Phuket Police charge British boyfriend for death of Sophie Anderson

Jonathan Fairfield

Phuket Police charge British boyfriend for death of Sophie Anderson

5.jpg

PHUKET: British national Danny Glass from Margate in Kent, England, has been charged with reckless driving causing the death of his long-term partner, British mum Sophie Emma Rose Anderson.

Ms Anderson was riding pillion when Mr Glass lost control of the scooter they were riding on after he braked suddenly to avoid ramming into the back of a car, that he said had braked suddenly Monday last week (May 8).

Ms Anderson fell onto the road and was run over by an 18-wheeled truck driven by Nattawoot Kimchue, 30, from Thai Muang in Phang Nga Province. 

She was six months pregnant, with Mr Glass as the father.

Ms Anderson was also mother to 5-year-old Shaye, from a previous relationship. Young Shaye lived with her and Mr Glass in Phuket, but has since been taken to live with his father in Bangkok. 

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-charge-british-boyfriend-for-death-of-sophie-anderson-62188.php#W3oOhVlPEYFgpopr.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-17

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree, it was an accident. But that means here in Thailand somebody will be charged, happens after all accidents. If nothing serious 500 or 1,000 Baht fine, here probably more.

“Both men are being held responsible for the death of Ms Anderson, because both were driving recklessly,” Lt Col Sanit Nookong of Thalang Police station confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 17)
Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-charge-british-boyfriend-for-death-of-sophie-anderson-62188.php#8Wxa4TGm4BtPQsSp.99

I fail to see how the truck driver could have avoided the accident, IMO he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, hardly reckless driving.
I"m sure that both drivers are heavy enough in their hearts without all of this on top.
Truly a terrible ACCIDENT.

IF I'm not mistaken, when there is a road traffic accident resulting in death all partied involved with the event will be charged as a formality regardless of innocence or guilt.. This is why our first class insurance has a 200,000 baht bail bond. 

Again, IF I'm not mistaken this formality will pass and hopefully common sense will prevail in the recognition that this was a tragic accident caused by the bike driver braking.

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF I'm not mistaken, when there is a road traffic accident resulting in death all partied involved with the event will be charged as a formality regardless of innocence or guilt.. This is why our first class insurance has a 200,000 baht bail bond. 

Again, IF I'm not mistaken this formality will pass and hopefully common sense will prevail in the recognition that this was a tragic accident caused by the bike driver braking.

In the UK he would probably have been done for 'driving without due care and attention' by pulling into traffic without checking (which appears to be the case).  I don't think it would progress to manslaughter there but I may be wrong.

2 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Here we go again Phucket BIB at it again. I expect the rubbish roads and low level driving standards found here had nothing to do with the accident. Next thing we will hear after a long meeting and tons of pressure from bib he will be made to plead guilty to avoid 3 years of having to stay in the place to fight in court.

British Government needs to update there website and warn of these tricks the BIB do.

Or maybe a kind person should put up a website to warn farangs.

Another Local Moneymaking scam, sod how the family feel.

Charges are often implemented but it doesn't stop the chest beating from the 'they are picking on the farang' fraternity'. The BiB were involved after the fact- your conspiracy theories are way out of date.

The 'low level driving standards ' seem to have been by the driver of the motorbike but feel free to vent.

19 minutes ago, shanesox said:

If it had been a "thai"motorbike driver would it have been same charge? Hahah would it fairy cakes!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No, they would award him a Red Bull jacket and a 5 year overseas holiday, or if he could kill 9 he might get 40 hours community service because the victim would be found to have contributed to the neglience.

24 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

In the UK he would probably have been done for 'driving without due care and attention' by pulling into traffic without checking (which appears to be the case).  I don't think it would progress to manslaughter there but I may be wrong.

Charges are often implemented but it doesn't stop the chest beating from the 'they are picking on the farang' fraternity'. The BiB were involved after the fact- your conspiracy theories are way out of date.

The 'low level driving standards ' seem to have been by the driver of the motorbike but feel free to vent.

In the UK he would probably have been done for 'driving without due care and attention' by pulling into traffic without checking (which appears to be the case).

Huh? did you not read the OP above ;

"Ms Anderson was riding pillion when Mr Glass lost control of the scooter they were riding on after he braked suddenly to avoid ramming into the back of a car, that he said had braked suddenly Monday last week (May 8)."

