Foreigner seen beating young child after dispute over 10-baht fee

snoop1130

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is obviously not about 10 baht.  No way I believe anyone's side in this story.  I agree this is is consistent with that someone stole something from the woman.  Or maybe she lost it because she is drunk and is blaming the Thai unfairly.  Western women excel at creating drama and hyping up men to fight for them.  The Thai tries to shrug it off and ignore the drunk, but this pisses him off and he gets violent.  Something like that.  Either way, it's just a bunch of idiots.  

8 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Tohee is a Foreigner also

Tohee is a young Engineer - educated in Malaysia, possibly Malaysian but now lives in Phuket and can read and write Thai language.

I really would like to find out what connection he has to this incident and why he is posting the video - and then why ThaiVisa and several others (like Stickman and Thaipoo) just copy and paste it with some dramatic headline.

I have an idea that part of this, and the 5000 reward, might be that the phone snatched by the farang was simply taken away. I can't say I'd do it differently - I'd be uninterested to waste a day at the police station, and uninterested to be bound in to appear in subsequent court hearings dealing with this scumbag... Someone tries to take a picture of my missus in the toilet then they're going to 1. Lose the phone and 2. Understand the crazy side of white men in 'protection' mode.

27 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

You're right. That's not a 'child' it's a teenager who thinks it's cool to catch pictures of girls on his phone when they use the toilet... The guy in the blue shirt came back to sort it out - so when the kid blatantly gets the phone out in front of him he quite rightly just took the phone.

Those of us that live here know that this is ultimately the only kind of response available here - unless you think you'd be better off going to visit the police. You'd have to pay the police before they'd think of taking any action - then they would carefully talk to the attendant, being carefully not to say anything which might be construed as being impolite or slanderous... before saying 'sorry, we can't do anything'.

You know all this or are you just making it up as you go?

No excuse.

That said, there is much more to this than the video shows, not least the age of the attendant which, whatever else, is certainly not ten; and the fact that he ran to the desk/table, pulled something out and then ran after the westerner. A gun? Unclear, but some posters claim it was. If so, or any kind of lethal weapon, the RTP needs to question him about that.

24 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

This is obviously not about 10 baht.  No way I believe anyone's side in this story.  I agree this is is consistent with that someone stole something from the woman.  Or maybe she lost it because she is drunk and is blaming the Thai unfairly.  Western women excel at creating drama and hyping up men to fight for them.  The Thai tries to shrug it off and ignore the drunk, but this pisses him off and he gets violent.  Something like that.  Either way, it's just a bunch of idiots.  

'Western women excel at creating drama and hyping up men to fight for them.' I thought that was the domain of Thai women.

2 hours ago, kmj said:

I missed it where did it say he was being paid, it could be a family business therefore the under 15 rule does not apply

Compensation is completely irrelevant to the determination of culpability under the statute.  Otherwise, child slave labor would be legal.  Assigning the child to a work duty, other than farming, is strictly prohibited by the labor code, regardless of whether the work is compensated.  The child labor laws were enacted in response to the employment of staff's children by Nike and Adidas.  Following the enactment of this law, Nike and Adidas moved their footwear factories to Vietnam and Indonesia.

3 hours ago, ehs818 said:

As anyone who lives in Thailand knows, confrontation and aggressive behavior is not welcome here. It's a cultural thing and helps members of a poor society coexist with limited resources and living space.

And what part of the enchanted Kingdom do you reside in?

There is no valid reason to hit a 10-year old child unless he tried to attack you first with a weapon. If the kid is rude to you, the parents are to blame, not the kid. You can be sure that if someone attacked my 10-year son like that, they'd be in serious trouble.

I'm pretty sure that those foreigners won't get away with it, Thais usually stick together and will arrange for this foreigners to get a "gentle" reminder that it was a very bad idea.

12 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Whether he is or he isn't, what is intriguing is why he would offer B5,000 as a reward? In Thailand? Over a Thai boy who is at least a teenager?

