Flooding sweeps Thailand

webfact

Flooding sweeps nation
By THE NATION

ef9f5f5216fd41515879c9060e59dbc0-sld.jpe

BANGKOK: -- AS THE weather bureau yesterday warned of heavy rains in upper Thailand, various provinces reported flooding and officials were told to monitor the situation in at-risk areas.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said overnight rains had caused flooding at 25 areas but thanks to BMA officials’ efficiency, flooding in every area was cleared before the morning rush hour began at 7am yesterday, except at Sukhumvit Soi 26, which was resolved by 8.30am. “I’ve instructed BMA officials since early this year to make preparations to deal with flooding during the rainy season by draining sewers and increasing our water pumps’ capacity,” Aswin posted on Facebook. 

In Uttaradit’s Thong Saen Khan district, 200 homes in eight villages of Tambon Namphee were affected by flash floods and 2,000 families were told to move belongings to higher ground and evacuate the elderly and children as a precaution, said Tambon Namphee Administrative Organisation vice president Pisit Wongthong yesterday.

In Khamphaeng Phetch’s Pran Kratai district, many homes, shops and roads were under 30-centimetre-deep flooding yesterday but no casualties were reported.

Heavy downpours on Tuesday night and yesterday morning left at least five tambons in Phitsanulok’s Wat Bot district flooded. Mountain run-off inundated homes and farmland in Hin Lad, Khan Chong, Tha Ngam, Ban Yang and Tortae and the rain was still continuing yesterday. 

At the Ban Tha Kaeng riverside attraction in Ban Yang, four floating bamboo pavilions sunk in the rising Lam Kwai Noi River, prompting residents to beach the other 19 floating pavilions on shore. Wat Bot district chief Suwit Suriyawong later inspected flood damage and said the situation would be resolved quickly because the problem was flash flooding. Nakhon Thai and Chat Trakan districts were also placed on flood watch due to heavy rains.

In the North, Chiang Mai’s Doi Saket district chief Wichit Langsan ordered all tambons to be vigilant for flash floods, especially Pa Miang, Thep Sadet, Cherng Doi and Loung Nua, which had been hit by the overflowing Mae Koung River on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Doi Inthanon National Park head Wutthipong Dongkhamfoo said two days of downpours had caused mountain runoff to pour into the Mae Klang and Mae Ya falls, prompting officials to close the two attractions until further notice for tourists’ safety.

In Loei, torrential rains on Tuesday night caused 50cm-deep flooding on various roads in Wang Saphung district, while a 200-metre road section to Ban Na Paen and Ban Lert in Tambon Srithan of Phu Kradueng district were made impassable.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315529

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-18

"monitoring" yes that will really help...............this year has been VERY wet by me in Prachuap, the driest area of Thailand, suspect there  will be  a lot of flooding this year if it continues..................cue the govt being "surprised"

1 hour ago, pentap said:

Was it not recently reported, water management under control?

they have ordered 10million plastic buckets from china at the giveaway price of 1,000bht.each.

2 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Rained pretty good here in Rayong. Thunder storms and a all day rain with wind. Measured 5 inches in my home made rain gauge. Haven't seen any flooding.

40 km east of Rayong, Chakphong, we had almost  eleven inches of rain, all

projects on hold

Only 2 or 3 weeks ago, the government was urging farmers to delay seed planting until the end of May as the rains this year will be late.  Any seed planted in the middle of May will die!!!

But I am sure I read not 2 weeks ago that the chief of the Meteorology Dept said that the rainy season would start at the end of May and there would be no flooding this year. I wonder if he gets to keep his crystal ball or job for providing such accurate forecasts? :post-4641-1156693976:

Been here 15 yrs. Earliest rainy season I can remember. Thais I know (many) saying the same thing. If this continues it may be very bad. Please, I ask all climate change deniers to comment on current weather conditions around the world. I was told it was 27 Celsius in England last week. Never before in May.  

10 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

i expected an early start to the rainy season after the super heated dry hell caused by El nino last year,looks like it has started,  "strong south west monsoon" said the Thai gov weather web site.

That rotten El Nino!

Always causing problems. PM Prayut should have issued an Article 44 on El Nino to obey his instructions and follow his weather predictions.

Living in central Isan.

I can not remember such a wet and cool month of May since the six years I am here.

Usually it is baking hot and not a drop of rain this time of year.

It IS exceptional.

And I would not bet that it is the start of an overall wet year.

Could also be the start and near end of a short rainy season.

I tried to understand the El Nino/La Nina observations ("southern oscillation").

As I understood it is still "undecided" but more tending towards another El Nino (dry year). What a disaster that would be.

Archived