Blood Tests?

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Some companies may require a urine test, but it is most definitely not a general work permit requirement, unlike the blood test for syphilis.

As I have mentioned before, there are some provinces where the blood test is not required. I, personally, have never had to take a blood test to get a work permit. That is in 19 years of teaching.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, puchooay said:

As I have mentioned before, there are some provinces where the blood test is not required. I, personally, have never had to take a blood test to get a work permit. That is in 19 years of teaching.

19 years of teaching?  Surely they must have done a psych evaluation... Ha ha just a little teacher in Thailand humour 

4 hours ago, muzmurray said:

2 things, you never see the person in the lab, because they are in the lab, not where you go. Secondly, you are talking, or they told you and you are relating - absolute crap !

You go to a room. There is a person there wearing a lab coat. He/she draws the blood from the customer. In this instance, I spoke with this person and he said the "damn British and their syphilis" claiming it was a serious issue in Pattaya. I then asked the Doctor who signed off on the forms and he also said "many British passing to bar lady". Just the facts. God Bless you and OO.

7 hours ago, thequietman said:

Really Bruce, one foreign guy gives a STD to some students and the government introduces a new law within the labor department? I highly doubt it. The massive number of foreign workers from border regions namely the Burmese was most likely the reason. 

I think you are confusing a "law" with perhaps a "rule" in certain provinces. It is very believable that the network of labor department heads decided to implement this blood test nonsense based upon a single or few British hooligans spreading syphilis from their homeland without regard for Thai women and their health. In fact, had you just been on Soi Buikow in Pattaya as I was, you would require it for all British entering the Kingdom at the airport and land borders. God Bless You and OO.

On 5/21/2017 at 9:08 PM, BruceMangosteen said:

The blood tests for teachers was instituted because some British male brought syphilis over and apparently infected some students. I think this was at the University level,

"This was told to me by the hospital, both the person in the blood lab and the Doctor himself when I asked about it after my negative result was in. It's not my story, it's just the facts"

7 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I then asked the Doctor who signed off on the forms and he also said "many British passing to bar lady". Just the facts.

Your "facts" have changed in the turn of a page, one minute it is a teacher infecting uni students, the next it is British passing it to bar girls - maybe you should dig out your dictionary and look up the words "fact" and "lie".

Your "facts" have changed in the turn of a page, one minute it is a teacher infecting uni students, the next it is British passing it to bar girls - maybe you should dig out your dictionary and look up the words "fact" and "lie".

I think Bruce is just having fun. God bless him.

6 hours ago, muzmurray said:

And maybe they are infecting both groups, or dare I say it? the girls are also in both groups? I quite frankly don't get your hysteria. This isn't my "rumor" or story, it was told to me by medical professionals in a hospital in Thailand. God Bless You and those in Manchester England. OO.

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think Bruce is just having fun. God bless him.

Good afternoon. Yes, I do participate because it's fun for me. But I also relay information when I can. This "blood test" is yet another joke on the foreigner thinking he/she can come to Thailand and earn a respectable living. The Thai's are never going to allow that. God Bless You and those in Manchester England. OO.

4 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

And maybe they are infecting both groups, or dare I say it? the girls are also in both groups? I quite frankly don't get your hysteria. This isn't my "rumor" or story, it was told to me by medical professionals in a hospital in Thailand. God Bless You and those in Manchester England. OO.

"maybe" - you said you were quoting facts !!

Yet another bar stool story teller !!

43 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

"maybe" - you said you were quoting facts !!

Yet another bar stool story teller !!

You two need better day jobs. Fact...The British "teacher" infected a female, according to a lab technician and a Doctor in a real hospital. As a result of this, the local "Labor" department instituted the blood test requirement for syphilis.  It isn't even difficult to cure BTW and has almost been eradicated in the USA and many other places. "those damn Brit drunks". God Bless You and OO.

You two need better day jobs. Fact...The British "teacher" infected a female, according to a lab technician and a Doctor in a real hospital. As a result of this, the local "Labor" department instituted the blood test requirement for syphilis.  It isn't even difficult to cure BTW and has almost been eradicated in the USA and many other places. "those damn Brit drunks". God Bless You and OO.

I think it's already been established that the requirement for a syphilis blood test for work permits came from Burmese migrant labour issues in the late 2000s. Your "real" doctor was misinformed.

19 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think it's already been established that the requirement for a syphilis blood test for work permits came from Burmese migrant labour issues in the late 2000s. Your "real" doctor was misinformed.

No, because...as far as I recall and know, the Burmese who do bother getting permission to work, don't get the same type of "Work Permit" the foreigner i.e. from England or France do. It doesn't really matter at this point mate. I'll go with what a licensed practicing M.D. told me, you go by what you read on TV. God Bless You and OO. 

• 7 months later...

Hi,

This thread has been very informative, thank you. 

I have been offered a teaching position in Bangkok and in the sample contract sent to be by my employer is states that it is subject to a medical examination. Does anybody know if this will be referring to the medical certificate which needs to be acquired for the work permit, or do school carry out additional tests? 

Any advice welcome...

1 hour ago, Jay2091 said:

Hi,

I have been offered a teaching position in Bangkok and in the sample contract sent to be by my employer is states that it is subject to a medical examination. Does anybody know if this will be referring to the medical certificate which needs to be acquired for the work permit, or do school carry out additional tests? 

Any advice welcome...

Schools rarely carry out additional tests with the exception of University jobs where a physical is sometimes required.

13 hours ago, Jay2091 said:

Hi,

Any advice welcome...

It's the ordinary medical certificate for your work permit. Once employed, there are no more additional tests, as far as I know. Of course can that differ from province to province. 

Good luck!!

Archived