Taxi drivers chase foreigner out of Uber taxi in Pattaya

webfact

55 minutes ago, barryofthailand said:

Uber is not illegal in Thailand. The Uber driver should file a complaint with the DSI in Bangkok. The Pattaya police is part of the Taxi Mafia.

It's whatever the cops say it is. If you want to argue the toss with them, go for it.

Whenever I go to get a visa extension they ask me for stuff that's not legally required, but I doubt I'd win the argument.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yup. In Chiang Mai I failed to get 10 "taxis" to go below 100 baht for a 20 baht trip.

I cannot understand why they have "Taxi Meter" sign on the roof, I have never seen them use the meter.  I get changed 450 baht for airport to San Sai which is only around 15km whereas the meter fare, if it even exists, would be half of that.  It is still a cheap trip, just hate getting ripped off.

6 hours ago, AndyOz said:

I do have some sympathy with the Taxi drivers. Uber has depended on your view either revolutionised or destroyed the taxi industry wherever it plies its trade.
Whatever your opinion the drivers end up much worse off. I think the balance in Pattaya now is pretty good. The number of baht busses has been greatly reduced, routes and prices are clearly defined If you want to hire a taxi the rules are the same as anywhere else in the world, agree a price you are both happy with before you start your journey.

That's not the way taxis work in most places.  They have these things called "meters" that are usually used.  Whether you agree this level of government oversight in the market is desirable, haggling for prices is not really the norm that I have seen.  Certainly it's not what a tourist expects or hopes for.  

How is a person supposed to know what is a fair price for going across town?  Where are these prices "clearly defined" and who defines them?  Uber addresses this problem nicely by metering everything.  

I have heard that under uber drivers are, as you say, not treated well.  Under Grab I think they are, but not sure.  At any rate, drivers flock to sign up for Uber, I think because it is very convenient for both parties.  Drivers get to choose their hours and routes as they wish.  

I understand things could be better and the yellow taxis should have meters that are working all the time.
On the whole I think Pattaya does a pretty good job with their taxis. Keep things the same.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

How is Pattaya conceivably doing a good job when you admit they don't follow the law about using meters?  

I do have some sympathy with the Taxi drivers. Uber has depended on your view either revolutionised or destroyed the taxi industry wherever it plies its trade.
Whatever your opinion the drivers end up much worse off. I think the balance in Pattaya now is pretty good. The number of baht busses has been greatly reduced, routes and prices are clearly defined If you want to hire a taxi the rules are the same as anywhere else in the world, agree a price you are both happy with before you start your journey.
I understand things could be better and the yellow taxis should have meters that are working all the time.
On the whole I think Pattaya does a pretty good job with their taxis. Keep things the same.

Lucky cabdrivers in Pattaya they have a supporter.Keep on going with them Andy so you support the maffia good job.

Nice biting post 

Uber works great in Chiang Mai and as another contributor said: use common sense and don't get in a Uber car near where the so-called metered taxis operate. Walk  away a little and get in the front seat and you and your driver are farely safe. Uber drivers can and do get properly licensed here and this is certainly the way forward. Even the Song Thaeaw drivers are considering installing similar software so that you can call one of them nearest you on your mobile phone!  'If you can't beat them join them' pragmatical approach far better than downright thuggery

34 minutes ago, steveyinasia said:

I cannot understand why they have "Taxi Meter" sign on the roof, I have never seen them use the meter.  I get changed 450 baht for airport to San Sai which is only around 15km whereas the meter fare, if it even exists, would be half of that.  It is still a cheap trip, just hate getting ripped off.

Use Uber, as I did about 3 weeks ago. The driver nearest the airport was there in minutes and responded to say be outside Gate 6 a long way from the taxis at gate 1. Then get in the front seat so that you appear to be a friend. He found his way to Fa Ham Village using Google maps and GPS by the quickest route ever cutting thru Wong 41 as he had the required sticker. The taxis can't do this and more often than not can't find my village because they can't understand English or can't use GPS. Cost 224 baht. Taxi 350.

7 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Surasak was fined after the taxis surrounded his car and police turned up. His driving licence was seized.  Can anyone explain why ????

I am SOOO  p@#$$d  off with people who don't read the post in full before spouting off! Read the last line:-  "Uber service is still illegal in Thailand."!!!

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

I am SOOO  p@#$$d  off with people who don't read the post in full before spouting off! Read the last line:-  "Uber service is still illegal in Thailand."!!!

Wrong - Uber drivers can be legally licensed here in Chiang Mai

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No...  anywhere else in the world you do not agree a price before hand in a metered Taxi, the driver simply uses the meter (without questions, without reminders, without negotiation). 

The taxi drivers in Pattaya are operating illegally by charging exaggerated fares and refusing to turn on their meter. 

The are now racketeering and using the threat of violence against any competition. 

Do they now have the protection of the local officials for their illegal behavior?

Chasing and rounding up the competition takes significant effort for these drivers, it must be fun for them. IF they applied the same effort across the board in providing a professional level of service they would be far busier and far more successful.

