Different laws of physics in Isaan

wump

6 hours ago, Flustered said:

10 minutes is a tad too long but maybe, just maybe, she knows more about turbo engined cars than you think and she is waiting for the turbo to spool down (not cool down) before switching off so as not to damage the vanes.

Never know, clever girls these Thais......Damn sight more intelligent than the men.

Not quite right. The turdo will spool, slow down very quickly once the engine is turned off. Leaving a turbo engine running at idle is primarily to let the engine oil cool the turbo to the same temp as the engine. After a lengthy or fast drive the turbo will be much hotter than the engine itself. Sometimes in extrene driving conditions the turbo can be red hot. If the engine is turned off at this point the oil pump ceases to pump oil through engine internals, including turbo. With the turbo's temp so high it can, will crystalize the oil. The result is the oil in the turbo & return pipe to the engine sump becomes a solid mass. Next time the engine is started there's no oil feed to the turbo, oil pipe blocked by crystalized oil. Solid carbon. No oil means no cooling or lubrication to turbo.

I agree with your last sentence.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I did try to explain to her that when the engine is idling with no ram air coming in the engine gets hotter, not cooler. But, as always here, it went straight through and out the other side.

What would I know? I'm just a falang!

It appears, very little about modern engine cooling systems. Automotive cooling systems are designed and engineered to maintain proper engine coolant temperatures whether the engine is idling or being driven at highway speed in many different ambient air temperatures. It is only with a failure in the system that overheating can occur. 

18 minutes ago, rapom said:

It appears, very little about modern engine cooling systems. Automotive cooling systems are designed and engineered to maintain proper engine coolant temperatures whether the engine is idling or being driven at highway speed in many different ambient air temperatures. It is only with a failure in the system that overheating can occur. 

I did not suggest, or imply that the engine will overheat. But the fact is that the cooling fan will switch on much more frequently when the engine is idling with the car motionless, than when it is moving and getting the benefit of rammed air through the radiator grill. Thus indicating that the engine temperature, when idling,  is rising above its normal working temp. 

Leaving the engine idling will, most definitely not, allow the engine to cool down, which is what some folks seem to believe.

47 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I did not suggest, or imply that the engine will overheat. But the fact is that the cooling fan will switch on much more frequently when the engine is idling with the car motionless, than when it is moving and getting the benefit of rammed air through the radiator grill. Thus indicating that the engine temperature, when idling,  is rising above its normal working temp. 

Leaving the engine idling will, most definitely not, allow the engine to cool down, which is what some folks seem to believe.

Your second post only reinforces the first sentence of my original post. Ever hear the term "normal operating temperature". After an engine sits overnight the coolant will be the same temperature as the engine block. After you start the engine the heat generated by the fuel burning process, internal friction and oil temperature is gradually absorbed by the coolant. When the coolant reaches a temperature of approximately 190 degrees F (depending on engine manufacturer) the thermostat begins to open, letting the water pump push the hot coolant from the engine into the upper part of the radiator and at the same time pulling cooler coolant from the lower part, into the engine. The radiator is a heat exchanger, so airflow either pushed or pulled thru (it makes no matter which) the radiator fins removes heat from the coolant as it is circulated thru the radiator back to the engine. As the cooler incoming coolant contacts the thermostat it can partially close, then reopen as the coolant temperature rises. When the thermostat begins this open and close cycle, that is the "normal operating temperature". This is the temperature an engine can reach, if allowed to idle for awhile before being shut off.  The coolant in an engine immediately shut off after being driven will be hotter.  In theory, your friend is correct although the time length is extreme.  

28 minutes ago, rapom said:

Your second post only reinforces the first sentence of my original post. Ever hear the term "normal operating temperature". After an engine sits overnight the coolant will be the same temperature as the engine block. After you start the engine the heat generated by the fuel burning process, internal friction and oil temperature is gradually absorbed by the coolant. When the coolant reaches a temperature of approximately 190 degrees F (depending on engine manufacturer) the thermostat begins to open, letting the water pump push the hot coolant from the engine into the upper part of the radiator and at the same time pulling cooler coolant from the lower part, into the engine. The radiator is a heat exchanger, so airflow either pushed or pulled thru (it makes no matter which) the radiator fins removes heat from the coolant as it is circulated thru the radiator back to the engine. As the cooler incoming coolant contacts the thermostat it can partially close, then reopen as the coolant temperature rises. When the thermostat begins this open and close cycle, that is the "normal operating temperature". This is the temperature an engine can reach, if allowed to idle for awhile before being shut off.  The coolant in an engine immediately shut off after being driven will be hotter.  In theory, your friend is correct although the time length is extreme.  

