Two dead as foreigner on powerful bike hits local in Phetchabun

webfact

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

It was an accident, one that resulted in 2 deaths.

Yes, one of them was 100% to blame for it.

The one illegally pulling across the other's lane (on a blind corner).

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Looks like a software bug when quoting a quote within a post. going to be fun for the techies.

It is. I've made this 'mistake' myself and had to correct it. (and apologize)

If you highlight a quote that has already been re-quoted (nested I think is the proper term) then click 'quote' (oh this is getting complicated!) the system attributes the quote to the re-quoter, not to the original poster. It caught me out a few times before I realized what was going on.

The Webmaster doesn't seem to have thought it through very well.

45 minutes ago, DLang said:

Yes, one of them was 100% to blame for it.

The one illegally pulling across the other's lane (on a blind corner).

Hard to assign blame without actually seeing it. And the article doesn't give enough info to know either.
Obviously, IF the older guy was crossing at a blind area it would be insanely stupid and dangerous, although the norm here.... But actually, we don't know for sure he was crossing at a blind spot. According to the article the police said it was LIKELY that he was crossing there. Nothing is clear about this in order to assign blame. And I don't know any way of knowing if the driver of the big bike was going too fast or not. The article doesn't say. All ideas of guilt are purely hypothetical and nonsensical to pass such verdicts.
But of course, that won't stop the court of TVF! It is hilarious to read the predictable verdicts of guilt without evidence. It just advertises how poorly one reads or how badly one uses any kind of critical thinking, all while (as so often posted) looking down on Thais for lacking such....

48 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nonsense.

for gods sake, yes there is 100% blame but what you are talking about is a different thing entirely

read my post from previous page - you are confusing good road sense and skills to improve your chances of avoiding idiots that do the wrong thing (100% their fault),  you are not to blame just because you don't have road sense - skills and awareness - you can still do nothing wrong in terms of the law but still get involved in an accident not of your making - IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT if you have done nothing wrong

4 minutes ago, Sig said:

Hard to assign blame without actually seeing it. And the article doesn't give enough info to know either.
Obviously, IF the older guy was crossing at a blind area it would be insanely stupid and dangerous, although the norm here.... But actually, we don't know for sure he was crossing at a blind spot. According to the article the police said it was LIKELY that he was crossing there. Nothing is clear about this in order to assign blame. And I don't know any way of knowing if the driver of the big bike was going too fast or not. The article doesn't say. All ideas of guilt are purely hypothetical and nonsensical to pass such verdicts.
But of course, that won't stop the court of TVF! It is hilarious to read the predictable verdicts of guilt without evidence. It just advertises how poorly one reads or how badly one uses any kind of critical thinking, all while (as so often posted) looking down on Thais for lacking such....

actually the very wording of the headline says it all.

How about 

Thai Man Pulls across road in front of other bike causing accident

3 hours ago, onthesoi said:

so only you can lay blame but others cannot?

I didn't say I see thai bashing everywhere I was addressing you directly ;)

As for who is to blame, when coming down on a blind bend you should be at crawl speed to deal with whatever lies in wait on the other side of the bend, this wasn't just some random old man, he was actually using a crossing point popular with the locals, all the physical energy that killed everyone was created by the falang, coupled with the fact he was speeding coming down on a blind bend and was not familiar with the road ....that means at least 90% of the blame lies with the falang, not the 50/50 picture you are trying to sell, I'm pretty sure if a thai was driving that bike you would be all over this blaming the thai as you normally do.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Most unfortunate accident, with powerful bikes, the skills of the rider

to control the machine comes to play vividly, many, who has no experience

in riding super bikes are oblivious to that, not saying that this is the case

here, but it's known to happened frequently in places where you can hire

any bike you want, regardless whether you can ride it or not....

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

A Fool on a powerful Bike on his way to Pattaya.

I don't care whose "fault" it was.

Whose "fault" it was is totally irrelevant, dead is dead, and that is the final answer.

The rider in question was both a highly experienced rider and very familiar with Thailand riding his own bike on a route he was familiar with. Your collective assumptions are ugly and serve nothing than your unjustifiable smugness. 

How about 

It seems they claim the foreigner is responsible for the accident while not proven he was speeding.
And more likely the local used a blind spot in the bend to cross the road.

8 minutes ago, smedly said:

How about 

We must be reading different articles.... That's really weird....
The headline of the article I read that is attached to this forum post says, "Two dead as foreigner on powerful bike hits local in Phetchabun"
Of course, my assumption is along the lines of what I think you are leaning toward, that it is the fault of the older man who was apparently crossing the road improperly. My point is that we don't really know with certainty. As usual, these articles are very poorly translated and leave nearly everything up to speculation with a dearth of details. Nothing in the article that I noticed was clearly stating anything done wrong by either party.

Let's look at this objectively people.

The headline of this article assigns blame when they can't even guarantee the premise - they can't even get the colour of the KTM (orange!!!) correct.  What we do know:

• The big bike was traveling correctly down highway 21.
  • There has been no forensic study as to the possible speed of the KTM.
  • The incident took place on a blind curve.
  • The scooter was T-boned on the right side of their front wheel (notice the bend in it) indicating that their bike was perpendicular to the travel of traffic.
  • There was no authorised crossing where the incident happened.
  • A Super Duke with rider weighs approximately 300 kg.  At 100 km/h that's 8028 Newtons of force Usain Bolt runs the 100 meters in 9.58 seconds and weighs 94 kg; that means he has a potential of only 980 Newtons.  This is approximately the force that a rugby player will have if you are tackled by him.  Thus the bike has well over 800% of that force.
  • In WSBK bikes traveling approximately 100 km/h in corners will transverse the same distance if there is an accident especially if the bike is flipping rear over front.

