Two dead as foreigner on powerful bike hits local in Phetchabun

webfact

47 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Funny how you had no qualms liking the post blaming the Thai....not to mention the hundreds of posts you've made blaming thais in the past.

If the falang bike ended up 100m down the road its means he was speeding so didnt have time to avoid something on the road, if he'd been driving at a safe speed then both would likley still be alive. 

Guess what, speeding is wrong which means the falang is mostly to blame.

Funny how you see bashing everywhere.

The post i liked made it clear both sides were in some measure responsible.

Yes he favoured the guy on the bike but his point in general was valid. 

The guy I quoted is a regular poster and far from being a "basher" {as the apologists like to say}

But I guess you don't want to see that.

As for your spurious claim I blame Thais, I blame those I see as being blameworthy, their nationality is irrelevant. 

P.S. Please quote my posts in full, do  not partially quote them. 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

foreigner driving a big bike at speed all the way from Chiang Mai [perhaps] to Pattaya. There must be at least a 5% chance of dying somewhere along the way. If it wasn't the unlucky old guy trying to cross the road, it could have been a dog, some cows, a pedestrian, a truck with no lights, oil on the road, a farm truck, a wedding procession, people u-turning, a drunk etc etc.

recent road widening in our area has generated all kinds of unsafe traffic due to the poor placement of Uturns;

even old back dirt roads have traffic again as people scramble to avoid the extra distances to the new UTurns

11 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

recent road widening in our area has generated all kinds of unsafe traffic due to the poor placement of Uturns;

even old back dirt roads have traffic again as people scramble to avoid the extra distances to the new UTurns

See it here everyday, instead of going 100 meters up the road to do a u-turn, they opt to either drive the wrong way up the road, cut straight across the road to where there's a pedestrian ramp/crossing and they can ride over it, cut across go in the wrong direction's fast lane to where there is an opposite u-turn that they can cut across.

All to save 30 seconds by riding the correct way down to the correct u-turn.

I'm actually pretty sure that they think they are clever doing so, and that those doing it the correct way are stupid. :huh:

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Funny how you see bashing everywhere.

The post i liked made it clear both sides were in some measure responsible.

Yes he favoured the guy on the bike but his point in general was valid. 

The guy I quoted is a regular poster and far from being a "basher" {as the apologists like to say}

But I guess you don't want to see that.

As for your spurious claim I blame Thais, I blame those I see as being blameworthy, their nationality is irrelevant. 

P.S. Please quote my posts in full, do  not partially quote them. 

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It was an accident with both victims playing there part. 

The guy on the bike may have been going to fast but your blame game post is unnecessary. 

so only you can lay blame but others cannot?

I didn't say I see thai bashing everywhere I was addressing you directly ;)

As for who is to blame, when coming down on a blind bend you should be at crawl speed to deal with whatever lies in wait on the other side of the bend, this wasn't just some random old man, he was actually using a crossing point popular with the locals, all the physical energy that killed everyone was created by the falang, coupled with the fact he was speeding coming down on a blind bend and was not familiar with the road ....that means at least 90% of the blame lies with the falang, not the 50/50 picture you are trying to sell, I'm pretty sure if a thai was driving that bike you would be all over this blaming the thai as you normally do.

2 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Funny how you had no qualms liking the post blaming the Thai....not to mention the hundreds of posts you've made blaming thais in the past.

If the falang bike ended up 100m down the road its means he was speeding so didnt have time to avoid something on the road, if he'd been driving at a safe speed then both would likley still be alive. 

Guess what, speeding is wrong which means the falang is mostly to blame.

a big bike will slide quite a distance when it goes down because of the weight - it doesn't mean he was speeding at all, this accident would likely still have happened even if it had been two scooters, it sounds to me like the old guy just crossed on the bend without paying too much attention to what was coming - not unusual here in Thailand

RIP

17 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

so only you can lay blame but others cannot?

I didn't say I see thai bashing everywhere I was addressing you directly ;)

As for who is to blame, when coming down on a blind bend you should be at crawl speed to deal with whatever lies in wait on the other side of the bend, this wasn't just some random old man, he was actually using a crossing point popular with the locals, all the physical energy that killed everyone was created by the falang, coupled with the fact he was speeding coming down on a blind bend and was not familiar with the road ....that means at least 90% of the blame lies with the falang, not the 50/50 picture you are trying to sell, I'm pretty sure if a thai was driving that bike you would be all over this blaming the thai as you normally do.

I said blame was on both sides and it was.

I did say the biker may well have been to partly blame, no one hadn't up to my post, as far as I can see [though I may be wrong}

The crossing may have been popular but unless it was a designated crossing point, there was always a risk of accidents by using it.

Hence both parties played their role in this accident.

It was an accident, attaching blame solely on one side or the other is wrong and unnecessary. 

As to your comment on addressing me directly, I know you were, hence 

17 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Do try to keep up.

Why is everyone assuming the big bike was going over the speed limit? One can die at or below the speed limit...

on on a blind curve when one doesn't expect someone to be in your lane,  doesn't necessarily mean he was speeding to cause an accident....

now maybe if he was going 20 Km he couldn't havebought reactionary time....but he didn't and he wasn't....

so was he driving blind? An expression coined for people who tailgate and trying to defy physics....could also apply in this case....

