Motorbike driving license age

al007

I am trying to comply with the law re my two step sons

Can someone please tell me at what ages they can obtain motorbike licenses

The general consensus is do not worry, for me I at least need to know if we are breaking the law, I also want insurance

Everybody can ride ‘legally’ a automatic scooter of not more than 115cc until he or she becomes 18 years old. I was told that some small print involves that the scooter is registered a direct family member and fully insured. The Thai law says that everybody older than 18 and operating a engine propelled motor vehicle needs to have a drivers license for that vehicle.

Reality, most police officers – especially upcountry – have no interest in stopping youngsters to check if the scooter or step-through motorcycle is within the specifications of the law. It’s just to much work, sure if not wear a helmet they get stopped and if they on a Honda 125cc they in more trouble...

4 hours ago, al007 said:

I also want insurance

The bike should be insured or you get no road disc, drivers and passengers are covered 3rd party, if you want bike damage cover you can get a additional voluntary insurance. 

5 hours ago, johng said:

I believe the minimum age for motorcycle licence is 15 and supposed to be limited to under 90 cc bike but you see school kids driving to school with no helmet on Honda wave 125cc no problem !

To reconfirm I browsed some Thai language sites.

Age 15 is clear.

Just that the sites say that 110 ccm is the allowed limit for the drivers under 18 yr.

I myself did the motorcycle license in 2015.

Of course I was the old fart (by far) and a couple of youngsters definitely under 18 yr.

Just found the DLT site on this topic as a reference (in Thai language).

15yr for 110 ccm.

If someone interested I can send the link via personal message.

8 hours ago, johng said:

I believe the minimum age for motorcycle licence is 15 and supposed to be limited to under 90 cc bike but you see school kids driving to school with no helmet on Honda wave 125cc no problem !

15 Years is minimum, and it is for 110CC not 90CC, it is printed on the back of the licence as a restriction.

Obviously many grey areas and some confusion

A fourteen year old driving  with tax paid will he have 3rd party cover

I want to send both kids to driving school to learn the highway code and rules of the road, maybe I am just dreaming !! by bad driving bad 

If no attempt is made to teach it do not be surprised, by bad driving, they have never been taught or told what to do

The mandatory insurance required to get the bike registered or re-registered (road tax) covers, as far as I know, only immediate medical expenses to rider, pillion and other third parties in event of a collision. There is usually a desk in the Land Office (Traffic Dept) which issues a cover note on payment. Other insurance is optional such as proper third party cover, fire and theft etc all the way up to First Class policy to cover all but with payment limits.

11 hours ago, johng said:

No!!! Age must be 15 years and up to 18 years it is restricted to 110cc in Pattaya!!!

1 hour ago, Rhys said:

...you have money....that will do...sadly....

As you say sadly

Stupid may I be I am trying to teach different beliefs, on being law abiding

On the other hand I am getting old 72, and should maybe just accept the total disregard for the law

I love thailand, I am exceedingly happy and have a good wife, the two teenagers I also love but brings challenges

It seems to me that the motor vehicle laws in Thailand are more of a recommendation than actually laws. You do what is convenient within reason and most Thai understand this. The kids need to get to school so pile four on a scooter and off they go.

Thank you all for clarifying, it is all rather grey, and pretty undefined

With the road casualties in Thailand it is all a little worrying

But then This is Thailand and what will be will be, and of course there are advantages to the lax system

18 hours ago, Formaleins said:

15 Years is minimum, and it is for 110CC not 90CC, it is printed on the back of the licence as a restriction.

hmm.... i guess someone would actually need to have a licence to read this.Given that most here wouldn't have one and care even less.....

21 hours ago, johng said:

Thanks for confirming  the age limit     110cc could very well be correct  I'm an old fart too so the memory isn't so good

( wasn't good to start with )

Don't be too upset, it used to be 90cc many years ago (20 years ago I got my 15 year old his license and it was 90cc). So you were not wrong just not up to date. The sad thing is that a current 110cc motorbike is far more capable of rocketing a 15 year old into a serious accident than a 90 cc bike of 20 years ago. The law has gone from bad to worse IMO.

But more importantly is ensuring the kids wear good quality safety helmets at all times when motoring. No amount of licensing will save your life like a helmet can when some other (drunk) idiot comes hurtling towards you in their 4 wheeled boxes.

When you talk about the size of the bike, it is anyone guess, and that includes the police.

When my son turn 15, like you I want to do all the rights things since as they get older and especially look older they don't get a pass any longer when they get stopped.  So right after he turn 15 I took him down, this is Pattaya. 