Using my own prejudiced (as I learned to drive outside of the Kingdom) experience the scooter rider is at fault.  Failure to yield.  Failure to maintain a safe distance.  Impeding traffic.  All of those are on the books where I am from and would be applied in such a case.

41 minutes ago, smedly said:

for gods sake, yes there is 100% blame but what you are talking about is a different thing entirely

read my post from previous page - you are confusing good road sense and skills to improve your chances of avoiding idiots that do the wrong thing (100% their fault),  you are not to blame just because you don't have road sense - skills and awareness - you can still do nothing wrong in terms of the law but still get involved in an accident not of your making - IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT if you have done nothing wrong

I wasn't quoting you.

I take issue with what the poster I quoted is saying and also, what he implies I am claiming by deliberate editing of my posts.

In the case of this accident it is neither one nor the other who is solely responsible, they both share some responsibility and paid for it in the most terrible way.

Stop trying to blame one side is my point!

It was an accident.

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

In the case of this accident it is neither one nor the other who is solely responsible, they both share responsibility and paid for it in the most terrible way.

Stop trying to blame one side is my point!

One side is 100% to blame.

The Thai that pulled across in front of the rider at the blind bend. 

I had been in the same situation and I could manage to stop, but my bike almost hit in the middle of her bike. 

I'm not sure how some people brain function, but I'm sure their estimates are absolutely wrong. 

Bikes on road can not stop with such short notice. 

Yes, there is no question. I have seen bikers on large m/b pass me in my car, going at around 85 km/hr, like I was standing still (an exaggeration but you know what I mean). With all the other hazards on the roads this seems crazy to me. Crossing the central reservation is also widely practiced even when the reservation concave. One can observe well ridden tracks at intervals and in some cases, even wooden planks making a bridge across. Authorities do nothing to stop this.

I took a look at StreetView on Google Maps. Here's what I found. I struggle to call that blind corner, not from a drivers/riders perspective. From the pics here it looks like there is at least 100m visibility throughout the corner. The enclosed screen grabs start from the 175/700 marker and are around 100 meters apart.The the final picture shows the /800 marker highlighted. 

Us armchair analysts can't make anything else but assumptions about the rest of the circumstances. Regardless of what we think, two are dead and it's messed up. 

RIP.

Petchabun Crashsite 4.png

Petchabun Crashsite 1.png

Petchabun Crashsite 2.png

Petchabun Crashsite 3.png

what we have is an elderly man pulled across the road in front of another vehicle, he may even have had poor eyesight but regardless - I fail to see why there is so much debate about this, he should have waited until the road was clear or if he couldn't see then find somewhere were he could

The headline is confusing and incorrect, what I wrote on a previous post is more accurate as to what actually happened.

Enough of all this silliness 

The description of the super biker was "a foreigner" Is it the position of the press now to describe  Ferangs as foreigner's?Surely if the biker was Thai, Indian,or a member of this continent, he would have been as "Asian"

It has always been my belief that white Anglo Saxon people are referred to Ferang's.As to what middle Eastern people are called, am not sure. But the word foreigner would be more applicable to people of that part of the world, as 'Ferang,  until a positive identification could be established.As they would not immediately be recognised as white Anglo Saxon Usually Thai media, is more than happy to describe any white A/S as Ferang, If they are involved in any  accident or crime against the realm.Would an obviously black person be described as a foriegner, as they would obviously be of the African continent. There is the supposition that an English black man would be mistaken for an African, until they had been identified.

I post this, simply as a question, why is it Foreigners now?

I do not post this with any bigotry to any race.It is purely a question.

7 hours ago, o2eZy said:

how many times have you seen bike riders just without looking pullout into traffic or take the easiest way from point A to point B..go against traffic and have no idea on road rules ...I just shake my head when travelling in Bangkok...is easy to understand why the death rate for bike riders is so high and there is nothing done to curb it ..police do nothing and either does the government ...

What does it have to do with the government? They have passed laws already. It is entirely the fault of the police, who have cleverly worked out that they get paid whether they work or not.

8 hours ago, Farang hunter said:

Damn  some ignorant foreigners when they just think the world is a perfect place.   hey stranger behave your self

Why are you assuming it was the foreigner's fault? I can only surmise you have been in Thailand 5 minutes if you don't factor in how fickle the locals can be on the road. There's every chance the big bike was speeding, but you could bet your bottom dollar the old Thai boy crossed the road without paying proper attention. Open your eyes, old bean.

7 hours ago, Farang hunter said:

I just can't admire big bikers enough on how they push their luck too far.

Do you also judge owners of big-engine cars that prefer this model over that model? What about doctors who drive huge SUVs when they could get by with a Honda Jazz? In your narrow field of view, are they all pushing their luck? Rhetorical. Carry on. :saai:

8 hours ago, o2eZy said:

how many times have you seen bike riders just without looking pullout into traffic or take the easiest way from point A to point B..go against traffic and have no idea on road rules ...I just shake my head when travelling in Bangkok...is easy to understand why the death rate for bike riders is so high and there is nothing done to curb it ..police do nothing and either does the government ...

Hardly ever but I've seen locals on plastic pigs doing all you say every single hour.

Archived