Hua Hin/ Phetchaburi immigration runaround.

It started at 9 am this morning. Hua Hin immigration refused to grant me an extra 60 days on my 90-day allowance on my non-immigrant O.

reason:

paperwork all correct but I lived nearer to the Phetchaburi office. Which I do, but is it really necessary to make us go to the other office.

I smiled and begrudgingly we made our way to the Phetchaburi office. We walked in and smiled. Asked the officer to extend my visa. He started by asking why I was not leaving the country? This was then followed by a thorough examination of all the paperwork. He wanted my wife's original Tabien Baan, not a photocopy. Still smiling I said that I would go and fetch it, and was there anything else in addition that he needed? at this point, he got the knock, started laughing at us, and the female staff came to join in. In addition to all the other paperwork we had prepared/ photocopied and had checked at HH immigration, the list as follows was DEMANDED for a 60-day extension on my 90 days multi-entry O visa:

Photo

Medical for me

Proof of seasoned funds

My landlady's/ wife's originalTabien Baan

A certification from our Amphur in Bangkok to confirm the original marriage certificate was indeed original

All other paperwork and receipt from our marriage as they would not accept the lady sitting next to me was my wife

One last point to note is that I provided all these documents my Non-o would be cancelled after 60 days extension and I would need to obtain a new one. 

yes, they spoke good enough English and understood the request.

I was initially very patient, and polite, infact, I surprisingly remained fairly polite.

I'm losing the will to live in Thailand. Think I'll take my money somewhere it is appreciated.

Edited by ukmark67
spelling
  • Like 2

Cheers Ubonjoe

They were very rude, and would not be questioned on their knowledge. The uniform gave them superpowers.

They were not confused mate, just bloody arrogant.

Edited by ukmark67
spelling
  • Like 2

UJ:

The part of this that is troubling to me is the certified original copy of the marriage certificate

I was married in an amphoe a long way away a long time ago and they cannot come up with the original copy

Do I have to get married to my current wife again just to provide the link to her ID and the tabian baan? This is all in conjunction with a change of address to a different province

12 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

UJ:

The part of this that is troubling to me is the certified original copy of the marriage certificate

I was married in an amphoe a long way away a long time ago and they cannot come up with the original copy

Do I have to get married to my current wife again just to provide the link to her ID and the tabian baan? This is all in conjunction with a change of address to a different province

I am certain you marriage is already in their computer system.

If you have a copy of your marriage certificate any Amphoe can verify  your marriage and certify that copy. They would print out a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry and attach to the certified copy. The certified copy would be accepted by immigration or an embassy or consulate.

You cannot marry your wife again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

They got rid of a few of the old officers who were just plain nasty at times and replaced them with actual human beings to are helpful provide a good servic

Maybe they transferred the bad ones to Phetchaburi.

I have seen other reports by members about having problems at the Phetchaburi office.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ukmark67 said:

My wife has just informed me that the female 'boss' at Phetchaburi spitefully told her to go back to Hua Hin.

What a bunch of w*****s.

Can I do this?

Thank you.

You can but it will require you moving into Hua Hin.

This is what I would do. Move province.

• Like 1

It started at 9 am this morning. Hua Hin immigration refused to grant me an extra 60 days on my 90-day allowance on my non-immigrant O.

reason:
paperwork all correct but I lived nearer to the Phetchaburi office. Which I do, but is it really necessary to make us go to the other office.

I smiled and begrudgingly we made our way to the Phetchaburi office. We walked in and smiled. Asked the officer to extend my visa. He started by asking why I was not leaving the country? This was then followed by a thorough examination of all the paperwork. He wanted my wife's original Tabien Baan, not a photocopy. Still smiling I said that I would go and fetch it, and was there anything else in addition that he needed? at this point, he got the knock, started laughing at us, and the female staff came to join in. In addition to all the other paperwork we had prepared/ photocopied and had checked at HH immigration, the list as follows was DEMANDED for a 60-day extension on my 90 days multi-entry O visa:

Photo
Medical for me
Proof of seasoned funds
My landlady's/ wife's originalTabien Baan
A certification from our Amphur in Bangkok to confirm the original marriage certificate was indeed original
All other paperwork and receipt from our marriage as they would not accept the lady sitting next to me was my wife

One last point to note is that I provided all these documents my Non-o would be cancelled after 60 days extension and I would need to obtain a new one. 

yes, they spoke good enough English and understood the request.
I was initially very patient, and polite, infact, I surprisingly remained fairly polite.