First, we got into the wrong line found out later after a number of failure in the written. That first morning we got into the wrong line because we were so far back couldn't hear the person. We ended up basically in the foreigners line, the written was in English, and each time he scored 25 out of 50 questions. When I found out the Thai boss actually told me that is pretty good since majority of the Thais (wrong line ) can scored on 5 to 10.  So I decided to push on with it but ran out of time due we couldn't get back down because of school. The written is basically the last part, since he took the road test, in his 125cc Wave, so I don't think it matters or they even know?

Next time I took him down for Thais , we found out there was a 3 month waiting sign up. He was now getting stopped regularly so I took him to a private school, 3000 baht and in one week he got all the necessary papers certified and just take it to the office and pay and get picture taken.

Right thing too?  When you register the bike each year you get the year sticker plus the Government insurance, that is only for the rider and medical ( 10,000 baht ) When poster here use the word 3rd party, insurance is to repair the other vehicle, bike or property. If you want more coverage for medical you can purchase a addition personal accident insurance minimum 2000 baht a year, can cover for sports etc.. and if you go beyond or overnight, then hopefully you have overnight medical.  Here I'm talking about on Thai insurance here in Thailand. 

What I've seen for 3rd party motorbikes insurance will run you minimum 3000 baht, and their policies being sold doesn't seem to state 70cc-110-cc, it just say up to 150 cc.

On 13.5.2017 at 11:15 AM, Kwasaki said:

The bike should be insured or you get no road disc, drivers and passengers are covered 3rd party, if you want bike damage cover you can get a additional voluntary insurance. 

no insurance coverage if driver has no driver license1

you have to be 15 years and you get a license for up to 110 cc and this is because there is no production of motorbikes under 108 cc 

before it was 90 cc.

As long there is no accident, your kids facing max 200 Thb  fine for not having driver license

Here in Pattaya,  not sure about all the legit language, but I owned the following Click 125, 125 Wave, PCX 150, and a Yamaha Slavz 150,  personal history, I've got a Thai Motorbike license when I first obtained in 7 years ago, never asked what type you want?

In all the years I've been stopped and I've been stopped using each of these motorbikes never been ask by anyone BIB, my license isn't suited for the bike I'm driving.  In purchasing my 3 parties motorbike insurance never has my license been a issue. Never ever been asked.

When my son got into his first fall on his Wave 125, he ended up at Bangkok Pattaya, never was his license a issue,  I presented the government insurance slip to the reception for payment and just looked straight at her daring her to ask me to pay first. My son has been stopped a number of times not wearing his helmet using the bikes listed above and never once presenting his license been a issue regarding size, So in the end, I just don't know what is the real law?  What I do know for example, at a flashing Red light you are supposed to stop and proceed with caution but don't see anyone enforcing that?

• 1 month later...

Very useful information on this topic, but not sure if the following was covered:

I refuse my 16 year old stepson to ride our Honda Wave 100 on the main road until he has his motorcycle licence. I have done the test myself and am under no illusion that this will any way improve his awareness as a rider, However my concern is that if he is involved in an accident, and damage or injury is inflicted on someone or something else, will the fact that he has no licence mean more money for me to pay out.

We have the bike taxed and insured, although I don't know if the insurance is valid for a non licensed rider.

55 minutes ago, NACHALUAY said:

Very useful information on this topic, but not sure if the following was covered:

I refuse my 16 year old stepson to ride our Honda Wave 100 on the main road until he has his motorcycle licence. I have done the test myself and am under no illusion that this will any way improve his awareness as a rider,

However my concern is that if he is involved in an accident, and damage or injury is inflicted on someone or something else, will the fact that he has no licence mean more money for me to pay out.

We have the bike taxed and insured, although I don't know if the insurance is valid for a non licensed rider.

Firstly this is what l did,  teach you son how to stop in wet or dry,  tell him of all the dangers that you know about as well as riding with him.

Tell him his head is on his neck and it can move to look all ways and behind besides using mirrors. :biggrin:

The owner of the bike are responsible for siblings riding the bike.

The bike is insured which covers rider and third parties on CTPL.

As l understand it if you get additional voluntary insurance if driver has no licence they won't honour cover.

Any vehicle owner, foreign or domestic must have CTPL insurance. For vehicle owners who do not have CTPL and have been in an accident that resulted in loss of life or death of a pedestrian, passenger, or any other party involved, vehicle owner will be 100% liable for all payments. If the vehicle owner refuses to pay, the CTPL fund will pay the initial benefits on behalf of the vehicle owner and will then come collect the full amount along with a 20% surcharge from vehicle owner at a later stage. This is so that no distress is caused to the third party. Liability for car users who are not the owners can be up to 10,000 baht if caught driving a car without CTPL.

On 14/05/2017 at 9:54 AM, thailand49 said:

When you register the bike each year you get the year sticker plus the Government insurance, that is only for the rider and medical ( 10,000 baht )

Can't comment on the other numbers in your post but this one is definitely wrong. The compulsory government insurance covers medical expenses up to 30,000 THB per person. And it's not only for the rider. Also you don't register the bike each year, you just pay the tax and insurance. For bikes older than 5 years you also need to get a roadworthyness check performed.

