Different laws of physics in Isaan

wump

44 minutes ago, Fulwell53 said:

OMG thailand is the only country in the world with sections of the community having beliefs that dont fit in with accepted norms or not based on scientific proof!

Ronald Reagan consulted with nancy's charlatan star gazer before going into discussions with gorbachov.

Prince charles talks to his plants.

Who wrote that Thailand is the only place? Please quote. If it confuses you that we are commenting about Thailand you need to know that it is because this is a forum about Thailand.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

Ignorance is the result of stupidity and unwillingless to learn, because if you're not stupid, you will be able to realize that what you're thinking does not make sense without even having studied the subject.

Is Trump ignorant, or stupid, or both?

Just like to know the answer because I'm probably the latter.

Is Trump ignorant, or stupid, or both?
Just like to know the answer because I'm probably the latter.

I think maybe he talks before he thinks things through.
Although he is mainly addressing the American public so it doesn't really matter if he follows logical thought processes or not.

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, agudbuk said:

I think maybe he talks before he thinks things through.
Although he is mainly addressing the American public so it doesn't really matter if he follows logical thought processes or not.

Sounds exactly like Thailand.

On 5/14/2017 at 0:21 PM, cooked said:

Indeed! I must have employed a hundred people in my small seasonally working firm and I saw just about everything. The things that most annoyed me were:

saying they knew how to do it and finding out a day later that this wasn't true.

refusing to change their way of doing things because they had 'always done it like that'

assuming that they knew better.

All these things are to be found in Thailand, lack of a rational education just puts another slant on it.

My wife has told me that she had seen on TV and therefore must be true: tie up a red dress outside your house or the husband stealer spirit will take your husband (never found out what 'take your husband' actually meant). Fill up with fuel in the morning and you will get more for your money (I did the calculation and came up with a maximum potential saving of 15ml). It's OK to drive with only your parking lights (sometimes called sidelights) on at night.

It's what I like about Thailand, I am constantly putting my brain through mental gymnastics to work out the why, don't always succeed of course.

You sound highly intelligent love the part about your wife. I mean this in a good way opposites really do attract. I am sure the part about your wife was part of the attraction. 

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

You could probably make a similar list for any country... they are superstitious here, we are not, except when a black cat crosses our path... and I spent some time teaching my wife that the change of seasons was not why you get a cold, it comes from bacteria... except after many years here, I see she is right - people do get colds here during seasonal change [which does not exclude bacteria, maybe it activates? I don't know] And you have no idea on 'take your husband'??? really - any guess here? 

Here's some education for you. Bacteria "do not" cause colds. The symptoms of the common cold are caused by a virus and are untreatable by antibiotics.

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Nothing unusual about people having certain beliefs, passed down from one to another.

Some people back home believe the No.13  is unlucky (passed on to them from others who believed this) to the extent that they would not live in a house with the No.13 on the door.

A whole lot of multimillion dollar office buildings and condo's have no 13th floor.  Broken mirrors still cause consternation and every nurse and cop will tell you about nights with a full moon. 

A whole lot of multimillion dollar office buildings and condo's have no 13th floor.  Broken mirrors still cause consternation and every nurse and cop will tell you about nights with a full moon. 

There are even loads of people who talk to imaginary super beings.

On 5/14/2017 at 7:53 AM, Ahab said:

My relatives also claim that lightning strikes are an issue with cell phones (Buriram), and also insist that getting rained on will also cause you to catch a cold. I pointed out that previously the whole family took showers with water collected from rainwater with no obvious ill effects. The answer was once it is collected it no longer has the "ability" to cause a cold. I just nod and continue doing whatever it was I was doing.

..you were probably doing wrong whatever you were doing.

7 hours ago, Ooladolla said:

Wasn't  there a recent video of a car driving along and a lightning bolt hit it and it was supposedly because the driver or passenger was on the phone ?  It is safe to use a mobile or cordless phone indoors. However, a mobile or cordless phone should not be used outdoors during a thunderstorm, as holding any object with metallic components increases the risk of being struck by lightning.

That aside , when it comes with having an isaan partner. You won't change their mind so give up trying to. Just go with the flow ................

yes but they say that being in a car struck by lighting is one of the safer places to be  as long as you are not touching the metal which acts as a "Faraday cage"  carrying the charge around  the occupants instead of through them...I have not tested this thoery !

The laws of physics or mathematics definitly do not apply to the extended family. If I remembered all of the 'differences' it would do my head in so cannot tell them all. But today, the gf grows fak meow that needs to be trellised, you buy the wire by weight. Have tried to explain that 50 kg of 20 gauge will be longer than 50 kg of 16 gauge but that does not compute.

She thinks you are buying the same lenght of wire..

On 14/05/2017 at 1:53 AM, Ahab said:

My relatives also claim that lightning strikes are an issue with cell phones (Buriram), and also insist that getting rained on will also cause you to catch a cold. I pointed out that previously the whole family took showers with water collected from rainwater with no obvious ill effects. The answer was once it is collected it no longer has the "ability" to cause a cold. I just nod and continue doing whatever it was I was doing.

ah yes rain, and not a virus, makes you ill, doctors will prescribe antibiotics to treat a virus and drinking cold water is bad for you. foreigners really dont understand.

Well now...

