Different laws of physics in Isaan

wump

Different culture different beliefs. My mother told me not to get cold or wet feet as it caused colds.

Was told couldn't eat ice-cream with a sore throat etc.

After living here 3 decades, I KNOW that going out in the rain causes the "flu". I'm not a doctor and don't know about viruses or bacteria but before the storm there is a strong wind which lifts all the dirty stuff into the air, this then comes down in the rain causing sickness. After it has been raining a while, then it is safe to go out in it.   

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/14/2017 at 9:21 AM, luk AJ said:

Why many Thai people switch of airco in the car before they shut down the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I do the same, always have.  Neither do I turn on my aircon until after I start the engine. Does that make me Thai?

And yep, I live in Isaan.

On 5/15/2017 at 4:03 PM, thehelmsman said:

I just go with it.  For me it's Buddha is talking aka thunder. Yeah..Yeah turn off the phone, unplug the TV.

Those may linger from earlier times when hard-wired phones and raised outdoor aluminum TV antenna could "fry" electric devices to.

Even my family back home turn off computer, tv and get off phone in a storm

tho probably never in recorded is history is anyone ever struck by lightning through a tv being on

You can hardly be suprised what they believe in Isaan, it is the people who still honestly believe in ghosts and spells.

Also they have many cures for every sickness in Isaan.

Many concoctions that cure all.

Starting a fire and burning certain leaves under the sick persons bed also is a good cure all.

Also i been told electricity is somehow different in Isaan so dont try to advise what is dangerous like a chain of extension cords being in the rain going accross a house

Also Thai motorbike is different as turning on the light will burn up more gas apparently!

25 minutes ago, klikster said:

Those may linger from earlier times when hard-wired phones and raised outdoor aluminum TV antenna could "fry" electric devices to.

I was about 10 or 12, in Florida (born 1967), and lightening hit a dead tree about 150 feet from Dad's house.

We had a 1970's TV (not sure if that makes any difference to today's TV's??).

It was a giant console TV, sitting on the floor & it all but exploded. BOOM! POW! POOF! Sparks flew out the back.

We had lightening rods on the roof with 1/4' copper wires connected to long rods 6 feet long driven into the ground also, so the house was securely grounded.

Giant slabs of the dead tree almost hit the house is how we knew it hit the tree.

I'm no electrician. just saying what happened.

1 hour ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Different culture different beliefs. My mother told me not to get cold or wet feet as it caused colds.

Was told couldn't eat ice-cream with a sore throat etc.

After living here 3 decades, I KNOW that going out in the rain causes the "flu". I'm not a doctor and don't know about viruses or bacteria but before the storm there is a strong wind which lifts all the dirty stuff into the air, this then comes down in the rain causing sickness. After it has been raining a while, then it is safe to go out in it.   

After reading your post, it is clear to me that after having lived here for 3 decades you still know nothing about how people contract the flu. Your last two sentences made that clear to me. 

During high school I studied radio/TV electronics and worked summers in several radio/TV/appliance shops.  At one place I was part of a 2-man crew that installed swamp-coolers as well as setting up televisions along with external, mast-style TV antennas.  We always installed an earth ground rod wired to the mast.

While I never saw the result of a lightening strike, I heard horror stories.

35 minutes ago, klikster said:

I do the same, always have.  Neither do I turn on my aircon until after I start the engine. Does that make me Thai?

And yep, I live in Isaan.

I believe the theory (as I've heard it) is that shutting it off before you start the car (same as shutting it off when you stop the car), is that "it's bad for the compressor", as the oil drains out of it.

Yes compressors need oil, but they work on a pressurized system, where the oil mixes with the freon.

Been driving 35 years & never had that problem.

2 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

I believe the theory (as I've heard it) is that shutting it off before you start the car (same as shutting it off when you stop the car), is that "it's bad for the compressor", as the oil drains out of it.

Yes compressors need oil, but they work on a pressurized system, where the oil mixes with the freon.

