Snakes

KC 71

yeah, the pic is indistinct, hard to tell the shape of the head and markings are washed out. I would suspect tree snake as well, its very likely non venomous (or very slightly venomous), but since its gone its kinda moot.

kudos for not bashing it to bits before attempting id.

Issan experience ---dangerous here K.Cobra, Spitting Cobra,  Krait, Keelback, these are the main ones to beware of and most frequently seen.  near all the others are non poisonous.    Beautiful creatures, but Issan people will kill as often as not.

29 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Issan experience ---dangerous here K.Cobra, Spitting Cobra,  Krait, Keelback, these are the main ones to beware of and most frequently seen.  near all the others are non poisonous.    Beautiful creatures, but Issan people will kill as often as not.

what about the Bamboo snake

6 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

what about the Bamboo snake

I could have mentioned a few more ---Main highly venomous and found near rural homes most after rats,  but King likes other snakes.  and what about  ???   ask most hospitals if they have an antidote, NO.      beware.

Just now, ginjag said:

I could have mentioned a few more ---Main highly venomous and found near rural homes most after rats,  but King likes other snakes.  and what about  ???   ask most hospitals if they have an antidote, NO.      beware.

Yes agree, got Cobras in our garden along with a few other snakes. We leave well alone as  in treat ALL snakes as Dangerous, fortunately the Wife's cousin is a member of a rescue team linked to the police, He is on call 24/7, By Radio, He goes and gets Snakes and Monitor lizards that have strayed into people's houses and land, he  take them to a research centre, then they are released back into the wild. I would never kill Snakes unless I really really had to.

I think it got washed down from the mountain due to the heavy rainfall we have been experiencing of late !
I am much more scared of them 'dacab' - (giant centipedes ) to be honest

Just now, KC 71 said:

I think it got washed down from the mountain due to the heavy rainfall we have been experiencing of late !
I am much more scared of them 'dacab' - (giant centipedes ) to be honest

had a few nips from 100 legs they bloody hurt.

57 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

had a few nips from 100 legs they bloody hurt.

ill say a big one, say 7 inches bit me and my leg swelled up so big i couldnt wear a shoe for 3 weeks.

it felt like an electric shock ran through my leg, i still shudder when i think about it.  

Had one a foot long heading for my dogs
I didn't want to take any chances so i crushed it with a lump of concrete
The thing still kept moving !i don't mind snakes.used to keep a garter snake when i was young - those centipedes are another story though !
I hate killing animals! But when theres young children and dogs involved
I had no choice - snakes will generally move out of your way.

1 hour ago, KC 71 said:

Had one a foot long heading for my dogs
I didn't want to take any chances so i crushed it with a lump of concrete
The thing still kept moving !i don't mind snakes.used to keep a garter snake when i was young - those centipedes are another story though !
I hate killing animals! But when theres young children and dogs involved
I had no choice - snakes will generally move out of your way.

Same..... those centipedes are about the only creature I feel absolutely no remorse in killing.... I hate them.

Now that we are identifying snakes, does anyone know this fellow? I found him dead next too our house this morning with no obvious cause of death. Only 30-40 cm long so could well be a juvenile, which might be why I have been unable to find a match on the Thailand snakes website despite the distinctive pattern. Similar shape to the one in the OP.

591cfe2ce9875_DSCF0448(Copy).JPG.06a549e4b03cffb11450fcfb6bb341b1.JPG

591cfe3c14bf7_DSCF0447(Copy).JPG.61ed12a5e92bee0c0be4f4283fd39da1.JPG

Sophon

I sent pics of both KC 71's and my snake to Vern from Thailand Snakes. He identified mine as probably the Buff Striped Keelback, an non-venomous and harmless snake. He couldn't identify KC 71's snake, but said that it was NOT a Golden Tree snake (which was also my guess), wrong shape for that.

I also sent him pics of this snake that our dogs killed a couple of years ago.

591d510a51144_DSCI1342(Copy).JPG.2f90a245975157191f07c9029e175618.JPG

591d5128796bd_DSCI1343(Copy).JPG.e508b9821dd356963387d71673798abf.JPG

I thought it was some kind of rat snake, but it turned out to be a cobra. Luckily, our dogs were not bitten.

Sophon

Thai street dogs have amazing skills for killing snakes or at least barking enough to let you know about them. I wonder if you had a western breed here it would know the same !

5 hours ago, Sophon said:

I sent pics of both KC 71's and my snake to Vern from Thailand Snakes. He identified mine as probably the Buff Striped Keelback, an non-venomous and harmless snake. He couldn't identify KC 71's snake, but said that it was NOT a Golden Tree snake (which was also my guess), wrong shape for that.

I thought it was some kind of rat snake, but it turned out to be a cobra. Luckily, our dogs were not bitten.

Sophon

That's why I always trat ALL snakes as dangerous, some markings are not unique.

11 hours ago, Sophon said:

Sophon

That`s not a cobra, even a blind man could see it`s a harmless rat snake. Have many in my garden, especially during the rainy season. Shame ignorant morons have to kill these beautiful creatures.

cobra.jpg

9 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

That`s not a cobra, even a blind man could see it`s a harmless rat snake. Have many in my garden, especially during the rainy season. Shame ignorant morons have to kill these beautiful creatures.

cobra.jpg

I also thought it was a rat snake, but Vern from the Thailand Snakes website was positive it was a cobra and I'll take his word for it.

Are you calling my dogs "ignorant morons"?

Sophon