Pattaya a tourist ghost town as strong storm hits the resort

webfact

Pattaya a tourist ghost town as strong storm hits the resort

1am.jpg

Picture: Siam Chon

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya beaches were deserted Wednesday as severe stormy weather hit the resort.

Siam Chon news reported that Jomtien beach was almost completely devoid of tourists as high winds and rough seas wreaked havoc.

The Pattaya Harbor master set red flags at half mast meaning small craft had to stay in port.

Tourist operators kept their craft in safe places as the storm took hold from late morning. It is expected to be stormy well into today, Thursday.

1am1.jpg

Picture: Siam Chon

Wednesday was also a no beach umbrella day though it was unlikely that it would have been much fun to sit on the beach in such a storm.

The storm, caused by a low pressure sector over Myanmar hit a great swathe of Thailand all the way from Kanchanaburi through Bangkok and out to Trat on the Cambodian border.

Source: Siam Chon

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-18

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Siam Chon news reported that Jomtien beach was almost completely devoid of tourists as high winds and rough seas wreaked havoc.

Hold the front page...

Tourists wishing to enjoy the sun, sand and sea avoiding a storm ravaged beach.

Now that's what I call investigative reporting

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Since when is Pattaya a resort?

For some geezers it is the last resort.....

Yep, regular ghost town. All the tourists blew away like plastic bags on the beach

Or maybe they were in hotel rooms?

Torrential rain, driving winds and pounding waves force tourists by the thousands to lie on Pattaya and Jomtien beaches and soak up Thailand's beautiful climate.

Sorry, but should this have been a new thread?

"Wednesday was also a no beach umbrella day though it was unlikely that it would have been much fun to sit on the beach in such a storm."

I can't believe we missed a no beach umbrella day!  We'll have it on Friday, instead.

53 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

What would you call it Sin City?

It frequently is called that. The point being that it is a city, which has many places they call resorts. Of course the word resort is terribly stretched in this country. Sometimes even attached to a two room guest house without even a pool or a view,

5 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

It frequently is called that. The point being that it is a city, which has many places they call resorts. Of course the word resort is terribly stretched in this country. Sometimes even attached to a two room guest house without even a pool or a view,

Yes I guess they are resorting to stretching the truth. Guess we are all guilty of that from time to time. 

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

Are there any tourists left in Pattaya?

Heaps. My hotel is on Second Rd and other than the hour or so of the deluge, plenty of people walking around.

As for the storm itself, it wasn't anything exceptional. I have enjoyed more heavy downpours on the islands.

Must have been worse elsewhere though.

On 5/18/2017 at 5:32 AM, canuckamuck said:

Since when is Pattaya a resort?

It is commonly regarded as a resort town.  In the same sense as Blackpool or Daytona Beach are "seaside resorts."Surely only a issue of semantics.   

"a place that is frequented for holidays or recreation or for a particular purpose.
"a seaside resort"
synonyms: holiday destination, holiday centre, tourist centre, centre, spot, retreat, haunt; More

On 5/27/2017 at 0:45 PM, Nong Khai Man said:

Sex Tourists Yeah......

Pattaya has plenty of tourists, the overwhelming majority of whom are not sex tourists.

I once spent a week in Nong Khai, even though I was only there for a day.

9 minutes ago, champers said:

I once spent a week in Nong Khai, even though I was only there for a day.

That's a pity about Pattaya , especially for the people who had saved up for a holiday,

but you shouldn't knock NK....I had 8 years in Pataya before I went to Issan, at the time the lonely planet described Udon "As a Town best viewed in your rear vision mirror" which I thought was a bit harsh....I decided to stay for a while as I was a little burnt out ...still here after 11 years  --so either its speeded up or I have slowed down---probably the latter................:coffee1:

• 3 months later...

Archived