Been driving 35 years & never had that problem.

Agree 100%

To me, common logic =  you don't shut off aircon when stopping the engine, the compressor will engage when you next start the engine.

Not good idea IMHO.

Back to the cute Isaan stories....

I LOVE Surin....for a visit. I was out one night with the wife in Prasat a couple miles from Mom & Dad's house and the air was crystal clear.

There was no moon and a bazillion stars out/visible. It was GORGEOUS!

I just stopped off a side road, got out and marveled at the sky for 5 or 10 minutes. My wife thought I'd lost my mind.

A few days later she told me Dad said that was a VERY BAD place to stop at night, as there were many ghosts in that area!

Oh yeah.....cannot put the head of the bed against the wall either & do not put it against a west wall.

=============

Ask anybody in Thailand for directions..."Turn right on HWY 22"....Would that be east or west? as I'm coming from the south/north"

Just turn right. AAAARRRGH!

3 minutes ago, klikster said:

Agree 100%

To me, common logic =  you don't shut off aircon when stopping the engine, the compressor will engage when you next start the engine.

Not good idea IMHO.

Just wearing out the OFF/ON switch.

My wife started trying to explain a "Phop" to me once.

It's apparently some evil, zombie-looking critter, with his skin hanging off his face, that (of course) only comes out at night, finds pregnant ladies, and steals and eats their babies.

I had a great belly laugh & she said "NO! It's TRUE! My Dad was frog hunting one night and saw one!"

My guess is that her dad saw the local soidog.

1 hour ago, rapom said:

After reading your post, it is clear to me that after having lived here for 3 decades you still know nothing about how people contract the flu. Your last two sentences made that clear to me. 

I don't think medical knowledge comes from where you have been living. Strange thing to say. 

7 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I don't think medical knowledge comes from where you have been living. Strange thing to say. 

I agree with your first sentence, living in Thailand has definitely not improved your medical knowledge. If you go out in the rain, I can guarantee you will get wet, less so if you use an umbrella, but being in the rain will not give you the flu. The only thing strange is your belief that it does. Don't reply just Google "how do you get the flu".

My beautiful Thai wife and I were sitting in the sand at a restaurant in JimBarain Bali, just near the airport runway.
Beautiful clear night; and when looking above and ahead you could see the lights of all the planes arriving to land in Bali. Must have been 6 or more lights arcing into the runway.
My wife says" lots of squid boats out tonight".
We still joke about it. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, carlyai said:

My beautiful Thai wife and I were sitting in the sand at a restaurant in JimBarain Bali, just near the airport runway.
Beautiful clear night; and when looking above and ahead you could see the lights of all the planes arriving to land in Bali. Must have been 6 or more lights arcing into the runway.
My wife says" lots of squid boats out tonight".
We still joke about it. emoji41.png

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

My old, ugly Thai wife still laugh about years ago when she shouted , "ai dteam yen laew", "ice-cream is getting cold"

23 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

We see this all over the world. You have simply "gone native".

You have immersed yourself into the Thai culture at the loss of common sense.

6 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Was making a fence and put the ex tree post in the ground with smaller diameter end in the hole.

No good,bad luck.Had to come out and be reversed. 

Back in the days when US farms were smaller acreage and fences served as boundaries from your neighbors or seçtions, the fence posts were cut from hedgerows and strung with wire. The large end of the post was always placed in the hole. This gave the fence extra support and in areas where the ground would freeze in winter, it helped to prevent the post from being pushed up.

2 hours ago, Flustered said:

Ditto

20 hours ago, Flustered said:

Sadly I see this, usually retired Americans who refuse to accept that different countries have different cultures.

A BS colonial attitude of superiority. They can never even be bothered to learn the language of the country they live in. I know at least 10 in Khon Kaen that cant even pronounce "kaen" properly as they are ignorant of the transliteration system. Likewie with Galasin. I know one guy who has lived there for 7 years and said, the taxi driver never understands when I say "Kalasin, bloody peasant". 

18 hours ago, rapom said:

Ditto

20 hours ago, Flustered said:

Rapom. I suppose you adhere to the opinion that foreigners should not integrate into the land the emigrate to.

What do you think of foreigners in your country that refuse to learn the language and think they are superior to their new countryfolk?

3 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Rapom. I suppose you adhere to the opinion that foreigners should not integrate into the land the emigrate to.

What do you think of foreigners in your country that refuse to learn the language and think they are superior to their new countryfolk?

Integrating is one thing, starting to believe in local superstitions is another. You are simply morphing into a Thai. Nothing wrong with that, it's what you wanted.

We used to notice in Oman that expats who had been there for more than ten years or so, started to adopt vacant looks on their faces and become withdrawn, much like the majority of the locals.

2 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

In response to your first sentence, No.  But I also think people should not demonstrate their lack of common sense or education by making statements such as; I KNOW that going out in the rain causes the "flu".                       

Sentence number two. What someone else chooses to do in their personal life is none of my concern, nor should it be yours.  I do not consider myself to be superior to anyone, unlike yourself who criticizes others inability to speak Thai correctly. 

All you have to ask those who claim going in the rain causes the flu, why going in the shower or tipping cold water over themselves from the large pot does not.

As to those commenting about those who "don't bother" to learn the language, there are many who have no aptitude for languages at all. Some excel in math, some English, some physics, some in languages. The desire might be there but the ability is not.

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

All you have to ask those who claim going in the rain causes the flu, why going in the shower or tipping cold water over themselves from the large pot does not.

As to those commenting about those who "don't bother" to learn the language, there are many who have no aptitude for languages at all. Some excel in math, some English, some physics, some in languages. The desire might be there but the ability is not.

Some can learn languages easier but anyone can learn a language. I learned to read/write Thai in 1 month, less than one hour a day. Only someone that is mentally-challenged couldn't learn to read Thai, it's easy. This is just an excuse from people who are too lazy to learn, or for some bizarre reason expect Thais to speak English.

As for the cold/flu

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2917259/Mum-right-Going-rain-cold-health-cliches-actually-turn-absolutely-true.html

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120305-youll-catch-a-cold-with-wet-hair

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/2008/commoncold.htm

6 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Some can learn languages easier but anyone can learn a language. I learned to read/write Thai in 1 month, less than one hour a day. Only someone that is mentally-challenged couldn't learn to read Thai, it's easy. This is just an excuse from people who are too lazy to learn, or for some bizarre reason expect Thais to speak English.

As for the cold/flu

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120305-youll-catch-a-cold-with-wet-hair

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/2008/commoncold.htm

Talk about mentally challenged.  I repeat it slooowly,   you  can  not  get  the  flu  from  being  in  the  rain.   A cold and the flu are caused by virus's that compromise the respiratory system. The flu is the more serious condition.These viruses are transmitted by direçt contact with an infected host or indirectly through an object the host has exposed. Having wet hair will not give you a cold or the flu. Now, if you are in the shower with someone contagious with the cold or flu virus and they coughed in your face, you may become sick, but it won't be because you have wet hair.

The two articles you attached give no credibility to your reasoning.  

20 hours ago, rapom said:

Talk about mentally challenged.  I repeat it slooowly,   you  can  not  get  the  flu  from  being  in  the  rain.   A cold and the flu are caused by virus's that compromise the respiratory system. The flu is the more serious condition.These viruses are transmitted by direçt contact with an infected host or indirectly through an object the host has exposed. Having wet hair will not give you a cold or the flu. Now, if you are in the shower with someone contagious with the cold or flu virus and they coughed in your face, you may become sick, but it won't be because you have wet hair.

The two articles you attached give no credibility to your reasoning.  

You are a rude, flaming know-it-all, welcome to the ignore button.

Archived