Obtaining a Credit Card in Thailand

I have lived here around ten years, and maintained good banking relationships, I have debit cards but no credit cards these days

The banks as far as i can see will only give a credit card with a blocked deposit

I even tried for my wife as she has 100,000 in and spent each month but has no regular employment

Has anyone had any luck overcoming this, I just checked into a hotel in Bangkok have prepaid everything but they either want a large cash deposit or a credit card

Maybe I have to accept I lock up 100,000 bhat to have a credit card, I can easily do it but it is the principal that kills me 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without having a current work permit it's unlikely you will granted a credit limit. I have several credit cards that were approved whilst working with a work permit for a large company.

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Why don't you just use your debit card when checking into the hotel, that's what I do.

I am staying at Dusit  ( only 5 star deluxe)  opposite Lumpini Park,and a stones throw from hospital, and they would not take it for extras, I then said Ok take what you want off it but give me cash refund  at the end, they said no

I will get even when I file my trip adviser report, also requested high floor but did not get

Simple next time take more obliging and way cheaper hotel, we are only here for six nights while going to Chulalongthorn for more reviews and tests 

My UK cards went when my UK address ceased

Regardless of many minor irritations my last ten yrs here the best in my life, and before I came here I lived very well

Keep smiling

I got two credit cards sent to me in the post about two years ago, Mastercard and Visa from the K Bank.....the amazing thing was ......I never even asked for a C/C.....in fact, I never activated them.

PS. Had little money in the Bank, it is not my main one.

Standing on principle on this is like cutting off your nose to spite your own face.

I have locked up 300,000 baht to enable me to have credit cards. Some other banks only issue them to foreigners with work permits. If you don't need the credit, per say, but want the convenience, I say go with it.

K bank have a debit card you can use for online shopping and reservations. If you want a credit card apply for a very low limit say B 10 000 and then you top it up with cash when you need to cover bigger expenses. This way you limit the risk for the bank but you have what you want.

6 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I got two credit cards sent to me in the post about two years ago, Mastercard and Visa from the K Bank.....the amazing thing was ......I never even asked for a C/C.....in fact, I never activated them.

PS. Had little money in the Bank, it is not my main one.

Useful, I will investigate 

I used to have both UK and USA credit cards, and have been a retired intinerate gypsie for the last 20 yrs , I travelled globally on my own boat and always needed to be able to raise like 50,000 pound for emergency repairs, just in case, and credit cards with high limits were ideal

Some ten yrs ago I started cancelling them, a mistake, but now I am fully retired in Thailand with no UK address, and declare to UK pensions I live in Thailand, my last remaining card with a 50,000 limit was withdrawn

I only need a card occasionally and a small limit like 100,000 baht would do nicely

I like and agree Jacko45K comment, and may well follow this advice, but even more, what Southern Star says is an exceedingly good solution, low limit but can be topped up instantaneously

I use online banking in Thailand and it is easy to top up online,  

I am a great believer in a consensus view is normally the best, some helpful input, thanks everyone

I have had a Thai Citibank Card for the last 23 years. I do not have a bank account with them and I did not have to give them a security deposit. There is a small advance annual fee which includes insurance to cover them. Their standard credit limit is 5 times monthly earnings. They gave me Visa and MasterCard and have increased the credit limits to B270,000. I am retired now but they will increase the limit if I pay an increased annual fee to cover their insurance. I always pay the balance on time to avoid interest so they consider me to be a good risk. I suggest you try Citibank if your own bank will not give you a credit card without you giving them a security deposit of B300,000 so they can loan you back your own money and charge you interest on it.

I've been with UOB for some years, they offered me a credit card two months ago with none of my deposits being blocked, it's got a 300k credit limit and is free the first year, thereafter it's a 10k fee. I took the card just to try but I still have two UK cards that I've had for fifteen years whilst living here, the ability pay in THB without any associated costs is helpful but to be honest a debit card works just as well, am unsure if I'll keep it for a second year, we'll see.

Generally for a foreigner a work permit and adequate salary is required to get a Thai unsecured credit card.  By unsecured I mean no security/locked deposit as collateral for the card.

But getting an "unsecured" Thai credit card (locked deposit required) is not a problem since the bank issuing the card is fully protected in case you don't pay your balance, skip country without paying off the balance, etc.

It would seem a person who say was on a long term visa/extension of stay and could show life time govt pensions coming should be able to get an unsecured credit card, but generally it just don't work that way with Thai card companies.  Guess they have been burnt too many times over the years in farangs skipping country without paying off card balances and the card company can't do anything after the person has skipped Thailand.  Generally a different story for Thais who just can''t skip Thailand unless maybe you are the Red Bull heir or other HiSo wanted by Thai authorities for a major crime.

You will see some posts on ThaiVisa were some farang have got unsecured credit cards without a locked deposit but they are the exceptions  and sometimes from their posts they may have left out some key details as to why the card company decided to give them one....like maybe have a good friend working in the card company,  having large balances on deposit with the bank, etc.  

Yeap, Thai credit card companies are gun-shy in approving credit cards for farangs unless they have a work permit and adequate salary....and usually been working at the job for at least 6 months.

it seems Americans feel naked when not having a credit card ....:smile:. while in Thailand the debit cards and virtual online cards from them working fine ....must be some status symbol I think for them .....:wink:

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

it seems Americans feel naked when not having a credit card ....:smile:. while in Thailand the debit cards and virtual online cards from them working fine ....must be some status symbol I think for them .....:wink:

No, we just like to play the credit card  float for thirty days, rather than losing the money instantly by using a debit card 

10 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I don't have friends or relatives working in finance related business in Thailand and my deposits at UOB are not huge by any means.

I would say you are one of the exceptions.  But an annual 10K baht (approx $300 USD) fee is very pricey.  I expect with that high annual fee UOB is buying some insurance to cover themselves from any possible losses.

9 minutes ago, david555 said:

Nope.  Credit cards give more consumer protection than debit cards   Credit cards usually have good cash back/reward points programs...much better than what a debit card might offer.  Like my credit cards which pay 1.5% cash back.   Use the credit card money to initially pay and always pay balance in full...don't pay a penny of interest.   Plus some businesses will not accept a debit card for payment but gladly accept a credit card.  Use of a credit card also builds your credit report.  

26 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

No, we just like to play the credit card  float for thirty days, rather than losing the money instantly by using a debit card  my remark was only a teaser ...:smile:

So living on the financial edge .... with a rising $$$ ?  :shock1:   :smile: .....(  my remark is only a teaser ...:smile:..)

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

Nope.  Credit cards give more consumer protection than debit cards   Credit cards usually have good cash back/reward points programs...much better than what a debit card might offer.  Like my credit cards which pay 1.5% cash back.   Use the credit card money to initially pay and always pay balance in full...don't pay a penny of interest.   Plus some businesses will not accept a debit card for payment but gladly accept a credit card.  Use of a credit card also builds your credit report.  

Consumer protection in Thailand ....:shock1:..? , but can understand is part of the USA life style , my remark was only a teaser ...:smile:

I got an Thai (Airways) AMEX Platinum with 160,000 unsecured credit without Thai work permit or Thai salary six years ago.

Every year they have increased the unsecured credit. Now I have 840,000 baht without asking for it.

By using the card I collect miles which I use for a free business class trip to Europe each year.

I have an Amex card issued in Thailand admittedly its not as widely accepted as Visa and Master card but at least I didn't need to lock-up any money and didn't need a work permit. I just applied on-line. There is an annual fee but so far they have waived it each year when Ive asked. 

A person can use below MoneyGuru to possible find a Thai credit card that might suit them.

https://www.moneyguru.co.th/en/credit-card

The site use to just list/compare  bunch of Thai credit cards without needing to answer any questions, but now you apparently need to put in some basic info to find a card.   Very early in the info request the following question was asked...notice it asks if you are Thai or Foreigner with Work Permit which implies a Foreigner without work permit might SOL.  But as already post in this thread there are exceptions.

Capture.JPG.5d9eabda6c659885b419c8cc08316244.JPG

After I opened an account at the Krungsri bank (Koh Samui) and transfered over 1 million to this account they asked me or I want a credit card. After I signed only one paper, in one week I got the credit card with a 200000 thb credit limit. 

Before I had a credit card from the SCB, I had to open an fixed account and could use half of this amount as credit limit. For this I had to sign over 40 pages. Every year 2000 thb fee was from my account, after a call to the  Bangkok headoffice and providing then some information I got this back. After three times doing this I cancelled this credit card. I still don't know why I had to pay this fee and why I got it back. 

6 hours ago, david555 said:

I can not comment on Americans I am from the UK

The problem of not having a credit card is places like hotels and cruise ships can not preauthorise an amount on a debit card, but wait until the end of the stay to take the money

Also when using a credit card to guarantee a booking a preauthorisation can be made on a credit card but not a debit card

I have come to the conclusion, use say 10,000 bhat of blocked funds to get credit card, can always top it up by telephone banking if more credit needed or at time of checkout use the debit card to pay , not the credit card preauthorised, and everyone happy

The preauthorisation automatically drops off after a short period

13 minutes ago, al007 said:

I can not comment on Americans I am from the UK

The problem of not having a credit card is places like hotels and cruise ships can not preauthorise an amount on a debit card, but wait until the end of the stay to take the money

Also when using a credit card to guarantee a booking a preauthorisation can be made on a credit card but not a debit card

I have come to the conclusion, use say 10,000 bhat of blocked funds to get credit card, can always top it up by telephone banking if more credit needed or at time of checkout use the debit card to pay , not the credit card preauthorised, and everyone happy

The preauthorisation automatically drops off after a short period

On a trip to the UK last month, the Thistle Hotel near Heathrow wanted me to leave a deposit when I checked in, just to cover any incidentals. They said they could take a debit card for this purpose and they could ring fence the 25 quid they had asked for - we bickered backwards and forwards with me saying they couldn't ring fence funds on a debit card and them saying they could. After quarrelling publicly for a few minutes other customers were joining in on my side of the argument, eventually the FD manager came out and put an end to it all with no deposit having been taken.

A debit card can be used for a preauthorization....a hold put on X-amount of money awaiting the final transaction to come through.  See below website.  Now what is not mentioned in the website is a hold on funds will only last X-days depending on your bank's policy before the hold falls off if the final transaction does not come through....if the final transaction does not come through with a specific amount the hold/preauthorization falls off and the money in your account is no longer fenced off.   But with all this being said some businesses still just don't want to accept debit cards.

https://www.sapling.com/7766698/debit-card-preauthorization

'Holds' on Debit Sales

When banks receive a debit card preauthorization request from a merchant, it's common for them to place a "hold" on money in the account — especially when the merchant is handling it like a credit card purchase. The preauthorization alerts the bank that a transaction for, say, $40 will be coming through soon, so the bank sets $40 aside so that it will be there when the final transaction goes through. When a debit card preauthorization doesn't include a dollar amount — which happens, for example, when you swipe your card at a gas station before pumping gas — the bank may place a hold for an arbitrary amount.

Capture.JPG.52d1002bf982c5d124865f20dda2aa9f.JPG

Archived