Probably a well meaning person who has taken the clip at face value and assumed it to be accurate: young boy, dreadful job, mean aggressive farang , violent incident over 10 Baht. That would be sufficient. True or not, who knows ?

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And what part of the enchanted Kingdom do you reside in?

Living in Ramkhamheang area, I did see an increase in violence as many more Southern Thai's moved into the soi (65, MahadThai) and pubs and clubs sprang up (owned by police). However, even in the event of a 'fight' with several people involved, and possibly a meat cleaver, the actual 'strike' which begins the real violence is often not forthcoming. We're often left with all the excitement of a running street battle and lots of shouting and posturing without even a tiny bruise, punch, or slap.

I have never actually seen a fight - or any form of violent crime - since 2001 living around this city. I saw these things frequently living in England.

So, in terms of confrontation and aggression I do find this to be a rather enchanted kingdom, right up to the point that I twist the ignition key and take to the roads.....

May one wonder who, and how much will be offered to find a Thai doing something like this.

A Wai, maybe?

No excuses, at all, for the stupid behaviour as shown in the video.

But offering a reward to find the man seems to me an invitation for a round of farang bashing.

May one wonder who is that good citizen?

And the police?

The police will be on the front of the troops, 5000 baht is nice amount of money, isn't it?

3 minutes ago, hansnl said:

May one wonder who, and how much will be offered to find a Thai doing something like this.

A Wai, maybe?

How about this: The money is a reaction to the phone being taken. The Thai guy can now promise his mother he did nothing wrong, and that crazy nasty farang guy was out of order...

After the phone (evidence) was removed, there's nothing left to incriminate the 'victim'.

One can wonder around until the cows come home.

The guy in blue's body language says  he was looking for a fight when they entered. Must be on meth to act that aggressive to a skinny little kid. Hope he spends some time in the slammer getting a good fill of karma served to him.

58 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'Western women excel at creating drama and hyping up men to fight for them.' I thought that was the domain of Thai women.

I thought better of my post after clicking "submit" but I don't see a way to remove it.  Any way to delete a post?  I also don't think my idea of "western women" is anything near a universal.  

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nasty piece of work... there is some discussion, then the Westerner just attacks the boy (who appears more like 14 than 10)...  that said, the attack seems very sudden - I'm left wondering what the 'kicker' was, what triggered him to snap like that. 

Just shows you it is not only the Thais who lose their tempers easily as so many posters seem to say. Though IMO, most Thai people do not lose their temper easily.

They are mostly non confrontational. 

The story of this being about a 10 baht toilet fee is total BS!

The report I read elsewhere is about the attendant taking pics of the girls in the toilet on his mobile. They returned with their male friends to retrieve those pics. It's the only reasonable explanation to be ascertained from the actions on that video.

The naivety of many posters here continues to astound me!

I'm not going to join the "guess the age of the attendant" game.

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The story of this being about a 10 baht toilet fee is total BS!

The report I read elsewhere is about the attendant taking pics of the girls in the toilet on his mobile. They returned with their male friends to retrieve those pics. It's the only reasonable explanation to be ascertained from the actions on that video.

The naivety of many posters here continues to astound me!

I'm not going to join the "guess the age of the attendant" game.

By the body language in the video, that was what my guess was about what happened. Since when does any worker care to stash their phone so quickly when somebody comes to talk to them? This worker sure did. And the girls were the ones doing the talking and I guess accusing, not the blue shirted guy. The fight then started over the phone... hmmmm
Well, We don't really know what happened, but it sure seems HIGHLY likely that the story here is total BS, just as you said. I wouldn't think of reporting who that blue shirted guy is for such a fake story, especially to some random video poster offering a little reward!? Why? So he can go get his revenge? Seems to me that the police should look into following up on the phone numbers that Facebook user who posted the video. And the Phuket Gazette went and published the phone numbers as well!!?? <deleted> For a story that looks fake as hell and that they have no way at all of verifying.... The Phuket Gazette must be one of the regular arm chair judges posting on TVF!

Archived