I had travelled around the world, Asia,Europe, US, South America, Australia, NZ, Africa etc.

Many good experience BUT not always. There are many countries as bad as Thailand. Before you comment, also go read up about the bad reviews of Uber services, Grab services, Lyft services, etc

Here's something to get you started.

http://www.londoncabs.co.uk/10-countries-with-the-worst-taxi-drivers/

7 hours ago, AndyOz said:

Your nickname must be Ozstrich; you've obviously got your head in the sand.  The Pattaya taxi drivers are the biggest rip-off merchants in Thailand.  Get out more, and ask around, you'll get the gist of it eventually.

19 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

Wrong - Uber drivers can be legally licensed here in Chiang Mai

"Ride-sharing service Uber is operating illegally in Thailand and its drivers will now face heavy fines for using improper cars and fare structures, Department of Land Transport director-general Teerapong Rodprasert said Friday."

And from the same newspaper dated 30 Mar 2017:-

"The Chiang Mai land transport office is launching tougher operations to crack down on illegal Uber and Grab Taxi services."

However I have also seen posts stating:- 

"Uber in Chiang Mai getting around Chiang Mai just got a whole lot easier". 

Posted on January 16, 2017 
This would imply that Uber is operating in Chiang Mai, BUT not legally.

We can‘t figure out how to get tea money from Uber so lets outlaw it.  Thus the overcharging, unregulated, envelope dispensing taxi mafia has their way.

The taxi mafia should be more appreciative of Uber.  Chasing down Uber drivers gives them something to do.

Police mafia defending the taxi mafia.. what a surprise!

I heard from an UBER driver in Belgium that when the drivers go to court, UBER pays their legal fees. Perhaps they could start supplying guns to drivers in Thailand so they can defend themselves against this taxi mafia scum. 

I somewhat understand the opposition from honest, meter-using taxi drivers in Bangkok, but anywhere else like Pattaya, Phuket, CM, Samui etc. the taxis are purely ripping off people. 

Guest Jerry787

simple stop to use official taxi, use only private cars available at grab a car.... 

once business for taxi drivers is donw over 50% they will immediately change the way they treat customers and make mafia... 

I fill sorry for any honest Taxi driver. So in Pattaya thats none.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, steveyinasia said:

Said many times before but "Bravo"! 

In my neck of the woods they have a minimum "drop" price of 50 baht on top of the regular price, and they STILL won't use the meter! How do they get away with it? :cheesy: Ooops -  sorry - stupid me! T.I.T.!

No it was not me in the car, if it was me I would have asked the taxi drivers to use their meter. Why do you have a meter sign on your roof ? I would make a complaint to the police and defend the Uber drver.
If they are breaking the law so are the taxi drivers !!

6 hours ago, THAILIBAN said:

I have been using UBER frequently in the past few weeks to get from my place to Pattaya Bus station. Nothing but good experiences.

I tell the driver to drop my a few meters away from the actual station and they are happy about it, as we both can avoid potential Mafia type crooks. Everyone using UBER in Pattaya should use his common sense to avoid unpleasant scenes. Hire a car away from the main road, walk down the Soi. Do not hire it in front of Central Festival or Walking street - this would be begging for trouble.

Would I use regular cabs if they go by Meter? Of course ! But they won't...... GRAB in Pattaya is CRAP too, as most drivers of GRAB CAR never bother to arrive. I have entirely stopped using them (though I always use GRAB when in Malaysia, Vietnam or the Phils. This is just a specific Thai problem, as the GRAB mgmt in Thailand is completely useless and the drivers can get away with whatever they do.

Totally different experience here in CM.

UBER is crap, asking for booking one day ahead.

GRAB is working so great, that the GF is now using nothing else - despite being quite hesitant before.

4 minutes ago, balo said:

No it was not me in the car, if it was me I would have asked the taxi drivers to use their meter. Why do you have a meter sign on your roof ? I would make a complaint to the police and defend the Uber drver.
If they are breaking the law so are the taxi drivers !!

"Sorry, meter not work - bloken"

6 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

Totally different experience here in CM.

UBER is crap, asking for booking one day ahead.

GRAB is working so great, that the GF is now using nothing else - despite being quite hesitant before.

I was just in CM and was able to get an UBER every time I needed, even at 5am coming out from a late night bar. 

On the other hand, I once took GRAB in BKK and he rounded up the fare up pretty much and had no change. 

1 hour ago, aslimversgwm said:

Uber works great in Chiang Mai and as another contributor said: use common sense and don't get in a Uber car near where the so-called metered taxis operate. Walk  away a little and get in the front seat and you and your driver are farely safe. Uber drivers can and do get properly licensed here and this is certainly the way forward. Even the Song Thaeaw drivers are considering installing similar software so that you can call one of them nearest you on your mobile phone!  'If you can't beat them join them' pragmatical approach far better than downright thuggery

"Uber drivers can and do get properly licensed here"

See Post #78

Archived