Oh how sad that that you should go to all this effort to teach me what I knew some 40 years ago!

My original assertion  was clear. An idling engine will not cool down and you have said nothing that effectively challenges that. Let's just leave it at that shall we?

Yes, my Isaan wife doesn't like me working in the rain. But i did get sick once so she thinks she is right. The don't use your mobile phone is believed by all of them i think! She also disconnects tv's etc. in a thunderstorm - but then we did get hit a few years ago and lost the tv and the router. Fortunately computers not connected - but our neighbour's computers were connected, and were fried.

Worse bit, being hit by lightning was bad luck, so she got the monks in to bless the house and give everyone strings for their wrists .....

There is a lot of debate in the first world as to whether rapid changes in temperature, humidity, climatic conditions generally stimulate an increased incidence of sickness. Rainy season causing increased colds is not necessarily a stupid superstition

Ps - some on here seem to think that colds are caused only by bacteria. Err ... I believe they are mostly viral not bacterial.

All that said, I agree with the underlying sentiment of the thread. I have a good degree from the UK and a hard-earned professional qualification; I spent a career advising governments around the world (on privatisation and finance), pretty much hitting the top of my profession. I am a rather successful private investor.

My wife discounts (make that ignores) most of my views in favour of the advice of her brother-in-law who is mostly uneducated. The exception is driving to places where I think she thinks it is black magic that allows me to arrive at places earlier than said BIL - he uses routes remembered from the days of buffaloes rather than maps or GPS.

I acknowledge that he knows a lot more about pruning tamarind trees than me, but when it comes to how the world works and technology it's a teensy bit annoying to be rubbished by something approaching disdain  :sleepy:

On 5/14/2017 at 2:54 AM, sirineou said:

In Europe and indeed the rest of the world  they are different stupid.

Different stupid for sure. Like Christians, Catholics being baptized. People kissing the Pope's ring. Priests or whoever walking down the aisle waving a smoking tin can. Wearing a cross around ones neck. And that's from a so called educated, civilized culture.

Different stupid for sure !!!

On 5/18/2017 at 2:49 AM, Moonlover said:

Oh how sad that that you should go to all this effort to teach me what I knew some 40 years ago!

My original assertion  was clear. An idling engine will not cool down and you have said nothing that effectively challenges that. Let's just leave it at that shall we?

You're 2 for 2.  Which vehicle's engine temperature will be cooler,  (A) an engine that is allowed to idle for a short time after being driven (to obtain normal operating temperature) or (B) an engine that has been driven at highway speed and immediately shut off? It doesn't take a physicist's brain, only common sense to know the correct answer. 

There may be a sliver of truth in that if you are in line-of-sight of a tower it is likely you are in a more elevated location.
Should be rephrased to mean if you have no reception you are lower and hence more safe.

But using or not using a phone would make no difference​.

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

Let's not forget that this moronic "logic" in thai ladies is what seemingly intelligent foreign retirees end up settling for (and "taking care" of). 

"Yes, I want to retard the spark of my brain! I've worked and saved my whole life for this moment!"

...Oh boy....

My gf got upset with me for using my phone during a thunderstorm a couple of days ago, I stopped using it ( in the name of peace and quiet).
Today she shows me a photo of some charred bodies and a photo of a house being hit by lightning claiming it was due to phone use.
Now I'm in a dilemma: do I risk entering into trying to educate her and run the risk of getting my sexual favours reduced ?
Or do I agree with her and keep a happy home !

No contest really !!

" yes love, you were right, now bend over that chair " [emoji16]

Many, many years ago, I took a lady to Koh Samui.

