BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wump

Different laws of physics in Isaan

Apparently, you have to switch off your mobile phone when it's raining or you might die from a lightning strike. I spoke to several families around Udon and they all think that, one even recalling some person in her home having died from that.

I tried to explain that this is impossible (stupid me) but it seems "This Thailand, not same Europe".

Any similar stories?

When someone says that to you, politely smile, and change the topic.

You can't fix stupid.

That's just something parents say to their kids to stop outrageous phone bills.

sent a thai lady some photos of my home, i have a double bed therefore i am married, apparently. until i pointed out she also had a double bed so that meant she was married too.

in the background of one photo, on a chest of drawers, was a b&w photo of two children, this, apparently, means i have children ( i don't) and the photo is actually of my brother and i as children.

needless to say i didnt bother to progress a relationship with this lady

i was accused by another thai lady of not arriving in the country on the date i did. the next time we met i took my passport but she refused to look at the entry stamp and maintained i had not arrived on the date i had... 

i could go on...

Just now, samsensam said:

sent a thai lady some photos of my home, i have a double bed therefore i am married, apparently. until i pointed out she also had a double bed so that meant she was married too.

in the background of one photo, on a chest of drawers, was a b&w photo of two children, this, apparently, means i have children ( i don't) and the photo is actually of my brother and i as children.

i was accused by another thai lady of not arriving in the country on the date i did. the next time we met i took my passport but she refused to look at the entry stamp and maintained i had not arrived on the date i had... 

i could go on...

Could have been an honest mistake, we all look the same to them.

2 hours ago, wump said:

I tried to explain that this is impossible (stupid me) but it seems "This Thailand, not same Europe".

In Europe and indeed the rest of the world  they are different stupid.

2 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

When someone says that to you, politely smile, and change the topic.

You can't fix stupid.

.... Can always say... you know it might rain.....

i could go on...

But did her 'other brother' move out before you arrived?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My relatives also claim that lightning strikes are an issue with cell phones (Buriram), and also insist that getting rained on will also cause you to catch a cold. I pointed out that previously the whole family took showers with water collected from rainwater with no obvious ill effects. The answer was once it is collected it no longer has the "ability" to cause a cold. I just nod and continue doing whatever it was I was doing.

I was in Laos and they had some celebration, when they were shooting bamboo sticks up to sky. Basically bamboo stick filled by something like you find in fireworks.

And everybody was like "yep, it will be raining today!"

"Why, did you watch forecast?"

"No, because they're making holes to clouds by those bamboo sticks... ."

"No! No! No! Thats not how it works. Thats not even close how it works!!!"

Guess who was a biggest idiot in the morning at the breakfast? Because last night was the biggest strom I ever wintnessed in my life.

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

i could go on...

Try to imagine this situation from her perspective.

What if she posted at Facebook photo with some random farang and photo from hotel room.

Wouldn't be you first question "are f*cking this guy? did you stay in his room?".

Why many Thai people switch of airco in the car before they shut down the engine?
Tides are directly the result of more or less rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

In Europe and indeed the rest of the world  they are different stupid.

Indeed! I must have employed a hundred people in my small seasonally working firm and I saw just about everything. The things that most annoyed me were:

saying they knew how to do it and finding out a day later that this wasn't true.

refusing to change their way of doing things because they had 'always done it like that'

assuming that they knew better.

All these things are to be found in Thailand, lack of a rational education just puts another slant on it.

My wife has told me that she had seen on TV and therefore must be true: tie up a red dress outside your house or the husband stealer spirit will take your husband (never found out what 'take your husband' actually meant). Fill up with fuel in the morning and you will get more for your money (I did the calculation and came up with a maximum potential saving of 15ml). It's OK to drive with only your parking lights (sometimes called sidelights) on at night.

It's what I like about Thailand, I am constantly putting my brain through mental gymnastics to work out the why, don't always succeed of course.

I like this thread.

Always when lightning is around my wife gets angry when I play with the smartphone.

Every attempt to argue is worthless :annoyed:

My only idea that it results from the old times of fixed line phones where there was indeed some risk if the wires go overground.

But now tell them that for a mobile (cell) phone things are completely different.

And then you tell the story at a farang meeting place hoping for a good laughter.

And what's the reaction: there might be something behind :crazy: