Any updates on How To Marry a Myanmar Citizen?

rcoyote

Hi I read some interesting information about marrying a Myanmar citizen but it was dated back to 2014. A lot has changed since then. Does anyone have any new experiences?  My gf and I live in Thailand. She is from Myanmar and has a real Myanmar passport. I'm trying to figure out if we should go and get married in Myanmar. Or go to Myanmar get whatever forms we need and then get married in Thailand. Earlier someone suggested getting an agent in Myanmar, getting the paperwork and then getting married in Thailand. 

We will go to the Myanmar Embassy today and see what they suggest. But I'd greatly appreciate someone who has already had success. preferably in the last year or two, but anything helps. Thanks.

Extra information: I'm a US citizen. We've lived together for 3 years. And I've heard I shouldn't mention living together to the Myanmar officials. 

Thanks for jumpin in. I have a decent idea how to get the paperwork in Myanmar that I need. But I'm not sure how long it takes. And also, how long it takes in Thailand and If I need to have a job or a certain amount of savings to get married in Thailand. I currently have a job, but gave my notice, so I can visit my family in the US. But now I'm wondering if I should and can pull this off before my last day of work. Otherwise it may be awhile until I can do it again. Thanks. 

6 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

You can marry anyone, anytime, anywhere.  Hope this helps. ?

In that case I would like to marry Catherine Bell at 09:00 tomorrow in my shower to be followed by immediate consummation and a sandwich.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 10.56.09 PM.png

haha. Yeah just what I thought. But if someones actually done it, It may not be so hard. Thanks anyhow.. and good luck with your gal there..looks like that ones gonna cost more than a nut.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got married to my myanmar girl in december last year in Yangon. Just go to an agent near Sule pagoda and pay 500000 kyts and they organise everything with the judge etc. We are living in Myanmar but if you want to go back to your home country or Thailand and live that could be a whole lot more complicated :blush:

• 5 months later...

Hello all my friends,  My name is WAI ME and from Myanmar but I want to make marriage certificate with foreigner in Thailand and then I want to change citizen and I'll relocate with him.  It's possible for me in Thailand or not? Please give me advice. I'll waiting for your advice.Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2017 at 8:58 PM, wangotango said:

I got married to my myanmar girl in december last year in Yangon. Just go to an agent near Sule pagoda and pay 500000 kyts and they organise everything with the judge etc. We are living in Myanmar but if you want to go back to your home country or Thailand and live that could be a whole lot more complicated :blush:

hello wangotango,i live in yangon and my bf from eu.i want to know what documents we need if we marriage in myanmar and you told an agent near sule pagoda,can i get this agent address?

• 5 months later...
On 8/7/2017 at 10:28 PM, wangotango said:

Hi, I'm from Malaysia and my husband from Myanmar. Appreciate if you can provide the agent contact to me. Actually how is the procedures? Is it difficult or complicated to get it done? Million thanks for your respond. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 6:02 AM, StephanieMomo said:

I'm Malaysian married my husband myanmar in Thailand and register in Malaysia.we have a baby boy.

Can you go into more detail as to the exact procedure you needed to do in order to get married.  A summary of each step please. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have updates on marriage to a Myanmar citizen? Especially a western man to a Burmese woman? My not yet legal wife is 44 with a regular Myanmar passport and I'm a 66 YO American, we live in Thailand. 

I am being advised by a close friend from Myanmar whose business is Thai and Myanmar immigration issues, that the best way is to pay for a "permission to marry" document from the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok and then get married in Thailand. Thailand will not allow it without this document for my wife.

Any comment or recent experience? Thanks and best of luck to all of you with Myanmar marriage issues.

• 4 months later...

Hi to all,

My girlfriend is from Myanmar and yes we wish to get married, after reading some comments here I thought it would not be difficult if you are in your own country and get your lady a tourist visa for few months which will give you enough time to prepare to get married in your own country which in that case they have to give your wife a permit of residency which she would probably have to renew it every six months until she is able to become a citizen of your country.

I hope this can help others. 

AJC

Archived