1 hour ago, Goldieinkathu said:
“Both men are being held responsible for the death of Ms Anderson, because both were driving recklessly,” Lt Col Sanit Nookong of Thalang Police station confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 17)
Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-charge-british-boyfriend-for-death-of-sophie-anderson-62188.php#8Wxa4TGm4BtPQsSp.99

I fail to see how the truck driver could have avoided the accident, IMO he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, hardly reckless driving.
I"m sure that both drivers are heavy enough in their hearts without all of this on top.

I agree, the truck driver had absolutely no input into this tragic occurance., he was just unlucky enough to have been passing by when it happened.

The rider was responsible 100% tho' in causing her death either  by inattention or ineptness or both.

His charge, tho only a formality here is just and proper in the circumstances.

He will get a small fine and sent off to grieve.

He will suffer for a very long time in so many personal ways.

Danny Glass charged over Thailand scooter death

(BBC) The boyfriend of a pregnant woman killed in a scooter accident in Thailand is to be charged over her death, police in the country have said.

The scooter Danny Glass was riding on with Sophie Emma Rose Anderson collided with a truck in Phuket on 8 May.

Mr Glass, 29, originally from Margate, escaped serious injury.

Now he and the lorry driver Natt Awut Timsue are to be charged with causing death by reckless driving, Thai police said.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-39954122

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-05-18

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Have you even read the news article or are you just imagining who is at fault, in this case anything other than the British driver!

Try reading the British press version and then look back a few months to the Jet ski accident with the Austrian guy.

So drivers local are not the worst in the world. please do not try and say Libya is as that place is at war.

Just like the Australian guy he will get nailed He braked hard on a scooter as the car in front did also but he only had two wheels.

Accidents happen and at times like this with him having to suffer the loss and living with it, do not make a mountain out of a molehill as they do here.

I will remind you  to get a driving licence here in the UK we are trained we have the best training in the world when it comes to driving tests and it takes a lot more than 5 hours.

We also have road sense that is why we have less deaths in a year than you loose in a month or less.

Driving standards there are abysmal yet time and time again farangs get the wrap, when they are the ones who have had the training and have learned to use roads in Europe that are not just a straight line.

I think you must of forgot who are the best drivers and it is not those in your neck of the woods.

Just now, wakeupplease said:

Try reading the British press version and then look back a few months to the Jet ski accident with the Austrian guy.

So drivers local are not the worst in the world. please do not try and say Libya is as that place is at war.

Just like the Australian guy he will get nailed He braked hard on a scooter as the car in front did also but he only had two wheels.

Accidents happen and at times like this with him having to suffer the loss and living with it, do not make a mountain out of a molehill as they do here.

I will remind you  to get a driving licence here in the UK we are trained we have the best training in the world when it comes to driving tests and it takes a lot more than 5 hours.

We also have road sense that is why we have less deaths in a year than you loose in a month or less.

Driving standards there are abysmal yet time and time again farangs get the wrap, when they are the ones who have had the training and have learned to use roads in Europe that are not just a straight line.

I think you must of forgot who are the best drivers and it is not those in your neck of the woods.

This thread is not about an article in the British press.

This thread is not about an Austrian jet ski rider.

If you think British drivers are the best in the world, why did he brake so fast and hard to cause a fatality, why didn't he keep his distance.

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

This thread is not about an article in the British press.

This thread is not about an Austrian jet ski rider.

If you think British drivers are the best in the world, why did he brake so fast and hard to cause a fatality, why didn't he keep his distance.

Sorry but it is about A Brit so what we think is relative.

I do not think I know who are the better drivers and riders that is why we have so many world champions over the years and who has the highest death rate on the roads in the world?

As for the Aus, wait and see he will plead not guilty then after several hours be persuaded to plead guilty otherwise he could be there for 3 years he will be told. Always the way there.

Was the scooter standard good bad or usual quality of not a lot working? And yes I have hired big bikes there.

7am local you have a nice day.

1 minute ago, wakeupplease said:

Sorry but it is about A Brit so what we think is relative.

I do not think I know who are the better drivers and riders that is why we have so many world champions over the years and who has the highest death rate on the roads in the world?

As for the Aus, wait and see he will plead not guilty then after several hours be persuaded to plead guilty otherwise he could be there for 3 years he will be told. Always the way there.

Was the scooter standard good bad or usual quality of not a lot working? And yes I have hired big bikes there.

7am local you have a nice day.

"We", who is we!

