Taxi drivers chase foreigner out of Uber taxi in Pattaya

webfact

Taxi drivers chase foreigner out of Uber taxi in Pattaya
By The Nation

PATTAYA: -- Taxi drivers in Pattaya surrounded an Uber taxi on Wednesday afternoon and forced a western passenger out of the vehicle, the Uber driver said.

Thai Uber driver, Surasak Khukham, 29, filed a complaint with the Pattaya Police Station at 11pm.

He also played a video clip he had recorded when his car was surrounded by five or six taxis on Pattaya 2 Road in North Pattaya in the Bang Lamung district of Chon Buri province.

Surasak said the western tourist was terrified when the taxi was laid siege to.

Surasak was fined after the taxis surrounded his car and police turned up. His driving licence was seized.

Uber service is still illegal in Thailand.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30315568

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-18

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Surasak was fined after the taxis surrounded his car and police turned up. His driving licence was seized.

Uber service is still illegal in Thailand.

But it appears that being a vigilante thug is not.

And being a member of a local "mafia" exempts you from charges and bringing the "country into disrepute and damaging tourism".

3 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

Surasak was fined after the taxis surrounded his car and police turned up. His driving licence was seized.  Can anyone explain why ????

He was engaged in an illegal commercial activity.  Uber is not a legal operation in Thailand.

I do have some sympathy with the Taxi drivers. Uber has depended on your view either revolutionised or destroyed the taxi industry wherever it plies its trade.
Whatever your opinion the drivers end up much worse off. I think the balance in Pattaya now is pretty good. The number of baht busses has been greatly reduced, routes and prices are clearly defined If you want to hire a taxi the rules are the same as anywhere else in the world, agree a price you are both happy with before you start your journey.
I understand things could be better and the yellow taxis should have meters that are working all the time.
On the whole I think Pattaya does a pretty good job with their taxis. Keep things the same.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If Uber is illegal why is there a huge advertisement on the electronic billboards at the Narathiwas/ Ratchadapisek intersection? Surely you can openly advertise for illegal services in a law abiding country like tHailand!

11 minutes ago, AndyOz said:

I do have some sympathy with the Taxi drivers. Uber has depended on your view either revolutionised or destroyed the taxi industry wherever it plies its trade.
Whatever your opinion the drivers end up much worse off. I think the balance in Pattaya now is pretty good. The number of baht busses has been greatly reduced, routes and prices are clearly defined If you want to hire a taxi the rules are the same as anywhere else in the world, agree a price you are both happy with before you start your journey.
I understand things could be better and the yellow taxis should have meters that are working all the time.
On the whole I think Pattaya does a pretty good job with their taxis. Keep things the same.

No...  anywhere else in the world you do not agree a price before hand in a metered Taxi, the driver simply uses the meter (without questions, without reminders, without negotiation). 

The taxi drivers in Pattaya are operating illegally by charging exaggerated fares and refusing to turn on their meter. 

The are now racketeering and using the threat of violence against any competition. 

Do they now have the protection of the local officials for their illegal behavior?

Chasing and rounding up the competition takes significant effort for these drivers, it must be fun for them. IF they applied the same effort across the board in providing a professional level of service they would be far busier and far more successful.

43 minutes ago, AndyOz said:

Surely you're extracting the urine!

I am keen to know if the Uber customer is one of this forum's regular users and how they feel about being surrounded like this.Whether a resident or a tourist, no-one should be in fear of their life for hiring a vehicle. The issue needs prompt and decisive resolution before someone gets seriously hurt. I am ambivalent about Uber and Grab, I deplore violence.

No...  anywhere else in the world you do not agree a price before hand in a metered Taxi, the driver simply uses the meter (without questions, without reminders, without negotiation). 

The taxi drivers in Pattaya are operating illegally by charging exaggerated fares and refusing to turn on their meter. 
The are now racketeering and using the threat of violence against any competition. 

Do they now have the protection of the local officials for their illegal behavior?

Chasing and rounding up the competition takes significant effort for these drivers, it must be fun for them. IF they applied the same effort across the board in providing a professional level of service they would be far busier and far more successful.

With the greatest respect you have not traveled extensively. I think of cities in Eastern Europe and South America. If a taxi driver will not switch his meter on and the price quoted is too high then go to another. The other taxi will have seen this and will offer a better price. You may need to do this 2 or 3 times but the choice is yours if you don't like the price don't get in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

He was engaged in an illegal commercial activity.  Uber is not a legal operation in Thailand.

