Two dead as foreigner on powerful bike hits local in Phetchabun

webfact

On 2017-6-15 at 3:35 PM, bamukloy said:

The poster you reply to took it a bit far but i can see what he mean.

In a lot of the remote Isaan countryside you simply do not see bikes going huge speed.

They travel real slow to avoid burning gas.

(Except maybe on occasion some kid on way home from school showing off to friends.)

My point, (and what thais will probably say):

the old guy is obviously been doing this for years. everyone else there probably putters around at 30ks an hour so they easy avoid him.

Along come a farang screaming around at xxx kmph. Someone sure to get collected.

Im sure by farang standard and spirit of the law, the old guy is in the wrong for a very bad illegal moove..but its accepted here as the police do nothing about it.

But as many say already, you know 100% some thais will pull krap like this so must drive always as if an idiot is around the corner.

I guess it come down to.. you are in their country you must adjust to their way

Personally i think  farangs and big bikes should be on a special speed limit here

They may have good skills but obvious even after many years they still dont know and dont allow for the driving habits of thais

That was no small one lane country road but a 2 lane Highway with a Emergency lane, or smaller motorbikes lane attached.

No 30 km/h cruising here - that happens only in or between small villages by the way  and mostly old ladies driving!

You compare different roads - if the Thai used that crossing regular he came often to see faster and fast vehicles of any kind!

He should have been used to faster vehicles - but possibly not many faster motorbikes. ?

I live in Issan and drove all over Thailand since 1998. 

Coming to TH since 1990 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, oldlakey said:

You really need to join the real world where safety campaigns and catchy slogans are concerned

Catchy slogans are exactly that, to catch peoples attention for their own good

You really cant pressurize people enough into acting in a way that will extend their life expectancy

I bet the most successful safety campaign ever with the instantly recognized catchy slogan must haunt you

Clunk click every trip ever heard it

Go on tell us that never saved lives by helping to overcome the resistance to wearing seat belts 

Try in future to keep the debate on an adult level, your infantile attempt at an insult is just that

nope didnt save lives but fining them  did when it  hurt their pockets, luckily they had that upstanding Jimmy Savile to do those ads, he ruined more lives than he saved i reckon

On 2017-6-15 at 3:50 PM, bamukloy said:

actually I would say lazyness

And him being the older person and assuming everyone will be pottering around like him- at 30kmph,

he expect everyone will be going slow enough to either stop for him..or get out of his way

This kind of old guy is everywhere in Thailand.

Right or wrong, if you a farang you have to adjust and be ready for this sort of obstacle as im sure they wont be changing

No 30 km/h on that kind of Highway road =  2 lanes and a emergency lane in one direction he tried to cross on the wrong place at the wrong time! ?

On 2017-6-16 at 9:21 PM, Grubster said:

I think you need to be partially insane to drive a bike faster than 90 kmh anywhere in this country. To drive one at all in busy city traffic is not a good idea either.

Oh ? lol ? ??

2 hours ago, ben2talk said:

In this case, one idiot was moving too fast to avoid some idiot deciding to cross the road without looking. The faster bike must accept 2/3 blame, and the old man should take 1/3 for not assuming that something might be moving faster than he thought.

Hard to judge the speed - but bikes usually don't slide much more than 20 metres unless they're going stupid fast... and if he was doing much over 120km/h or 140km/h then he's going to have to accept 100% of the blame. That'll be my verdict... That's the most common 'big bike' error, as my old 'friend' Bubba can attest, going over the brow of a hill at about 120mph on his GS550 as a girl in a car (drunk) was turning right coming from the other way - he nearly cut the car in half and died about 4 hours later.

Despite all of the 'think twice, think bike' campaigns, most of the time that you look left/right when driving a car, you're not capable of taking everything in - bikes travelling at supersonic speeds don't register, anything over 150% speed limit is almost invisible (it's just outside our judgement range and easily rejected when making a decision to pull out).

People who ride bikes and cars knows this - you don't always register bikes with the same gravity than you do with cars. This is one reason people will say 'bikes are dangerous' and it's another reason that accidents like this one happen frequently.

For the reason - so they know me approaching I have a nice loud exhaust which I use sometime same a horn - clutch and two three times revs up - sending a sound signal - Train like -  seeing possible road crossers.

But my Thai Motos have never been as fast as yours? and I would not drive them so fast anyway - so a 400 CBR Honda or now a CB650F are enough for me. ?

3 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

If I can drive myself I do that or I fly - a Bus in South East Asia only if there is no reasonable alternative.