Early afternoon, I remarked that the moon looked nice (it was up and fully visible).

She gave me a withering look and told me "That's not the moon, the moon only comes up at night".

I asked her, if it wasn't the moon, what was it?

She said, "I don't know, but, I know it's not the moon".

A day later, I put her in a taxi.

My gf got upset with me for using my phone during a thunderstorm a couple of days ago, I stopped using it ( in the name of peace and quiet).
Today she shows me a photo of some charred bodies and a photo of a house being hit by lightning claiming it was due to phone use.
Now I'm in a dilemma: do I risk entering into trying to educate her and run the risk of getting my sexual favours reduced ?
Or do I agree with her and keep a happy home !

No contest really !!

" yes love, you were right, now bend over that chair " [emoji16]

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/phones-and-thunderstorms/&ved=0ahUKEwjN1pGqnYDUAhXLLo8KHR_AAd0QFgghMAE&usg=AFQjCNFkXayor5zKJw1MTgolOiO5ALevdg&sig2=fKwMAJNN-1KL9J4Afc6z2A

There  are  more  than a few vehicles  around  that  have  idle shut  off  timers designed to  allow the  turbo  to  achieve  the  same nominal  operating temperature  as the  engine presuming  previous travel  was making  high  demands  on the  turbo. Few  use  the  immediate   kill  button after   urban  travel because  some  think its more impressive to leave  a locked  vehicle  running  or   something.

Debate   based  on  engine  temp  versus  turbo  unit  ? 

Raining, take off gold necklace, take off phone, turn off the TV, and come sit under the metal roof of the house. When I bought window bars, cannot buy stainless steel window bars because of the lightening. Brilliant...

Raining, take off gold necklace, take off phone, turn off the TV, and come sit under the metal roof of the house. When I bought window bars, cannot buy stainless steel window bars because of the lightening. Brilliant...

Sitting in a steel roofed building with reinforcement irons going through concrete posts into to the ground is the bit that makes sense.

On 23/5/2560 at 9:05 AM, agudbuk said:

Sitting in a steel roofed building with reinforcement irons going through concrete posts into to the ground is the bit that makes sense.

The rebar doesn't touch the roof though...

9 hours ago, JohnJay said:

The rebar doesn't touch the roof though...

I think that you'll find in many cases it does. The rebar protrudes through the top of the concrete post & is welded to the beams & trusses to secure in place. BUT, the rebar doesn't protrude through the base of the concrete post so no contact with ground.

I think that you'll find in many cases it does. The rebar protrudes through the top of the concrete post & is welded to the beams & trusses to secure in place. BUT, the rebar doesn't protrude through the base of the concrete post so no contact with ground.

The electricity will continue down taking the most efficient route to "earth"

• 1 month later...
On 25/05/2017 at 1:15 AM, malt25 said:

BUT, the rebar doesn't protrude through the base of the concrete post so no contact with ground.

It doesn't need to, Google Ufer ground, a concrete encased electrode is a very good earth.

Our roof steel measures lower than our ground rod :smile:

On 5/17/2017 at 0:32 PM, BertBert said:

I know an Issan lady who does the same.
When I asked her why she did so, she said: Because it is good.

Does anyone know the reason for this practice?

My Toyota Tiger (turbo diesel) has a setting so that you can "switch it off", lock it up and walk away, and it will shut down 10 minutes later by itself.

It's to allow the turbo to cool down, but really only necessary if you've had under a heavy load & the engine is overheated a bit....I never use it & no problems in 11 years.

This has to do with Isaan but nothing to do with physics. My step daughter who has passed her university exams and is additionally studying to be a teacher invited me to her rented home for a festival. She showed me a picture on the wall of a young German man with his Thai wife and baby, his wife murdered him in this house she said casually. While we were all eating she asked me to invite a German to the meal as i can speak German.

''OK, does he live near here''?

''He lives here''

''I can't see any farang here''

''The picture, the picture on the wall''

''You want me to go to the picture on the wall and invite a dead man to eat''

''Yes, in case he feels left out and gets annoyed''

''Let him be annoyed, i am not talking to a picture''

It doesn't seem to matter how educated they are.......

Archived