100% of the Taxi drivers are engaged in illegal commercial activity too as they break the law and overcharge passengers. As well threatening other drivers or passengers is highly illegal, as it is the local authorities job to deal with potential irregularities.

Could it be you are creating your own law and are actually part of the Mafia ?

1 hour ago, AndyOz said:

what an utter nonsense !

The law clearly states that the meter has to be used. There is no different law in Pattaya and Bangkok. In Pattaya. It is the law of the MAFIA and some hidden VIP-politicians or BIB who benefit from the system only

3 minutes ago, THAILIBAN said:

what an utter nonsense !

The law clearly states that the meter has to be used. There is no different law in Pattaya and Bangkok. In Pattaya. It is the law of the MAFIA and some hidden VIP-politicians or BIB who benefit from the system only

And dont forget his/her statement that baht bus numbers have been greatly reduced ????. Routes clearly defined on bus but not followed.

There seem to be alot of new members here ,postwise, that dont have a clue.

9 minutes ago, AndyOz said:

With the greatest respect you have not traveled extensively. I think of cities in Eastern Europe and South America. If a taxi driver will not switch his meter on and the price quoted is too high then go to another. The other taxi will have seen this and will offer a better price. You may need to do this 2 or 3 times but the choice is yours if you don't like the price don't get in.

again, utter nonsense !!!!

Virtually EVERYWHERE in South America you have those Taxi apps, not only UBER, but as well Easytaxi (very popular in Mexico) or TAPPSI (in Colombia). Already in 2014 I had no the smallest problem in using those apps and get great rides in Mexico, Colombia, Uruguay, Peru, Ecuador....

Everyone with a common sense will be able to get a proper ride nowadays in South America. It was different ten years ago or so, but this is year 2017. Even in MYANMAR they have UBER now, and the drivers are actually HAPPY about it, because the Burmese are decent people and not lazy and see the value of it and get a lot more rides than before.

Actually, almost everywhere in South East Asia those apps are available, be it Malaysia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines - in the Philippines you can even hire a GRAB CAR officially at the Airport. In Bangkok there is even an official GRAB TAXI (metered cabs, not private cars) counter at Makkasan MRT and ARL station. So why not in Pattaya ? I can tell you why - because Mafia still rules . Same applies to Phuket and Samui, of course

P_20170427_135732.jpg

16 minutes ago, AndyOz said:

OR

Just use Uber and not worry about putting up with this behavior. Easy.

OB

Was outside the big Tescos on Sukhumvit the other day where taxi touts wait for unsuspecting Russians and Chinese. Heard one guy, I kid you not, try to charge 1k for a Russian mum and her kid to go to Pratumnak!! That's about a 3km ride... 1000 baht!! <deleted> cheating scumbags deserve everything they get... I hope uber or grab or any other non cheating taxi services make all these cheating scumbags homeless.

35 minutes ago, champers said:

I am keen to know if the Uber customer is one of this forum's regular users and how they feel about being surrounded like this.Whether a resident or a tourist, no-one should be in fear of their life for hiring a vehicle. The issue needs prompt and decisive resolution before someone gets seriously hurt. I am ambivalent about Uber and Grab, I deplore violence.

I have been using UBER frequently in the past few weeks to get from my place to Pattaya Bus station. Nothing but good experiences.

I tell the driver to drop my a few meters away from the actual station and they are happy about it, as we both can avoid potential Mafia type crooks. Everyone using UBER in Pattaya should use his common sense to avoid unpleasant scenes. Hire a car away from the main road, walk down the Soi. Do not hire it in front of Central Festival or Walking street - this would be begging for trouble.

Would I use regular cabs if they go by Meter? Of course ! But they won't...... GRAB in Pattaya is CRAP too, as most drivers of GRAB CAR never bother to arrive. I have entirely stopped using them (though I always use GRAB when in Malaysia, Vietnam or the Phils. This is just a specific Thai problem, as the GRAB mgmt in Thailand is completely useless and the drivers can get away with whatever they do.

2 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

Was outside the big Tescos on Sukhumvit the other day where taxi touts wait for unsuspecting Russians and Chinese. Heard one guy, I kid you not, try to charge 1k for a Russian mum and her kid to go to Pratumnak!! That's about a 3km ride... 1000 baht!! <deleted> cheating scumbags deserve everything they get... I hope uber or grab or any other non cheating taxi services make all these cheating scumbags homeless.

The best thing to do in such cases is taking Videos and post the actions of those scam artists online on FB or else. It will get the publicity it deserves, because the Thai people are annoyed as well. That way, eventually the government will accept that there is no way to change the behaviour of those scumbags and that services like UBER are needed and here to stay.....