Concerning a subject matter of such grave importance and circulating amongst the Thais....... you will eventually see it on Thai TV and aired on one of their Thai TV drama shows and then, the rumor is forever confirmed as the truth and not to be questioned otherwise

Furthermore, to confirm the validity, eventually Thai monks will bless Thai peoples cell phones and that will prevent the owners from ever being "struck" by lightening ...even if you are not carrying a cell phone...lol

Cell phone blessing costs will range from 100 to 500 baht.....depending.......

And that folks is how it works here in Thailand, while silly superstitions are always a source of amusement.

Cheers

Eh, many farangs have silly superstitious beliefs that have no basis in science too...like thinking you can "sweat off fat," that drinking some silly concoction can "detox" your body, that MSG is somehow bad for you, that taking vitamin C will cure (or shorten the length of) a cold...there's a lot of stupid everywhere, plenty to go around.

On 2017/5/13 at 6:46 PM, howard ashoul said:

I was in Laos and they had some celebration, when they were shooting bamboo sticks up to sky. Basically bamboo stick filled by something like you find in fireworks.

And everybody was like "yep, it will be raining today!"

"Why, did you watch forecast?"

"No, because they're making holes to clouds by those bamboo sticks... ."

"No! No! No! Thats not how it works. Thats not even close how it works!!!"

Guess who was a biggest idiot in the morning at the breakfast? Because last night was the biggest strom I ever wintnessed in my life.

Yes, that's how they think. They don't point at the moon because they might wake up next morning and find their ears have cut where it is attached to the head. They believe the moon is like a piece of round zinc object in the sky. ( This was told to me by someone about 50 years ago I am not sure they still believe that).

Not  so  sure the  Laws  of  Physics  is  actually  applicable but the  idea that mobile  phones attract  lightening is   slightly  amusing until you  consider the  fact that  the  vast  majority have   never had  any education related to or providng understanding the  difference  between those and hardwired electrical items. The advent  of general electricity  supply  in  many  parts  of Thailand is  relatively  recent. But the  lesson that  to  isolate  anything electrical  during lighting storms  was  quickly  learnt because it  avoided replacing  even such  basics  as a lightbulb let  alone  an expensive   refrigerator  or   TV due  to  surge.  Now  with  electronic  control  based  items that practice  is  actually   very  wise if  modern  surge  control  switchboards ( and  even  if ) are  not installed. So as  part of  the  general perception  of things  electric  a  mobile  phone  is simply rolled  into  the  concept.

I've also been told that lightning comes out of the TV and kills everyone in the room. 

This is apparently gospel because 'it happened'  and the ghost of one of the victims came back to verify this. 

And then there was the time a Thai girl told me that America just wants all of Thailand's rice and that the British stole their cats!?! 

My protestations that oil vs rice wasn't an argument and that they were pretty safe on that front,   had the usual effect (when a Thai is presented with the truth)  of making one of the people in the room invisible. 

A quick check on Google revealed that a Brit had taken 2 Siamese cats back to Britain for his sister, who founded the Siamese cat club, apparently this slight from 1884 was not easily forgiven nor forgotten... 

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I do know an Issan lady who, at the end of a long journey, leaves her car's engine running for 10 minutes to 'cool it down'. 

I know an Issan lady who does the same.
When I asked her why she did so, she said: Because it is good.

Does anyone know the reason for this practice?

16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I do know an Issan lady who, at the end of a long journey, leaves her car's engine running for 10 minutes to 'cool it down'. 

10 minutes is a tad too long but maybe, just maybe, she knows more about turbo engined cars than you think and she is waiting for the turbo to spool down (not cool down) before switching off so as not to damage the vanes.

Never know, clever girls these Thais......Damn sight more intelligent than the men.

Sure, they probably think of your actions as a head cold... I am sure it looks quite interesting for you to be lying in the rain in the driveway. They must think, what a devoted scientist to conduct such experiments in the rain, or... 

So, you are lying in the driveway in the rain and you think the in-laws are loopy?? 

But did her 'other brother' move out before you arrived?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife would immediately assume that I was drunk again, and ring her mother to come and see what she has to put up with.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Flustered said:

10 minutes is a tad too long but maybe, just maybe, she knows more about turbo engined cars than you think and she is waiting for the turbo to spool down (not cool down) before switching off so as not to damage the vanes.

Never know, clever girls these Thais......Damn sight more intelligent than the men.

Turbo On a Nissan Almera 1,2 petrol engine? Although I will definitely grant you your last sentence :smile:

Actually, now I think back a bit, this was the same lady who drove us to a wedding feast up near Nakon Phanon. It was January and quite a cold night. When we left late that night we all had to wrap up in blankets that were provided to keep us warm

I sat in the back, shivering and wondering why on earth they didn't fit heaters to cars in this country.

It wasn't until the following day when I sat in the front and got chance to fiddle with the controls that I realized it DID have a heater! She'd had the car for over a year but didn't know.

So they might well be brighter than the men, but not THAT bright!

7 hours ago, BertBert said:

I know an Issan lady who does the same.
When I asked her why she did so, she said: Because it is good.

Does anyone know the reason for this practice?

I did try to explain to her that when the engine is idling with no ram air coming in the engine gets hotter, not cooler. But, as always here, it went straight through and out the other side.

What would I know? I'm just a falang!

What about not washing your hair or getting it cut on a Wednesday. In a previous thread someone explained it was the day executions were carried out. But I still can't get my head around it.( pun intended):post-4641-1156694572:

Archived