Bus or Van - no thank you - I not give my life in the hands of a Asian Bus or Van Driver. - ?

LOL..I was an accident investigator for 30 years.  Just because you drive doesn't mean a drunk, a product defect in your vehicle, an oncoming driver of a bus or van that falls asleep, a mud or rock slide,  flash flood, a malfunctioning airbag that goes up in flames,  getting T boned,  or rear ended at 100, will make your life on the road any safer.

27 minutes ago, Kabula said:

LOL..I was an accident investigator for 30 years.  Just because you drive doesn't mean a drunk, a product defect in your vehicle, an oncoming driver of a bus or van that falls asleep, a mud or rock slide,  flash flood, a malfunctioning airbag that goes up in flames,  getting T boned,  or rear ended at 100, will make your life on the road any safer.

I did not write I can avoid in self driving all accidents - but I avoid the accidents which the Bus or Van driver possibly makes and I feel much better in that way. ? ??

2 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

No 30 km/h on that kind of Highway road =  2 lanes and a emergency lane in one direction he tried to cross on the wrong place at the wrong time! ?

Everyone has to be prepared for these things.  It's reasonable to assume that the faster bike was going too fast, such that the rider did not see or could not react to what was in front of him.  Any number of hazards present themselves on Thai roads.  If you are a bike rider and you do not understand this, then that is worrying both for you and others.

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Everyone has to be prepared for these things.  It's reasonable to assume that the faster bike was going too fast, such that the rider did not see or could not react to what was in front of him.  Any number of hazards present themselves on Thai roads.  If you are a bike rider and you do not understand this, then that is worrying both for you and others.

You misunderstood here something 

-bamukloy- wrote

"My point, (and what thais will probably say):

the old guy is obviously been doing this for years. everyone else there probably putters around at 30ks an hour so they easy avoid him.

Along come a farang screaming around at xxx kmph. Someone sure to get collected."

I just answered that - if the old Thai did that presumable for years - crossing there - he must be used to fast traffic - as that kind of road is surely most times not used with 30 km/h slow vehicles as -bamukloy- thought could be a possibility.

On such a 2,5 Lane - in one direction - Highway road the traffic is not driving 30!

So I know very well the dangerous sides of driving motorbike in Th but - you cannot avoid all problems. ?

You surely understood my writing wrong - so I will overlook your statement - 

"If you are a bike rider and you do not understand this, then that is worrying both for you and others." 

?

13 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Yes, I also hear Grandma tell my son 'don't go play outside' and 'don't go near the road'.

It's good that he ignores her. I taught him well to take care of himself...

However, the slogan is definitely good for those kids who can't look after themselves.

Try searching 'Nanny State'.

Seatbelts are a very different matter - this story about a farang and Thai guy who died and couldn't have been helped by seatbelts (probably helmets wouldn't help either). It's more about 'stop being complacent and stay alert when you're driving'.

Never mind, go back to your 'moo-ing'. All the cows do it, so it can't be wrong. Right?

The vast majority - by a LONG margin - of fatal accidents here are caused by small bikes - 150 and under - travelling at sub-sonic speeds (rarely above the speed limit) and not making proper observations.

They ride very casually, they're never in a hurry and often assume that it means they're safe... after all, they bought their 200 baht polystyrene cap and they got a full Thai Driving licence, they never do anything for which the police will catch them... so why are they dead?

Not enough slogans, sure.

I'm back in the building

280 KPH, yes some teacher, if you are right I dont want to be if you dont mind

I am all for the nanny state, where road behaviour is concerned and I have never made a secret of it

The seat belts came into the debate albeit a tad off topic because the personal debate between myself and spiderorchid, was about the pros and cons of safety campaigns, and not much else

Yes we were out of order

Can I suggest you read a few of those posts, if you are still at a loss after doing so then you can count on me to point you in the right direction

I am sure you will understand if I dont take ANY notice of somebody who thinks bragging about riding at up to 280 KPH is sensible, in any country even if it may be legal, but you are that clever you picked Thailand to do it

Small bikes, big bikes, or any other vehicles dont cause accidents its the mistakes / impatience / law breaking  by the operators in most cases which cause the accidents in my opinion

As far as slogans are concerned, you can only lead a horse to water you cant make it drink

11 hours ago, kannot said:

nope didnt save lives but fining them  did when it  hurt their pockets, luckily they had that upstanding Jimmy Savile to do those ads, he ruined more lives than he saved i reckon

Sorry Kannot, I like most of your posts but you are wrong here

Seat belts do save lives, the slogan used in the UK helped people to accept that they had to belt up for their own good, and by reducing the resistance to them

This lead to lives being saved earlier than they would have been in my opinion

They  also took some in the early days as well if my memory serves, but I cant recall why though

Jimmy Savile was upstanding at the time he fronted the campaign, oh for the gift of hindsight

You are correct about the lives he ruined, as we all now know

4 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

You misunderstood here something 

-bamukloy- wrote

"My point, (and what thais will probably say):

Along come a farang screaming around at xxx kmph. Someone sure to get collected."

