Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wump

Different laws of physics in Isaan

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Nothing unusual about people having certain beliefs, passed down from one to another.

   Some people back home believe the No.13  is unlucky (passed on to them from others who believed this) to the extent that they would not live in a house with the No.13 on the door.

There are airlines that have no row 13, hotels with no 13th floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opening the car hood to cool the engine...
Put tiny gravel stones under your tire to prevent car from rolling...
Get a cold from hot weather...
Put the fan from AC on full speed for colder temperatures...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2017 at 0:21 PM, cooked said:

Indeed! I must have employed a hundred people in my small seasonally working firm and I saw just about everything. The things that most annoyed me were:

saying they knew how to do it and finding out a day later that this wasn't true.

refusing to change their way of doing things because they had 'always done it like that'

assuming that they knew better.

All these things are to be found in Thailand, lack of a rational education just puts another slant on it.

My wife has told me that she had seen on TV and therefore must be true: tie up a red dress outside your house or the husband stealer spirit will take your husband (never found out what 'take your husband' actually meant). Fill up with fuel in the morning and you will get more for your money (I did the calculation and came up with a maximum potential saving of 15ml). It's OK to drive with only your parking lights (sometimes called sidelights) on at night.

It's what I like about Thailand, I am constantly putting my brain through mental gymnastics to work out the why, don't always succeed of course.

 

 

You could probably make a similar list for any country... they are superstitious here, we are not, except when a black cat crosses our path... and I spent some time teaching my wife that the change of seasons was not why you get a cold, it comes from bacteria... except after many years here, I see she is right - people do get colds here during seasonal change [which does not exclude bacteria, maybe it activates? I don't know] And you have no idea on 'take your husband'??? really - any guess here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, starky said:

Awesome. I love the rain makes you sick myth. This time of year up at mine as soon as it starts raining i love getting outside the in laws go loopy. My favourite is when its been stinking hot then starts pissing down is to throw on some boardshorts and lay in the driveway till the concrete cools down. 5 years later still waiting to catch a cold.

 

Sure, they probably think of your actions as a head cold... I am sure it looks quite interesting for you to be lying in the rain in the driveway. They must think, what a devoted scientist to conduct such experiments in the rain, or... 

 

So, you are lying in the driveway in the rain and you think the in-laws are loopy?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of these beliefs are handed down from family and it then often comes down to a lack of education to dispel the myths. It is the same in the Philippines and my GF laughs at her 80 year old mums beliefs, but has a few of her own. 

 

Given their poor educational standard I find it hard to believe that Thailand is only one IQ average point behind Malaysia !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My tgf is the same with the rain thing.

Another you can't have the head board of a bed against a west wall..bad luck or something. And what really gets me is turn the head lights off to.save the battery. Or when you get burn put warm water on it not cold water. It goes on and on. Or when i got a gas bbq my tgf mom said it was a bomb and dangerous Amusing really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2017 at 2:22 AM, SiamBeast said:

When someone says that to you, politely smile, and change the topic.

 

You can't fix stupid.

The word that you are looking for here is ignorant ( unlearned or not having knowledge) not stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

The word that you are looking for here is ignorant ( unlearned or not having knowledge) not stupid.

 

Ignorance is the result of stupidity and unwillingless to learn, because if you're not stupid, you will be able to realize that what you're thinking does not make sense without even having studied the subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The word that you are looking for here is ignorant ( unlearned or not having knowledge) not stupid.


Sadly in Thailand for average people both apply
Check on IQ statistics​ and information on education if you do not believe me.



Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG thailand is the only country in the world with sections of the community having beliefs that dont fit in with accepted norms or not based on scientific proof!

Ronald Reagan consulted with nancy's charlatan star gazer before going into discussions with gorbachov.

Prince charles talks to his plants.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, agudbuk said:

 


Sadly in Thailand for average people both apply
Check on IQ statistics and information on education if you do not believe me.



Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk
 

Not sure if this is hyperbole, racial profiling, or armchair hypothesising?

You are probably a decent chap in real life

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

My tgf is the same with the rain thing.

Another you can't have the head board of a bed against a west wall..bad luck or something. And what really gets me is turn the head lights off to.save the battery. Or when you get burn put warm water on it not cold water. It goes on and on. Or when i got a gas bbq my tgf mom said it was a bomb and dangerous Amusing really.

The head board thing is based on superstition/religion. You should not sleep with your head pointing in the direction of the setting sun (west) or south. Sleep with your head to the east or north.  I have been here so long that when I bought my house I automatically checked the compass bearings before deciding where to place my bed.  The head board is against a north facing wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not sure if this is hyperbole, racial profiling, or armchair hypothesising?
You are probably a decent chap in real life
 


It is fact . Google the subjects and do the research.

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Fulwell53 said:

OMG thailand is the only country in the world with sections of the community having beliefs that dont fit in with accepted norms or not based on scientific proof!

Ronald Reagan consulted with nancy's charlatan star gazer before going into discussions with gorbachov.

Prince charles talks to his plants.

 

 

The worrying thing is that they talk back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

 

Ignorance is the result of stupidity and unwillingless to learn, because if you're not stupid, you will be able to realize that what you're thinking does not make sense without even having studied the subject.

Wow,It is evident that you did not receive a degree in Education or English.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...