BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wump

Different laws of physics in Isaan

It's not even about the lightning itself, they are more worried about using the phone during torrential rain. 

Heard the bit about getting sick from rain water as well. But it's completely okay to get soaked in ice water for 1 week straight every year in April :crazy:

4 minutes ago, wump said:

It's not even about the lightning itself, they are more worried about using the phone during torrential rain. 

Heard the bit about getting sick from rain water as well. But it's completely okay to get soaked in ice water for 1 week straight every year in April :crazy:

I was living in a bungalow complex for year or two. And grandmother of owner was in charge. She always turned off internet 1 hour before raining and never turned it on again (as she didn't use it and forgot about it). It sucked especially during raining seasson, when you're stuck in middle of Isan and internet works 2 hours a day... .

I also had to move out from a long term rent in Chonburi. Because they turned off internet at midnight and turned it back on at 8am. Our argument about it went like this:

- Why you always turn off internet at midnight?

-Because nobody uses it.

-But I want to use it!

-But you can't!

-Why?

-Because we turn it of!

-So why you always turn off internet at midnight?

-Because nobody uses it.

Went through this conversation loop 3 times and then I moved out.

i nearly always get weird looks when i point to a star and say that it is the same as the sun, just further away. Obviously stars are different in Thailand.

Yes I remember the incredulous look I received on saying that the tides were controlled by the moon.... And that whales weren't fish.....

Heavy  rain ,  switch tele off  , and cover tele with  blanket / towel .

What do we have in common .  sweet fah .555

Then there is Thai geography knowledge, both international and Thailand

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

Just had another example Thai checks water level in car battery Low so uses discoloured water from tap.

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

I just go with it.  For me it's Buddha is talking aka thunder. Yeah..Yeah turn off the phone, unplug the TV.

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 7:53 AM, Ahab said:

My relatives also claim that lightning strikes are an issue with cell phones (Buriram), and also insist that getting rained on will also cause you to catch a cold. I pointed out that previously the whole family took showers with water collected from rainwater with no obvious ill effects. The answer was once it is collected it no longer has the "ability" to cause a cold. I just nod and continue doing whatever it was I was doing.

Awesome. I love the rain makes you sick myth. This time of year up at mine as soon as it starts raining i love getting outside the in laws go loopy. My favourite is when its been stinking hot then starts pissing down is to throw on some boardshorts and lay in the driveway till the concrete cools down. 5 years later still waiting to catch a cold.

The other day my wife showed me a U tube clip of a car being hit by lightning while driving along a fast road,apparently the occupants where using their mobile phones...no wonder it got hit !

The catching cold in the rain does have at least some credibility as often just before it starts to rain there is a tremendous gust of wind that whips up all the dust
(carrying multiple nasties )
into eyes and mouth and nose

On 5/14/2017 at 9:21 AM, luk AJ said:

Why many Thai people switch of airco in the car before they shut down the engine?
Tides are directly the result of more or less rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The car AC thing is apparently about unspecified "fungus" build up. Somehow switching off the AC and letting the fan blow at max counters the effect. Or so SIL claims.

The in laws variation of the rain/cold phenomenon amounts to phobia of rain hitting hot concrete. Said to release unspecified "fumes", bound to cause colds and all manner of "allergy". Rubbing some Chinese pungent oil/ointment under your nose will save you, though.

Mobile phones are dangerous during lightning storms, but family likes to live on the edge.  

On 5/14/2017 at 9:56 PM, elliss said:

Heavy  rain ,  switch tele off  , and cover tele with  blanket / towel .

What do we have in common .  sweet fah .555

Unplugging electronics could possibly reduce the chance of an electric surge frying your TV. Not sure the purpose of the towel though.

The same laws of physics apply in Thailand. The Thais just ignore the laws, like all the other laws on the books like helmets and proper driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one of the best I have encountered is the plumbers sent by the condo manager telling

me and the wife that although the waste water was flooding at the drain in the shower

(by your feet) they needed to cut the pipes above (by the sink) about five foot above

the actual blockage and trying to convince them was like something out of a movie

these were described by the wife and the manager as proper plumbers....God help us