Hourly rate to teach Thai language to farang

notrub

In my small village the retired head teach from the local school has agreed to teach me 2 hrs 3 times a week.  That is 6 hours a week.  I asked him what would he like for payment and of course he got embarrassed, said no money, thank you.  But then when pressed a bit he said what you (me) wish to pay is OK for him.  He was also the English teacher at this school so I suppose he has an idea about what to do.  The question is, how much is fair?  This is not BKK and the fellow is not hurting financially but I don't want to take advantage (or be taken advantage of, for that matter)  Any ideas?  What do other people pay  teachers to study Thai?  If I were to guess I might offer 5 or 600 baht a week, say 100 baht per hour.  Any thoughts on that, please?  I am not a wealthy person, btw and 5 or 600 per week is a significant sum for me.  Thanks in advance for any comments.  

Not including books, my Thai teacher charges 400/hour for private, 1 to 1 classes, half that for a group rate.  But that's a school, rent, electric to pay, etc...  If he's retired and will do at home, maybe offer 250 or 300/hour? 

My classes are 1 hour, not 2.  At first I thought that would be too slow and 2 hours at a time would be better, but I've gotten used to the rhythm.  Focus on 1 lesson for an hour and that's enough.  In time, you start incorporating everything you've learned with each new lesson, like building a wall with bricks and mortar.  Works for me, YMMV.  Good luck!  

Thai people I know who do this as a business charge between 150 and 250 per hour, location will be a factor as will the qualifications of the teacher - if just casual unqualified teaching, the lower end of the scale will apply.

Since the person is a qualified teacher, I would suggest the higher amount.   It's not about the money, but people do not like to be under paid for their services.  

For a retired village teacher 100 baht an hour sounds good.

You are not in a big city with overhead also you are going to do give him steady income for a while which is also good.

You would be surprised how low the qualifications often are for older village teachers many don't even have a university degree in any subject.

If he does a great job and you like him take him out to lunch.

Thank you very much for comments everybody.  Mr  Rampang is almost a family friend and was my wife's teacher all those years ago.  He also decided to call me pii-chaai and said that I can be his English teacher.  Our village has around 5000 people and is very rural.  So I am going to think along the lines of offering him 2,500 baht every 4 weeks.  That is a few baht over 100 per hour.  Not a lot but enough to put by for his grandchildren or something and I can afford it.

On 13.5.2017 at 7:13 PM, 55Jay said:

Not including books, my Thai teacher charges 400/hour for private, 1 to 1 classes

school setup as well, books incl., 290/hr. 1 to 1 tuition

When we moved here to western BKK, my daughter (half Thai) could speak Thai already, but neither read nor write. She had to learn it up to level mor 1 (7th year) within 6 months. From the school we applied for we got an experianced teacher for 150 Baht/hour, but his oldstyle teaching was good for nothing. Then we hired a young student with no degree yet for 200 Baht/hour and she learnt very fast. If you want to learn just some Thai to get along, maybe 100 Baht/hour for the retired teacher in your village will do. I could speak and read/write Thai already, but i have no teaching skills.

I have a Thai friend who was teaching me to read Thai... mostly I would read and he correct me. We are in the countryside too... I would give him 150 baht per hour - - we did the lunch thing but I do not want to make him an alcoholic... it only lasted a very brief time so you might want to go weekly... and I would agree with a poster above, at least start with an hour at a time... if you can handle more, add on. 

4 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

Donate 100B per hour to the charity of his choice.    I donate 100usd to my lawyer friend's charity, every time I have important questions to ask.    

I seem to recall that was the rate per hour for advice...

Anyway, for the question,  once you both decide what is acceptable then move on... but recall this person is not a client so there is there is the so-called adjustment rate...

13 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

Donate 100B per hour to the charity of his choice.    I donate 100usd to my lawyer friend's charity, every time I have important questions to ask.    

I would only donate once he answered.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived