Different laws of physics in Isaan

wump

On 7/5/2017 at 5:14 PM, MrPatrickThai said:

Some can learn languages easier but anyone can learn a language. I learned to read/write Thai in 1 month, less than one hour a day. Only someone that is mentally-challenged couldn't learn to read Thai, it's easy. This is just an excuse from people who are too lazy to learn, or for some bizarre reason expect Thais to speak English.

As for the cold/flu

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2917259/Mum-right-Going-rain-cold-health-cliches-actually-turn-absolutely-true.html

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120305-youll-catch-a-cold-with-wet-hair

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/2008/commoncold.htm

On what evidence do you claim that anyone can learn a language, and those who do not are too lazy. That is your own opinion, rather an arrogant one I might suggest. Unless you can produce some links that prove your point. Sadly for them, there are plenty who struggle to learn anything at all.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/05/learning-a-language-is-hard-this-is-why-we-find-it-so-difficult?utm_content=buffer690a5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

On what evidence do you claim that anyone can learn a language, and those who do not are too lazy. That is your own opinion, rather an arrogant one I might suggest. Unless you can produce some links that prove your point. Sadly for them, there are plenty who struggle to learn anything at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/sep/13/am-i-too-old-to-learn-a-language

There are many links out there.

I know many illiterate people that live here who can't be bothered to even learn one new word a day. It's not arrogant at all saying that they're lazy - it's the truth. People have been on this forum for years without ever asking a question on the Thai sub-forum and say they can't learn Thai.

Each to their own, I learned 5 words a day for years.

It baffles me, it really does, considering the freedom learning the local language gives you. 

Today, I went to a wood shop to get ideas on a shed project I have. How the hell could I have done that without speaking?

I also went to the mechanic to explain a problem in my car. I find it so sad, guys been here for 5 year or more that need to take their wife everywhere with them, unless it's an expat bar. I had a chat with my neighbour about a drunk that died in a nearby pond, and the effect of the new rail system on the economy and land prices. 

If you only want to say "teelak pom ruk ter" or "kin kao" that's entirely up to you and the other nitwits that make things bad for the rest of us. On Sunday, I went into a restaurant with my 14 year old and the waitress gave her the menu, thinking(because of all the illiterates) I couldn't understand her. Many many other similar experiences. 

It is arrogant NOT learning the language, and frankly very sad.

On 13.05.2017 at 9:42 PM, samsensam said:

sent a thai lady some photos of my home, i have a double bed therefore i am married, apparently. until i pointed out she also had a double bed so that meant she was married too.

in the background of one photo, on a chest of drawers, was a b&w photo of two children, this, apparently, means i have children ( i don't) and the photo is actually of my brother and i as children.

needless to say i didnt bother to progress a relationship with this lady

i was accused by another thai lady of not arriving in the country on the date i did. the next time we met i took my passport but she refused to look at the entry stamp and maintained i had not arrived on the date i had... 

i could go on...

this is not Thailand...but just women:cheesy:

On 05.07.2017 at 0:14 PM, MrPatrickThai said:

Some can learn languages easier but anyone can learn a language. I learned to read/write Thai in 1 month, less than one hour a day. Only someone that is mentally-challenged couldn't learn to read Thai, it's easy. This is just an excuse from people who are too lazy to learn, or for some bizarre reason expect Thais to speak English.

As for the cold/flu

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2917259/Mum-right-Going-rain-cold-health-cliches-actually-turn-absolutely-true.html

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120305-youll-catch-a-cold-with-wet-hair

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/2008/commoncold.htm

My dear friend....with due respect to your intellect, my modest contribution to the discussion calls to say, "no"...no sir, it is not given to anybody to learn anything....

Allow me to refer to my humble person as an example....quite a many years ago, I took up for medecine at the university in my home town...I studied hard, real hard, but I just could not make it through the first year which was eliminatory...I took up another field of study....and I do plea for due indulgence on the fact that I do not consider myself as a retard, stupid or with any dyslexic patterns!!...

The point here is that some can learn many things but not everything while others can a few other things that somebody else cannot...and so on!!.....

Some can learn or know everything..intellectual freaks or geniuses.....and believe me, those are really not much fun to hang out with:cheesy:

17 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

You are a rude, flaming know-it-all, welcome to the ignore button.

agreed. I don't think getting wet will cause the flu either. I twice ignored warnings not to take a three year old across a short distance when it was raining lightly, without protection.

He caught cold twice.

Is that slow enough for you?

Right, now you can go back to the Daily Mail to do some more serious research.

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

My dear friend....with due respect to your intellect, my modest contribution to the discussion calls to say, "no"...no sir, it is not given to anybody to learn anything....

Allow me to refer to my humble person as an example....quite a many years ago, I took up for medecine at the university in my home town...I studied hard, real hard, but I just could not make it through the first year which was eliminatory...I took up another field of study....and I do plea for due indulgence on the fact that I do not consider myself as a retard, stupid or with any dyslexic patterns!!...

The point here is that some can learn many things but not everything while others can a few other things that somebody else cannot...and so on!!.....

Some can learn or know everything..intellectual freaks or geniuses.....and believe me, those are really not much fun to hang out with:cheesy:

Not sure what you're on about. I assume you mean you studied 'medicine' but got kicked out. Unusual as the standards for entrance are very high in developed countries that the fail rate is extremely low. 

I was a natural at maths but got kicked out my first uni too, due to laziness, playing too much snooker and drinking too much.

I am terrible at learning languages, however, due to lots of effort. 1 hour every evening with my linguaphone cassettes, writing 5 new words in a vocab. book a day and more than anything perseverance, I managed a conversation after about 4 years. Years later, I work as a translator.

Are you really saying you can't learn Thai? Can I ask you how much effort you put in? 

I had an old friend who was first secretary in the US embassy and in the CIA, who spoke 7 languages fluently. Learned fluent Russian in 6 months. After  30 years in Thailand, he once asked me to ask his wife's driver to turn left. This was purely down to the fact that he decided that learning Thai was beneath him so put NO effort into it. 

On 14/05/2017 at 5:22 AM, SiamBeast said:

When someone says that to you, politely smile, and change the topic.

You can't fix stupid.

The only thing more stupid then being told that is being gullible and believing that crap :)

Why many Thai people switch of airco in the car before they shut down the engine?
Tides are directly the result of more or less rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I asked my gf about this.
She believe it makes it last longer switching it off before the engine.
And starting the car before turning the air on will save wear and reduce load on the battery.
Nonsense, also accessories are disabled when the starter is activated automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, cooked said:

agreed. I don't think getting wet will cause the flu either. I twice ignored warnings not to take a three year old across a short distance when it was raining lightly, without protection.

He caught cold twice.

Is that slow enough for you?

Right, now you can go back to the Daily Mail to do some more serious research.

I used to turn the air off before shutting the engine down in my old car on the advice of a couple of mechanics.

Archived