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Can't comment on the other numbers in your post but this one is definitely wrong. The compulsory government insurance covers medical expenses up to 30,000 THB per person. And it's not only for the rider. Also you don't register the bike each year, you just pay the tax and insurance. For bikes older than 5 years you also need to get a roadworthyness check performed.

Compulsory 3rd Party Coverage – CTPL

• 3rd party bodily injury: 50,000 baht per person.
  • 3rd party death: 100,000 baht per person
  • Maximum payout: 5,000,000 baht per occurrence

Premiums range from 324 baht – 646 baht, depending on machine size.

9 hours ago, eisfeld said:

From Kwasaki, response you are incorrect.  3rd party is where you went wrong with the 30,000 baht?

From my own experience few years back with my son who was taken to Bangkok Pattaya, they acted if the Government Insurance didn't even exist?  I ended up paying up front, thereafter a nurse who overheard the conversation told me how to file a claim, when I got the money back although the bill was a bit over 12,000 baht, the max I got was 10,000.

Also, my experience owning several motorbike, now you can play with the words and your definition that is really up to you as they say but from my own each year you must bring in the bike to pay the tax and insurance there you are given a sticker for the the bike, that is the process to register the bike. If the bike is under 5 years, they just take ownership papers and verify the I.D. number on the bike if it is over 5 years, never had it taken out on the road example (2007 Honda Click) they road it over to a area, stick a rod into the exhaust pipe while a photo is being taken of the bike. They check for items that might make the bike illegal like modified exhaust pipe etc. but never taken the bike for a road test.

They don't even require a road test to obtain a license to drive yet they are going to give a road test for a bike over 5 years?

This is what they want on paper but in real life it hasn't happen yet.:sorry:

10 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

If the bike is under 5 years, they just take ownership papers and verify the I.D. number on the bike if it is over 5 years, never had it taken out on the road example (2007 Honda Click) they road it over to a area, stick a rod into the exhaust pipe while a photo is being taken of the bike. They check for items that might make the bike illegal like modified exhaust pipe etc. but never taken the bike for a road test.

They don't even require a road test to obtain a license to drive yet they are going to give a road test for a bike over 5 years?

With road worthyness I didn't mean a real riding test on the road. They do a visual inspection as well as checking the gas/particle/noise emissions to see if the bike is road worthy (legal). It's not a very thorough test for sure.

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Compulsory 3rd Party Coverage – CTPL

• 3rd party bodily injury: 50,000 baht per person.
  • 3rd party death: 100,000 baht per person
  • Maximum payout: 5,000,000 baht per occurrence

Premiums range from 324 baht – 646 baht, depending on machine size.

The medical expenses for injuries (stitches, wound cleaning, injections etc) are capped at 30k THB, I'm pretty sure. The "3rd party bodily injury" maybe means stuff like loss of arm or leg, blindness etc.

I know because my gf had an accident when a van pushed her out of her lane and into a ditch and we went to BKK hospital in Phuket. She and her niece had some minor injuries and they were paid using the PoRoBor insurance scheme. They have a dedicated guy there for these cases and a big sign with the 30k THB figure.

11 hours ago, eisfeld said:

The medical expenses for injuries (stitches, wound cleaning, injections etc) are capped at 30k THB, I'm pretty sure. The "3rd party bodily injury" maybe means stuff like loss of arm or leg, blindness etc.

I know because my gf had an accident when a van pushed her out of her lane and into a ditch and we went to BKK hospital in Phuket. She and her niece had some minor injuries and they were paid using the PoRoBor insurance scheme. They have a dedicated guy there for these cases and a big sign with the 30k THB figure.

Yeah there many true stories and real experiences that have happened to people in Thai accidents also farangie/falangie rich so different things are undertaken in different parts of Thailand.

The thread has gone way off topic.

I wouldn't stake my life on my information and l ain't planning on having an accident to find out.  :laugh:

12 hours ago, thailand49 said:

but from my own each year you must bring in the bike to pay the tax and insurance there you are given a sticker for the the bike, that is the process to register the bike. If the bike is under 5 years, they just take ownership papers and verify the I.D. number on the bike if it is over 5 years, never had it taken out on the road example (2007 Honda Click) they road it over to a area, stick a rod into the exhaust pipe while a photo is being taken of the bike.

As have said thread a bit off Thai DL age now. :smile:

l'll conclude with this where we live you take a bike over 5 year to a testing station,  they check bike over thoroughly  :laugh:  well,  then you can get CTPL insurance from them if you haven't already acquired it.

Then it's off to province DLT office for the road tax disc,  the bike does not need to be inspected by the DLT office that only happens when you change owners.

Same for cars but 7 years old. 

Archived