Flooding sweeps Thailand

webfact

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Been here 15 yrs. Earliest rainy season I can remember. Thais I know (many) saying the same thing. If this continues it may be very bad. Please, I ask all climate change deniers to comment on current weather conditions around the world. I was told it was 27 Celsius in England last week. Never before in May.  

weather  and  climate 2 separate  issues

9 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Been here 15 yrs. Earliest rainy season I can remember. Thais I know (many) saying the same thing. If this continues it may be very bad. Please, I ask all climate change deniers to comment on current weather conditions around the world. I was told it was 27 Celsius in England last week. Never before in May.  

Well there are no climate change deniers, there are just those that do not believe that human produced CO2 is causing an avoidable and cataclysmic climate disaster. Everyone knows that the climate changes continually.

And have you forgotten that in 2011 Songkran was basically rained out, and the rains continued intermittently until the regular rainy season.

2011 was a bad year for flooding, and this year seems to fit the template.

But don't worry, in 2011 we didn't have article 44 to save us. This year the floods are forbidden.

Evacuated from my hotel in Loei last night. Local park flooded and many roads impassable. Locals were out in force photographing River reaching breaking point.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

And have you forgotten that in 2011 Songkran was basically rained out, and the rains continued intermittently until the regular rainy season.

2011? Depending on where you were. This year is it still summer and are these summer storms almost every day or has the wet season started very early. I don't think raining almost everyday falls under the definition of intermittent.

p.s. can hardly remember Songkran this year :burp:

On 5/18/2017 at 7:36 AM, dcnx said:

Pretty sure just a week or two ago some Somchai said the rain season wasn't going to be bad this year.

Your right but only its not Somchai , its Prayut 

On 19.5.2017 at 7:03 AM, Kadilo said:

Evacuated from my hotel in Loei last night. Local park flooded and many roads impassable. Locals were out in force photographing River reaching breaking point.

Granddaughter who studies there has fled for the weekend and came home yesterday.

I was surprised to see her.

On 18/5/2017 at 0:21 PM, flexomike said:

40 km east of Rayong, Chakphong, we had almost  eleven inches of rain, all

projects on hold

there and further east is a heavy rain area even in drier times, from what i've seen,

On 5/18/2017 at 9:57 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Living in central Isan.

I can not remember such a wet and cool month of May since the six years I am here.

Usually it is baking hot and not a drop of rain this time of year.

It IS exceptional.

And I would not bet that it is the start of an overall wet year.

Could also be the start and near end of a short rainy season.

I tried to understand the El Nino/La Nina observations ("southern oscillation").

As I understood it is still "undecided" but more tending towards another El Nino (dry year). What a disaster that would be.

Yes! the weather this year has been a lot different to last, thankfully!

The levels of water in the reservoirs are considerably higher than they have been for quite a few years, unfortunately this doesn't bode well if it is a very wet rainy season, though if there is less rainfall this year should be sufficient water in most areas to see through to next year?

In all fairness it is impossible to predict weather accurately in Thailand, most residents don't travel that much and have no idea just how different the weather is in different areas of the country. I lived for 15 years in Pattaya, I had no idea that the humidity in Isaan was usually about 30% less than in Pattaya! as an example.

There are many variables that can affect the weather, local weather, which this year produced a lot of rain in some areas! next we have to contend with the monsoons, initially the southwest monsoon will run, how strong is directly affected by the temperatures in India, then the northeast monsoon runs which doesn't usually effect the North of Thailand, throw in low pressure moving in from China and it gets really complicated!

My understanding is the bigger your computer & the more data you input, the more chance you have of having a "accurate" forecast - maybe! If anyone does have a better understanding please share.

Archived