Phuket Police charge British boyfriend for death of Sophie Anderson

Jonathan Fairfield

Why someone doesn't see the safety value of a car on these roads is tough to fathom.  If her son was on the bike at the time of the accident it could have been an even worse tragedy.  When you are responsible for the lives of other people you have to step up and stop living off scraps from your Youtube channel income.  The good news (if there is any) is that, according to socialblade.com, his subscriber rate is skyrocketing since he put his "personal" tragedy on the internet and there are convenient and not so inconspicuous business links and donation options offered.  I didn't see any links to make any donations that would be delivered to the child who lost his mother.  They must be forthcoming.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

Try reading the British press version and then look back a few months to the Jet ski accident with the Austrian guy.

So drivers local are not the worst in the world. please do not try and say Libya is as that place is at war.

Just like the Australian guy he will get nailed He braked hard on a scooter as the car in front did also but he only had two wheels.

Accidents happen and at times like this with him having to suffer the loss and living with it, do not make a mountain out of a molehill as they do here.

I will remind you  to get a driving licence here in the UK we are trained we have the best training in the world when it comes to driving tests and it takes a lot more than 5 hours.

We also have road sense that is why we have less deaths in a year than you loose in a month or less.

Driving standards there are abysmal yet time and time again farangs get the wrap, when they are the ones who have had the training and have learned to use roads in Europe that are not just a straight line.

I think you must of forgot who are the best drivers and it is not those in your neck of the woods.

It takes more than training to operate any motor vehicle, it takes actual driving experience, common sense and situational awareness. When I was around 6 years old, my parents took me to the St. Loius Zoo. I saw monkeys that could drive mini-bikes and I bet it took a lot longer than 5 hours to train them. They were probably trained better than monkeys in the UK.

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

if you can be bothered to look at any of my posts on this matter I SAID IT WAS THE BIKE RIDERS FAULT FROM DAY ONE. RIP young lady.

Yes you did say that, but for the wrong reason..he did not move into the path of the truck by not looking behind first.

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

UK police now refer to these incidents as collisions, rather than accidents which implies they could not have been prevented. Usually there are a combination of factors like driver actions, excess speed for conditions, lack of proficiency, and weather that contribute to the collision. In my experience there is little scientific investigation in Thailand of collision scenes by qualified staff, so the causes will be decided by guesswork and questioning. So anything can happen, that's why they charge everybody and sort it out later.

It should be noted that the British police treat every accident site as a potential crime scene. This is why roads are often closed for hours following such an incident.I've not seen how Thai police deal with one so I cannot comment.

As far as Mr. Glass is concerned though, I can comment. He faced up to his responsibility for this accident in a very public way on Facebook, by explaining exactly what happened. Any other comments, on this forum really are superfluous.

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Jet ski accident with the Austrian guy

While I can understand Thai people being confused about Austrian and Australian people just because of the language barrier, I am not amused about (possibly) native speakers who make the same mistake.

14 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Well ... so much for all the TV detectives declaring the truck driver was at fault.

To me it was an unfortunate road accident caused by the bike driver.

Did many (any?) TV detectives declare "the truck driver at fault"?

I haven't read back through the original thread, but seem to remember it was mostly about whether Mr Glass had swerved into another lane to avoid a parked car, or whether he had braked in response to a vehicle braking in front of him, resulting in him losing control  and the 'bike falling over - throwing the victim into the path of the truck.

Very sad indeed many lives involved poor kid looses his mother But if Danny Glass was thai would he of been charged? I think not Be classed as big misunderstanding and all forgiven Maybe 500 baht for not wearing helmuts Oh and thai also say sorry to kid and father

I'm laughing  out loud at all the comments and opinions.

I doubt the arm chair news readers have visited the accident scene, measured skid, yaw, gouge highway marks and photographed same. Have recorded statements from both operators and all witnesses, including on scene Police.  Have secured the police report and all their photographs.  Have in their possession the autopsy report and blood work up on the decedent.  Have spoken with the police accident investigator and hired their own seasoned, professional, certified, accident investigator with an advanced engineering degree.   Have obtained the official certified weather report at the time of the accident and as built engineering plans of the highway.   Have photographed all vehicles with a minimum of 50 photos each, covering all angles and points of impact. Have secured autopsy photos looking for impact bruising on the body.   Have asked the Police if the other operator's body was photographed for bruising.  If so, have secured the photographs. Have done a full background investigation and secured medical history on the decedent, her boyfriend, and the other operator.

If you responded no to all you need to get dressed,  get started and have your investigation completed within 30 days!  Then give your competent opinion. 

:smile:

15 minutes ago, WhiteRedPurple said:

Was the truck driver too close? Yes, I would say.....and not paying attention.

DID THEY TEST THE TRUCK DRIVER FOR ALCOHOL OR DRUGS. Answer. NO.

Wow! Just Wow :blink:

The comments on here just get better and better /Sarc

14 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Well ... so much for all the TV detectives declaring the truck driver was at fault.

To me it was an unfortunate road accident caused by the bike driver.

The story says she fell off after an abrupt braking--abrupt braking of a bike in Thailand is commonplace; it would be the rider's fault if he didn't brake. The fact she fell off is her fault is it not?

7 minutes ago, smotherb said:

The story says she fell off after an abrupt braking--abrupt braking of a bike in Thailand is commonplace; it would be the rider's fault if he didn't brake. The fact she fell off is her fault is it not?

