. OO.

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Having known many a person who got and continues to get long term VISA's, the "drug test" has only been mentioned by a few teachers. As you surely know, this test isn't an official one and many a clinic will provide the certificate for a mere 100-200 Baht without any test actually being done. The members inquiry said "long term VISA" and I was merely answering him/her. God Bless You tonray and your world in Thailand without discrimination must be quite joyful. OO.

I have had 3 work permit med certs done here and each time a blood test was done. I also have a long visa successfully applied for, again with a blood test. And if you claim to have been teaching here as long as you have and have never encountered a black teacher....I don't know where you have been hiding.

30 minutes ago, tonray said:

I have had 3 work permit med certs done here and each time a blood test was done. I also have a long visa successfully applied for, again with a blood test. And if you claim to have been teaching here as long as you have and have never encountered a black teacher....I don't know where you have been hiding.

No reason to get hysterical. I merely advised the member that blood tests, while perhaps required for Work Permits, aren't the norm for other long term VISA's. I recall it's tied into the Work Permit application? As for "black" teachers, well I'm glad you have not experienced or witnessed Thai discrimination against both western White skinned teachers as well as anyone with black skin. God Bless You tonray, and keep your head up mate. OO.

46 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Some companies may require a urine test, but it is most definitely not a general work permit requirement, unlike the blood test for syphilis.

Never ever heard of a blood test as part of an employment application in Thailand. The blood tests for teachers was instituted because some British male brought syphilis over and apparently infected some students. I think this was at the University level, not under age, thank God. God Bless You and OO>

Never ever heard of a blood test as part of an employment application in Thailand. The blood tests for teachers was instituted because some British male brought syphilis over and apparently infected some students. I think this was at the University level, not under age, thank God. God Bless You and OO>

Neither have I. As I said, it's required for work permits/extensions, not job applications. And the idea that a British male who infected his students led to the test being introduced is abject nonsense.

Lots of good info here, everyone. It is much appreciated. 

But just to be clear: it isn't necessary/common for teachers to be urine tested for THC? Just wondering whether or not I should avoid indulging while back home. 

20 minutes ago, Guru Satu said:

But just to be clear: it isn't necessary/common for teachers to be urine tested for THC? Just wondering whether or not I should avoid indulging while back home. 

There is NO urine test for a work permit by law - what your employer asks for may be different.

17 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And the idea that a British male who infected his students led to the test being introduced is abject nonsense.

This was told to me by the hospital, both the person in the blood lab and the Doctor himself when I asked about it after my negative result was in. It's not my story, it's just the facts. God Bless You and OO. ps: Syphilis is often present without symptoms. 

8 hours ago, Guru Satu said:

Many teachers smoke at lunch or even in between classes. Remember mate, for the most part, it's a "backpacker" type filling the role of "teacher". This until of course it was discovered that "Filipino's speak good English". God Bless You and OO.

26 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

This was told to me by the hospital, both the person in the blood lab and the Doctor himself when I asked about it after my negative result was in. It's not my story, it's just the facts. God Bless You and OO. ps: Syphilis is often present without symptoms. 

Really Bruce, one foreign guy gives a STD to some students and the government introduces a new law within the labor department? I highly doubt it. The massive number of foreign workers from border regions namely the Burmese was most likely the reason. 

19 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Some companies may require a urine test, but it is most definitely not a general work permit requirement, unlike the blood test for syphilis.

Went for my test today at the local hospital. Walked in the exam room, doc took a look at me and then signed and stamped the doctors note. He told me no need for blood tests as the examination will not show stage 3 syphilis, nor any of the others on the list.  You look fine, he said and that was that. Finished for 100 baht.

Now, tell me this form is not a waste of time and effort !

19 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Went for my test today at the local hospital. Walked in the exam room, doc took a look at me and then signed and stamped the doctors note. He told me no need for blood tests as the examination will not show stage 3 syphilis, nor any of the others on the list.  You look fine, he said and that was that. Finished for 100 baht.

Now, tell me this form is not a waste of time and effort !

According to the CDC, the VDRL blood test is one of the ways of detecting tertiary syphilis. Perhaps the doctor was too concerned about saving a few baht on the test kit. I have had 3 VDRL tests when I went to 3 different clinics in various parts of BKK.

https://www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/stdfact-syphilis-detailed.htm

3 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

2 things, you never see the person in the lab, because they are in the lab, not where you go. Secondly, you are talking, or they told you and you are relating - absolute crap !

2 hours ago, tonray said:

According to the CDC, the VDRL blood test is one of the ways of detecting tertiary syphilis. Perhaps the doctor was too concerned about saving a few baht on the test kit. I have had 3 VDRL tests when I went to 3 different clinics in various parts of BKK.

https://www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/stdfact-syphilis-detailed.htm

VDRL does not specifically  detect tertiary syphilis. There is no blood test that does this.

VDRL detects antibodies to syphilis. Will be positive in people with only primary syphilis, people who had syphilis in the past and were treated and do not have it now, and also of course people with secondary or tertiary syphilis.

The diagnosis of tertiary syphilis is made based on a combination of positive blood test and clinical signs. It is quite possible to rule out on clinical exam alone.

Archived