Taxi drivers chase foreigner out of Uber taxi in Pattaya

webfact

On 5/18/2017 at 9:59 AM, webfact said:

Surasak said the western tourist was terrified when the taxi was laid siege to.

Surasak was fined after the taxis surrounded his car and police turned up. His driving licence was seized.

Uber service is still illegal in Thailand.

Thailand, a place to live where one is always only so far from the next potential demented thug.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, retirementenquiry said:

grabtaxi is going to kill the taxi mafia in pattaya which in part controlled by police more an more visitors i meet are switched on to this app example of the difference can get a car 110b central festival to pratamnak a mafia songtao is looking 300b

it will be harder to break the phunket and samui mafia's

Indeed it will -  the "authorities" have even given the Samui "Meter Taxis" (That's a joke!) permission to charge 50 baht immediately before they go anywhere!

14 hours ago, digbeth said:

The drivers are fined in Bangkok all the time, it's just that there's no singular big mafia taxi taking vigilante action like in Pattaya or Chiang Mai

A lot of things that is 'illegal' operate without problem in Thailand, 

best reply so far!

On 20/05/2017 at 5:03 PM, wump said:

True, but then again being outside of the tourist traps is super-boring if you don't speak any Thai.

No its not its what make me love the country so much, So much fun with the real Thai's in the villages and out in the sticks, they are so relaxed and fun to be. its great when nether of us can speak each others language we just roll around laughing trying. Get into BK and the Shi> heads takeover, brainless dumb nasty people with one thing on their mind your money>

On 26/05/2017 at 5:32 PM, retirementenquiry said:

grabtaxi is going to kill the taxi mafia in pattaya which in part controlled by police more an more visitors i meet are switched on to this app example of the difference can get a car 110b central festival to pratamnak a mafia songtao is looking 300b

it will be harder to break the phunket and samui mafia's

That is nonsense, because GRAB in Pattaya IS the Mafia !!!

The Mafia has partnered with GRAB here, they control the entire GRAB cars and Taxis here.

Good luck getting a Taxi that is going by the Meter like at any other GRAB TAXI destinations all over Asia.

And GRAB CAR ? well, they simply never bother to arrive when you order them. I tried many times. They NEVER arrive.

I like GRAB anywhere in Asia, including BKK, but in Pattaya it is UBER or nothing

On 5/18/2017 at 5:36 AM, AndyOz said:

The number of baht busses has been greatly reduced, routes and prices are clearly defined If you want to hire a taxi the rules are the same as anywhere else in the world, agree a price you are both happy with before you start your journey.

Laughable. How a reduction in collective transport can be good? And good luck "agreeing" on fare with Thai tax driver, be on 2 or 4 wheels.

11 minutes ago, paz said:

Laughable. How a reduction in collective transport can be good? And good luck "agreeing" on fare with Thai tax driver, be on 2 or 4 wheels.

Exactly!

"If you want to hire a taxi the rules are the same as anywhere else in the world"

Most other places in the world do not have a "Meter Taxi" sign on the top that  "not work - broken" or do not need a sign on the top - just a meter inside that DOES work!

11 hours ago, THAILIBAN said:

The Mafia has partnered with GRAB here,

Interesting , I've never tried them yet but I do have the app , and sometimes their fares are cheaper than Uber, So does that mean they just keep you wait and will never arrive ?  A short trip with GRAB is 100 baht . I would think the "real taxi " in Pattaya would charge 300 for the same trip .  

47 minutes ago, balo said:

Interesting , I've never tried them yet but I do have the app , and sometimes their fares are cheaper than Uber, So does that mean they just keep you wait and will never arrive ?  A short trip with GRAB is 100 baht . I would think the "real taxi " in Pattaya would charge 300 for the same trip .  

Grab Car is fine. Ignore the post you responded to. 

17 hours ago, THAILIBAN said:

I like GRAB anywhere in Asia, including BKK, but in Pattaya it is UBER or nothing

but according to some posters, sometimes this "undercover taxi mafia" somehow shows up or calls you back when you make a request.

Uber is just an app and any vehicle owner can sign up.

I can imagine  how a group of taxi drivers agreed to control prices and the zone and reply to requests before any Uber car does.Spooky!

5 hours ago, balo said:

i think there is a little exaggeration here.2-3 times a week, I step out of the Central mall(Beach&9) and walk over to taxis and make it short with confidence: "Bali Hai Pier!"

They normally would ask 300b if you look too touristy but in my experience, as soon as they detect the confidence, they say "200b!"

This is a touristic city and prices a little higher than normal (just like any touristic scam city in the rest of the world) should be expected.

By the way, someone who decides to take a taxi instead of 10b baht bus CAN afford extra 50-100b and no waiting for a uber or grab to show up when you are standing there with bunch of shopping bags in hot and humid 35 degree hell-on-earth.

On 5/21/2017 at 1:18 PM, pattayadude said:

Why am I having hard time understanding this?

Is Uber LEGAL in Pattaya(for pick-ups and drop-offs) and regular taxi operators just can't handle the competition?

or

Uber CAN ONLY drop passengers off that were picked up from outside Pattaya city limits and

CAN NOT do pickups

or

Uber legally can not EVEN ENTER Pattaya city limits, with or without passengers.

Someone who has knowledge of this, please enlighten me.

I am seriously confused.

Because someone will seriously get hurt if this boxing-in Uber cars continues as some of these members of the "taxi mafia" aren't scared or intimidated by the police or even being jailed when it comes to honor and feeding their family.

stay home, wait a year and watch them wack one another and let god sort the rest out!

Grabcar Not GrabTaxi is just as illegal as uber, yet we haven't heard of single case of grabcar driver being harassed by the Taxi mafia, 

yet many occasion, posters on this forum reported that even when they order grabtaxi, unmarked car turned up and never uses the meter, and the quote price in Grab app is way out of line compared to other cities

How many people remembered when Grab first launched in Pattaya when price were cheap, almost meter-like , to use grab to go anywhere now it's at least a couple of hundred baht, almost as much as flagging the blue and yellow taxi down the road yourself