"The fact she fell off is her fault is it not?"

In a thread full of bizarre comments, this one is on the very top of the list.

Fair go, how on earth can you make such a bizarre deduction?

15 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

You must have quite a lot of faith in the aptitude and morality of the Thai Police in Phuket.

Personally, I wouldn't base any opinion on what they did or didn't do in a case. 

:coffee1:

Just now, happyas said:

"The fact she fell off is her fault is it not?"

In a thread full of bizarre comments, this one is on the very top of the list.

Fair go, how on earth can you make such a bizarre deduction?

A rider of a bike is responsible for staying on the bike. An adult may be blamed for a child falling off, but an adult has to accept some responsibility--it is not a car in which the rider is contained.

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

A rider of a bike is responsible for staying on the bike. An adult may be blamed for a child falling off, but an adult has to accept some responsibility--it is not a car in which the rider is contained.

Agreed , but she did not "fall off the bike".

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

This thread is not about an article in the British press.

This thread is not about an Austrian jet ski rider.

If you think British drivers are the best in the world, why did he brake so fast and hard to cause a fatality, why didn't he keep his distance.

Does he have a licence to drive here , a car possibly but a scooter ?

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

UK police now refer to these incidents as collisions, rather than accidents which implies they could not have been prevented. Usually there are a combination of factors like driver actions, excess speed for conditions, lack of proficiency, and weather that contribute to the collision. In my experience there is little scientific investigation in Thailand of collision scenes by qualified staff, so the causes will be decided by guesswork and questioning. So anything can happen, that's why they charge everybody and sort it out later.

Accidents actually no such thing, with proper training, and following the rules 99.9 percent of accidents can be prevented.

LK,

It sounds like the motorcycle had an accident causing both people to fall off but the truck runs over one of them. I won't assign blame to either until one hears all the facts. But will say, is this not similar to cars tail gating each other, the first one breaks for whatever reason (doesn't matter) then  the next next and next in line crash into each other. The classic definition of tail gating. Any vehicle that hits a vehicle in front is responsible at fault because they were not following the 3 second rule allowing for adequate distance breaking.

I don't care whether Thai or not, cars/trucks go way too fast in this country when following other vehicles based on road conditions (meaning current activity)...   

8 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

I think you must of forgot

Maybe the best drivers in the world (but of course, the rest of the planet is sh..)

But what about grammar and syntax!  (have forgotten?)

BTW, it's abut Phuket Thailand, not about the UK

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Did many (any?) TV detectives declare "the truck driver at fault"?

I haven't read back through the original thread, but seem to remember it was mostly about whether Mr Glass had swerved into another lane to avoid a parked car, or whether he had braked in response to a vehicle braking in front of him, resulting in him losing control  and the 'bike falling over - throwing the victim into the path of the truck.

3 hours ago, Borzandy said:

For sure it was an accident. But if you knew how the truck drivers are driving in Thailand, you could change your mind. In other countries, usually the drivers, as they have a good point of view of the scene, brake when it seems dangerous. In this case the truck driver was perfectly able to see the car parked on the bike lane, but he didn't try to break or avoid the accident. As usual in Thailand.

1 hour ago, WhiteRedPurple said:

Was the truck driver too close? Yes, I would say.....and not paying attention.

DID THEY TEST THE TRUCK DRIVER FOR ALCOHOL OR DRUGS. Answer. NO.

28 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Easy to come off a bike especially if you are the pillion passenger, just her bad luck the truck was no doubt barreling down the road hell for leather,it is a common type accident in Thailand,let's not forget 80% of fatalities are on bikes.

My mistake - there are obviously a few posters holding the truck driver responsible for this accident :sad:.

Holding the victim responsible for her death (as per smotherb's posts) is presumably the poster's idea of a joke.

3 hours ago, Borzandy said:

For sure it was an accident. But if you knew how the truck drivers are driving in Thailand, you could change your mind. In other countries, usually the drivers, as they have a good point of view of the scene, brake when it seems dangerous. In this case the truck driver was perfectly able to see the car parked on the bike lane, but he didn't try to break or avoid the accident. As usual in Thailand.

Did you even watch the video .... it was nothing to do with the line of cars parked in the bike lane. The m/bike was in the middle lane and had to slow/stop for a pick-up in front slowing down/stopping.  The big truck was in the outside lane.  Might be that the truck driver could see the situation developing and did not anticipate ... not so uncommon with Thai drivers.   

14 hours ago, stevenl said:

Agree, it was an accident. But that means here in Thailand somebody will be charged, happens after all accidents. If nothing serious 500 or 1,000 Baht fine, here probably more.

That is cheap and I know someone had to pay 3K for definitely not their fault ie indicating to go left in a car and a boy racer, as usual, comes up on the inside  and collides with the car.
Why is there insurance then and many I feel have no insurance or drivers license?

Just now, LivinginKata said:

Did you even watch the video .... it was nothing to do with the line of cars parked in the bike lane. The m/bike was in the middle lane and had to slow/stop for a pick-up in front slowing down/stopping.  The big truck was in the outside lane.  Might be that the truck driver could see the situation developing and did not anticipate ... not so uncommon with Thai drivers.   

I'm obviously missing something here as I didn't think there was any dispute that the 'bike and truck were in different lanes - until the 'bike either swerved into the next lane (to avoid a parked car) or braked to avoid a vehicle ahead braking - throwing the victim into the truck driver's lane?

Archived