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Hence both parties played their role in this accident.

It was an accident, attaching blame solely on one side or the other is wrong and unnecessary. 

Don't see it that way at all.

One was riding along the road.

The other illegally cuts across him at a blind bend and they collide.

How you can figure out that the blame doesn't solely lie on one party is really quite amazing.

Trolling? 

15 minutes ago, DLang said:

How you can figure out that the blame doesn't solely lie on one party is really quite amazing.

Trolling? 

I agree with you, there are basic rules that determine blame - if someone is on your side of the road or pulls in front of you then it is their fault period.

were people are getting confused is giving advice on good riding/driving practice and road awareness which will help you avoid a collision and improve your chances of avoiding an idiot.

fine example of an idiot or possibly two

29 minutes ago, DLang said:

Trolling? 

Trolling?

Hmm, does partially quoting equate to trolling?

Probably not but it is equally annoying and possibly not fully representing my point...

All share a responsibility for road safety and all share responsibility to ensure accidents don't happen.

It was an accident, one that resulted in 2 deaths.

Not sure why almost all are assuming the big bike was speeding. 

I used to race bikes for a hobby and a big bike can travel a long way on a road. Even assuming the 100m is accurate, which knowing media reporting here is suspect at best, the bike would not necessarily have been speeding. That KTM is a heavy bike. 

The guy crossing the road on a blind bend however is proven. 

To be fair without knowing the whole story I find it difficult to blame the big bike rider. Unless you really know what you are doing it is not easy to change direction on a bend. 

nobody knows if the big biker was speeding, but looking at the damage to both bikes, its a fair guess he was , and anyone who rides or drives in Thailand knows exactly what to expect in regards to people changing lanes , pulling out without looking and many other things, drive/ride to the conditions, cause speed  will kill you, not a matter of if, but when. both at fault for me.

Who's mistake?

In Thailand....nobody made a mistake.

It is karma .

Before you go on the street ,you know there are no rules that will protect you.

A green light doesn't mean it is safe to go.......anybody who is in a hurry will ignore a red light....and smash into you.

A wide 3 lane road with low traffic doesn't mean it is a safe and easy drive......a bus could stand still on the fast lane to 

let some old lady out,she will step from behind the bus without looking ......while a fast motorcycle slams in your trunk because he was looking messages on his cellphone.......it can all happen in 2 seconds.

People crossing in a bend .......happens all the time.

Right of way in Thailand ?????no body knows .Some say it doesn't exist.....the left ....the right ....the first come first go...

the bigger go first....the faster go first....the idiots go first???? It is not important here witch is correct......you must understand that if the other car driver might have another opinion than you .....you will have an accident....and if you survive......the judge will choose who will pay for all of this .

Also understand that many people are not afraid of dying ,they are protected by a higher force.

They dont have to drive defensive,need no helmet ,can drive 1 handed ,holding a baby while smoking and texting on their

cellphone.that's why they dont need an insurance , a driving licence  nor a number plate.

So if you set foot ,or drive in Thailand .........the risk is high......finger pointing to idiot drivers will not save you......you

know the risk so try to survive .....if not ....it is probably nobody's mistake, it's just  karma . 

7 minutes ago, bandos2000 said:

nobody knows if the big biker was speeding, but looking at the damage to both bikes, its a fair guess he was , and anyone who rides or drives in Thailand knows exactly what to expect in regards to people changing lanes , pulling out without looking and many other things, drive/ride to the conditions, cause speed  will kill you, not a matter of if, but when. both at fault for me.

actually your fair guess is wrong, I don't see huge damage on either bike considering the KTM weighs in at over 200kilo, as for the rest of your post - as I stated above 

4 hours ago, Farang hunter said:

I just can't admire big bikers enough on how they push their luck too far.

One might be better suited to save one's admiration for something admirable.

Have a look at google maps. Route 21, Na Chaliang, the central reservation has a lot of "informal" i.e. illegal, improvised crossing points for bikes. The accident occurred between Km 175/700 and Km 175/800 according to the news.

(The Thais have been confusing Austria and Australia for as long as they have existed).

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Most unfortunate accident, with powerful bikes, the skills of the rider

to control the machine comes to play vividly, many, who has no experience

in riding super bikes are oblivious to that, not saying that this is the case

here, but it's known to happened frequently in places where you can hire

any bike you want, regardless whether you can ride it or not....

Agreed,Many Europeans come here that has very little experience on even a motor scooter ,renting the super bikes and try to emulate Valentino Rossie.

I can't believe the number of people here claiming the farang was totally in the right.

Yes, he probably was, but he's still dead - RIP. 

The only way to survive on the roads here (especially on a bike) is to assume NOBODY else on the road has a clue what they're doing and drive/ride accordingly.

Keep making allowance for everybody (and everything) else, or your gravestone could read "It wasn't my fault"...!

I always feel safer riding the bus to Pattaya with my seat belt on sitting in the middle of the bus in the aisle seat!

For 11 years I've rode the bus and seen many highway accidents.

I never had a problem riding the bus.  I reclined my seat and took a nap.

No parking problems either!

Archived