I get the picture, you're sat in the UK dreaming of Thailand yet bashing all things Thai, just because a fellow Brit is involved and he couldn't possibly be at fault, no siree, not with all the training and high end abilities he must have, it must be the fault of something Thai, the Thai bike, the Thai road, the other Thai drivers, the Thai BiB, the Thai air.....got it!

10 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Well ... so much for all the TV detectives declaring the truck driver was at fault.

To me it was an unfortunate road accident caused by the bike driver.

if you can be bothered to look at any of my posts on this matter I SAID IT WAS THE BIKE RIDERS FAULT FROM DAY ONE. RIP young lady.

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

"We", who is we!

I get the picture, you're sat in the UK dreaming of Thailand yet bashing all things Thai, just because a fellow Brit is involved and he couldn't possibly be at fault, no siree, not with all the training and high end abilities he must have, it must be the fault of something Thai, the Thai bike, the Thai road, the other Thai drivers, the Thai BiB, the Thai air.....got it!

Find a new painter if I was you as your picture is incorrect, yet again. Then try to understand English so lessons may be in order.

Again the old chestnut T Bashing which again is incorrect. We became a first world country because we learned from the many mistakes we made, so point them out to others and they start chanting T bashing.

You and I  have been here be4 my friend and your comments to me are like water off a ducks back, but others here on TV do not need to be insulted.

As I said You have a good day,  I am busy as I have work to do

Keep well

UK police now refer to these incidents as collisions, rather than accidents which implies they could not have been prevented. Usually there are a combination of factors like driver actions, excess speed for conditions, lack of proficiency, and weather that contribute to the collision. In my experience there is little scientific investigation in Thailand of collision scenes by qualified staff, so the causes will be decided by guesswork and questioning. So anything can happen, that's why they charge everybody and sort it out later.

17 minutes ago, catman20 said:

if you can be bothered to look at any of my posts on this matter I SAID IT WAS THE BIKE RIDERS FAULT FROM DAY ONE. RIP young lady.

Why do you think LiKs comment was directed at you?

11 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Well ... so much for all the TV detectives declaring the truck driver was at fault.

But but ....he isnt thai therefore cant be the guilty party.....if what i read on here is true .

Very sad, may she RIP.

It brings to mind (not talking about this case) how vexed I get when I see ladies on the back of motorbikes here blissfully unaware of what's going on around them because they are totally engrossed in playing their phones.

No sign of being "at the ready" should something unexpected occur.

9 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

if they charge 2 people they can collect double the fine. remember police are basically private enterprise in thailand.

11 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Isn't hind sight plus with new information a wonderful thing.

Probably staying in Thailand as an illegal worker and having lack of experience of motorbike riding and the Thai road systems.

This is something that is going to haunt him for the remainder of his life. A terrible tragedy for all involved. 

I don't know what others see but I live just off a major road that leads from Chiang Mai to a heavily visited tourist destination and I frequently travel that road. I regularly see westerners riding motorbikes and scooters and driving the same way they might drive back home, their positioning in the lanes is wrong, they sit in the middle of the lane as though it is their right to own it - in most cases their awareness of what is or is not behind them is non-existent. They also make too many assumptions about other road users, that they will give way and will allow the scooter/bike use of the lane and keep a safe distance. I also see lots of people riding scooters and bikes who have clearly never ridden one before or at the very least, not for many many years.

Riding a motor bike/scooter here isn't the same as in the West and most tourists simply don't get that, instead they claim to be experienced road users back home which frankly amounts to almost zero here. And if indeed so many are such experienced road users, why do so few of them wear helmets, I would have thought that would have been the number one priority of an experienced scooter/motor bike rider.

12 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

For sure it was an accident. But if you knew how the truck drivers are driving in Thailand, you could change your mind. In other countries, usually the drivers, as they have a good point of view of the scene, brake when it seems dangerous. In this case the truck driver was perfectly able to see the car parked on the bike lane, but he didn't try to break or avoid the accident. As usual in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

For sure it was an accident. But if you knew how the truck drivers are driving in Thailand, you could change your mind. In other countries, usually the drivers, as they have a good point of view of the scene, brake when it seems dangerous. In this case the truck driver was perfectly able to see the car parked on the bike lane, but he didn't try to break or avoid the accident. As usual in Thailand.

Was it a bike lane or was it just that part of the hard shoulder that some scooters and motorbike riders like to use, sometimes?

Archived