I just answered that - if the old Thai did that presumable for years - crossing there - he must be used to fast traffic - as that kind of road is surely most times not used with 30 km/h slow vehicles as -bamukloy- thought could be a possibility.

On such a 2,5 Lane - in one direction - Highway road the traffic is not driving 30!

So I know very well the dangerous sides of driving motorbike in Th but - you cannot avoid all problems. ?

You surely understood my writing wrong - so I will overlook your statement - 

"If you are a bike rider and you do not understand this, then that is worrying both for you and others." 

?

Ok, sorry.

But the point I made does apply to a few significant posters.

7 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Sorry Kannot, I like most of your posts but you are wrong here

Seat belts do save lives, the slogan used in the UK helped people to accept that they had to belt up for their own good, and by reducing the resistance to them

This lead to lives being saved earlier than they would have been in my opinion

They  also took some in the early days as well if my memory serves, but I cant recall why though

Jimmy Savile was upstanding at the time he fronted the campaign, oh for the gift of hindsight

You are correct about the lives he ruined, as we all now know

He's not saying Seat belts don't save lives, he's saying the SLOGANS don't save lives, only the police catching and fining people until everyone realised that they need to put on their seatbelt to avoid being caught...

A bit like Mobile Phones in the UK - you only have to scratch your ear to get pulled over now...

No worries, it seems normal to misunderstand 50% of what's being written on here.

Just as it seems normal to accuse someone of boasting - perhaps something you're jealous about, when I stated that I had a bike that can go from 0 to 280 and was fortunate enough to find roads that could employ the full range. Most of the time I just used the higher revs for accelerating, just cruise around 120-140. Sorry, am I 'bragging' again?

I could also ride my GSX-R slower than you can ride a scooter without putting my feet down. Yes, I guess that one IS bragging; most bikers have big respect for people who can ride slower than police (who train in slow speed riding).

6 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

He's not saying Seat belts don't save lives, he's saying the SLOGANS don't save lives, only the police catching and fining people until everyone realised that they need to put on their seatbelt to avoid being caught...

A bit like Mobile Phones in the UK - you only have to scratch your ear to get pulled over now...

No worries, it seems normal to misunderstand 50% of what's being written on here.

Just as it seems normal to accuse someone of boasting - perhaps something you're jealous about, when I stated that I had a bike that can go from 0 to 280 and was fortunate enough to find roads that could employ the full range. Most of the time I just used the higher revs for accelerating, just cruise around 120-140. Sorry, am I 'bragging' again?

I could also ride my GSX-R slower than you can ride a scooter without putting my feet down. Yes, I guess that one IS bragging; most bikers have big respect for people who can ride slower than police (who train in slow speed riding).

I know exactly what he is saying, its a pity you dont understand what I said

I said seat belts SAVE LIVES to REINFORCE the FACT that the safety campaign with the SLOGAN Clunk Click Every Trip encouraged people to wear their seat belts and so begin to save lives in the interim period before enforcement kicked in, and they came to the realization that they had no choice but to wear them

Hence this SLOGAN did SAVE LIVES

Understand now, HARD WORK is an understatement methinks 

50% a bit more I would suggest

You made your statement, 280 KPH STANDS, wriggle and squirm all you like 

The reason motorcyclists make up the bulk of the total road deaths in Thailand becomes clearer every time you post, thank you for that at least

I know exactly what he is saying, its a pity you dont understand what I said
I said seat belts SAVE LIVES to REINFORCE the FACT that the safety campaign with the SLOGAN Clunk Click Every Trip encouraged people to wear their seat belts and so begin to save lives in the interim period before enforcement kicked in, and they came to the realization that they had no choice but to wear them
Hence this SLOGAN did SAVE LIVES
Understand now, HARD WORK is an understatement methinks 
50% a bit more I would suggest
 You made your statement, 280 KPH STANDS, wriggle and squirm all you like 
The reason motorcyclists make up the bulk of the total road deaths in Thailand becomes clearer every time you post, thank you for that at least

You're just being stupid now. I never had any accidents over 60km/H.

Archived