Thailand ranked among top 'up-and-coming economies'

webfact

Thailand ranked among top 'up-and-coming economies'
By The Nation

51ec6c708311de41acf318e9a468f0ed.jpeg

Bangkok // File Photo

BANGKOK: -- Thailand ranked sixth among the world’s nine “best up-and-coming economies” in a survey conducted by US New & World Report, a publication known for its annual rating of US universities.

The China Daily reported on Wednesday that the US media organisation surveyed more than 21,000 people about how they viewed 80 countries in terms of criteria including economic influence, citizenship and quality of life.

To determine which countries were improving most quickly, the surveyors used a computer model to predict their future growth in gross domestic product and purchasing-power parity per capita.

The resulting upper ranks were dominated by Asian and Middle Eastern nations.

The top nine, in descending order, are the United Arab Emirates, Singapore, India, China, Japan, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Russia and Egypt.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30315481

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-17

it was a Chinese newspaper that was reporting on a US publication of a US university survey. I am surprised that the uni students even knew where the 80 countries were, let alone the economic influence, citizenship and quality of life of those countries.

(apologises to my smart American friends!!)

What a useless news item from another "think tank" organisation that nobodys ever heard of.

Surveyed 21,000 people ..... where ? Do you suppose any of them have ever visited Thailand ?

I like Thailand, but it's really stretching the imagination that it could be the 6th most "up & coming" economy in the world !!

Up & cumming describes Pattaya very nicely though.

1 hour ago, taichiplanet said:

it was a Chinese newspaper that was reporting on a US publication of a US university survey. I am surprised that the uni students even knew where the 80 countries were, let alone the economic influence, citizenship and quality of life of those countries.

(apologises to my smart American friends!!)

Yeah, I agree.  My fellow Americans can be denser that a pallet of hammers.  But!  I'm sure I could go on to the streets a major city in the UK and make a video showing that Brits are equally clueless.  Actually, if you want to see the master of this type of man-on-the-street impromptu interviews with 'stupid people' then check out videos by Mark Dice.  With that said, I could answer every question posed by the interviewer and if I had the chance, I would have fired back questions that would have left him bumbling.  Clueless people are clueless.  Informed people are informed.  It has zero/zip/nada to do with where your home country is located.  

I feel it should read "could be"...

But at this time those at the top who could make it happen are still looking after themselves.

Thailand does have a lot of potential but at this time still to much corruption.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Yeah, I agree.  My fellow Americans can be denser that a pallet of hammers.  But!  I'm sure I could go on to the streets a major city in the UK and make a video showing that Brits are equally clueless.  Actually, if you want to see the master of this type of man-on-the-street impromptu interviews with 'stupid people' then check out videos by Mark Dice.  With that said, I could answer every question posed by the interviewer and if I had the chance, I would have fired back questions that would have left him bumbling.  Clueless people are clueless.  Informed people are informed.  It has zero/zip/nada to do with where your home country is located.  

Yes you are right many clueless people here.

Problem is they watch too many of these Hollywood block buster movies and start to believe the crap that is in the movies, a bit like our American cousins who still have to learn movies are not real just entertainment.

2 hours ago, connda said:

Oh, well said that man! Most Ozies would fit that profile as well! :wai:

Thailand is the hub of Asia. There is no denying that as long as China is doing well, so will Thailand. The opening up of the new silk road trading route will bring enormous wealth to Thailand. In the past 20 years Bangkok has sprouted a whole new skyline of high rise office towers and condominiums.

Of course a global financial crash like the ones before could halt the progression but building new infrastructure shouldn't be effected by a recession.

Take a look at this.

5 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Someone needs to brush up on the meaning of "up and coming" At least in the case of Japan

yeah with the biggest environmental disaster cover-up in history (  Fukushima ) Japan came and went

9 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Thailand is the hub of Asia. There is no denying that as long as China is doing well, so will Thailand. The opening up of the new silk road trading route will bring enormous wealth to Thailand. In the past 20 years Bangkok has sprouted a whole new skyline of high rise office towers and condominiums.

Of course a global financial crash like the ones before could halt the progression but building new infrastructure shouldn't be effected by a recession.

Take a look at this.

I thought the new "silk road" was going north of Thailand?

not the OBOR thing.... isn't that overdone... and not really a big thing for Thailand at all? some of our neighbors... and China yeah...

but agriculture.. and tourism are not bad sectors at all, are they??? and that's Thailand. and ASEAN.... which means the PI and Indonesia.... trade. it's not entirely a bad picture at all. short term. and it looks like policy changes for EV's are a positive thing to keep in mind as Thailand ****is**** a hub for automotive.  Bangkok now has for instance the world's biggest airbag fabric plant... and airbag exports are at all time highs even with a shrinking auto export sector (vehicles). doubling every 2 and a half years (HS 8708 airbags) and other auto parts.  

and the demographic things don't swing that fast. that's the big macro negative that isn't going away at all... education (not even being touched on) .... and aging (not changeable at all).

so short term, good. short term only. 

Archived