Pattaya taxi drivers force foreigners out of Uber car

By Coconuts Bangkok 

cc.jpg

Screenshot: Bangkok Biz News

PATTAYA: -- A group of cabbies chased foreign tourists out of their Uber and threatened to have the Uber driver arrested — the latest vile move from taxi drivers in the conflict between them and the ride-sharing apps.

The Uber driver, Surasak Kookham, 29, told police he was surrounded by five or six registered taxi drivers who blocked him from driving away when he picked up a foreign couple on Pattaya Sai 2 Road.

“The woman was already inside the car when her husband was putting the luggage in the trunk, but the taxi drivers told her to get out,” Surasak told Bangkok Biz News.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/pattaya-taxi-drivers-force-foreigners-uber-car/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-05-18

I have been using UBER frequently in the past few weeks to get from my place to Pattaya Bus station. Nothing but good experiences.
I tell the driver to drop my a few meters away from the actual station and they are happy about it, as we both can avoid potential Mafia type crooks. Everyone using UBER in Pattaya should use his common sense to avoid unpleasant scenes. Hire a car away from the main road, walk down the Soi. Do not hire it in front of Central Festival or Walking street - this would be begging for trouble.
Would I use regular cabs if they go by Meter? Of course ! But they won't...... GRAB in Pattaya is CRAP too, as most drivers of GRAB CAR never bother to arrive. I have entirely stopped using them (though I always use GRAB when in Malaysia, Vietnam or the Phils. This is just a specific Thai problem, as the GRAB mgmt in Thailand is completely useless and the drivers can get away with whatever they do.

What are the rates charged by UBER drivers?

1 hour ago, AndyOz said:

With a similar amount of respect, I have travelled extensively, in Africa,  Central and South America and Central and Eastern Europe, So i will disagree with your comment WRT metered taxis.

1 hour ago, AndyOz said:

Thank-you for your respect, with a proportionate level of respect in return I would like to ask if your travels to these areas were before the prevalence of smartphones? especially in Europe, Eastern Europe, South East Asia and South America ?

In a comparison of Major cities and tourist destinations the metered fare is the norm. Where a metered taxi is not the norm there is usually a 'fixed fare' system which operates reasonable pricing and not the heavily inflated and overcharging fares we see in Thailand... An now we have the smart phone apps....

Of course, if we don't like the inflated fare we can walk away. But this is not private enterprise, the DLT (or relevant metropolitan authority) has awarded the Taxi's a license to provide a service. In accepting this license the drivers have agreed to follow the regulations. When charging a fixed fare, they breaking their license contract. 

These regulations are to protect the consumer / passenger. 

In very few places is the blatant over charging and extortion of passengers tolerated... I can name a few, but these are places I avoid...  

Yet for Pattaya, it seems not only are these overcharging practices by taxi drivers are tolerated by the authorities, it now seems they are supported. 

Thank-you for your respect, with a proportionate level of respect in return I would like to ask if your travels to these areas were before the prevalence of smartphones? especially in Europe, Eastern Europe, South East Asia and South America ?

In a comparison of Major cities and tourist destinations the metered fare is the norm. Where a metered taxi is not the norm there is usually a 'fixed fare' system which operates reasonable pricing and not the heavily inflated and overcharging fares we see in Thailand... An now we have the smart phone apps....

Of course, if we don't like the inflated fare we can walk away. But this is not private enterprise, the DLT (or relevant metropolitan authority) has awarded the Taxi's a license to provide a service. In accepting this license the drivers have agreed to follow the regulations. When charging a fixed fare, they breaking their license contract. 

These regulations are to protect the consumer / passenger. 

In very few places is the blatant over charging and extortion of passengers tolerated... I can name a few, but these are places I avoid...  

Yet for Pattaya, it seems not only are these overcharging practices by taxi drivers are tolerated by the authorities, it now seems they are supported. 

I must admit the vast majority of any bad experiences were pre smart phone. In saying that things must have changed an unmeasurable amount. For example in in Brazil (Rio and Manaus) and Argentina I was not allowed to even take a taxi while on business. Granted this was a company policy but others had been robbed and physically assaulted in the past.

Talin was another place where the taxis blatantly ripped off tourists while the police look on. I have first hand experience of this.

Compare this to Pattaya where I can get most places on a baht bus for 10baht. I feel taxi drivers are an easy target.

When in Pattaya I try to walk as much as possible, but I personally have never had a problem. I never get into a taxi without first agreeing a price or have a meter on wherever I am in the world.

Archived