I'm losing the will to live in Thailand. Think I'll take my money somewhere it is appreciated.

I made exactly the same mistake when registering the purchase of my car. I live in Cha Am, therefore in Phetchaburi.

I have found all the staff at Phetchaburi very good although to be fair I have never questioned their knowledge. Ubonjoe has advised me on all my visa issues and I just follow his advice and everything has worked out fine so far.

Hope you have more luck in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Maybe not in the OP's case but I think the service at Hua Hin immigration has improved massively in the past year or so.

They got rid of a few of the old officers who were just plain nasty at times and replaced them with actual human beings to are helpful provide a good service.  

Apart from current Head of HH Immigration-classic arrogant Thai in uniform-obsessed with his power.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes.  This is the only country I know of where expats choose what area to live in based, to a significant-extent, on what personnel work at the respective immigration-office.

In that case can I recommend the office at Amnat Charoen?  The officer there was a thorough gentleman, said 'your welcome' after my thank you, no pettiness and all done with a minimum of fuss....on the other hand the officer at Hua Hin when I was on an Ed Visa, a complete rude b*****d.  Yes, I believe you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes.  This is the only country I know of where expats choose what area to live in based, to a significant-extent, on what personnel work at the respective immigration-office.

that is utter nonsense!!! i have NEVER heard of anybody choosing where to live

based upon personnel at the local immig office... 

of course, i'm blessed w/quite a good office in Muang Krabi;

where everybody, including the phuyai, knows me by name and wais me

immediately upon my entering (possibly a perk of speaking Thai and respecting the local culture,

as well as being a well-known musician here)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JackThompson said:

No gross over generalisation here then

10 hours ago, jenifer d said:

that is utter nonsense!!! i have NEVER heard of anybody choosing where to live

based upon personnel at the local immig office... 

of course, i'm blessed w/quite a good office in Muang Krabi;

where everybody, including the phuyai, knows me by name and wais me

immediately upon my entering (possibly a perk of speaking Thai and respecting the local culture,

as well as being a well-known musician here)

The difference is that, as a "well known musician", you are in their eyes a "hi-so" and therefore deserve their respect, whereas the rest of us are just normal "plebs", who are just creating more work for them.  Having said that, I was obliged to transfer from Hua Hin Immigration to the new Phetchaburi office due to the position of my home and I found them to be reasonably polite without asking for any additional documents to the normal ones.  

• Like 1

" This is the only country I know of where expats choose what area to live in based, to a significant-extent, on what personnel working at immigration..."

I took this a step ffurther and got a retirement visa in the Philippines, and started  visiting Thailand for 5 months a year on tourist visas. Two 60 day TV, 60 days apart, and one 30 day visa exempt a year does me and I dont bother exrending the TV at Jomtien.

Because I am a RESIDENT in the Philippines I have no problem with visas to LOS. In 7 years of having the visa I have NEVER visited a RP immigration office nor had to get any extension/re-entry permit etc. 

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

" This is the only country I know of where expats choose what area to live in based, to a significant-extent, on what personnel working at immigration..."

I took this a step ffurther and got a retirement visa in the Philippines, and started  visiting Thailand for 5 months a year on tourist visas. Two 60 day TV, 60 days apart, and one 30 day visa exempt a year does me and I dont bother exrending the TV at Jomtien.

Because I am a RESIDENT in the Philippines I have no problem with visas to LOS. In 7 years of having the visa I have NEVER visited a RP immigration office nor had to get any extension/re-entry permit etc. 

Granted, what I wrote was a bit tounge-in-cheek - though I have read reports here of people faking residency in areas other than where they actually reside, to avoid dealing with a local office that has issues.  The problem is, that is against the rules, so could lead to trouble down the road.

Many do what you suggest using Cambodia as a base - as I did for awhile; I always had a running multi-visa from there.  The only problem is, you have to spend most of your time in that country, and not here.  It's fine if you prefer living most of the time there, but many prefer it here. 

I also found I still had to rotate-passports after a few TR visas from a consulate, because they didn't consider my time out-of-Thailand - just counted stickers, gave me the "this person visits Thailand frequently" stamp - which made it impossible to get any more TR visas anywhere (not only the consulate that put in the stamp), so it was "new passport" time, anyway.  Perhaps the consulate in the PI is better, in that they don't play that game with PI-residents, as do the consulates closer to Thailand.

On 2017-5-18 at 7:35 PM, ukmark67 said:

Curious to know, will you be taking your Thai wife with you together with your money as you didn't mention this?