BANGKOK
Jai Dee

Kodi® for Dummies

Installing a build from the Ares repository.

Step 1: Navigate to the Main Menu to the Add-ons tab on the vertical menu bar.

build_01.jpg

Step 2: From the Program addons select the Ares Wizard.

build_02.jpg

Step 3: Wait for the Wizard to start then select Browse Builds.

build_03.jpg

Step 4: Select any of the builds in the list. For the purpose of this exercise I will select the Pulse build as I have used it myself and it does perform well.

build_04.jpg

Step 5: After selecting the build a dialogue box will popup asking for a PIN.

build_05.jpg

If you are installing on a PC simply click the Get Pin button and your browser will open a new tab and a 4 digit PIN will be displayed.

If you are installing on an Android device I would recommend opening a browser window and type in the following and press enter: http://bit.ly/getbuildpin

Once you have your PIN select Enter Pin and a numeric keypad will popup where you can enter your PIN and select Done.

build_06.jpg

You will then be presented with a menu of builds to choose from.

build_07.jpg

Step 6: Choose a build. As we have just installed Kodi version 17.1 Krypton we need to select a Krypton build. Select any of the Pulse CCM Krypton builds and then select Install.

A download box will popup showing the progress of the 233 MB download.

build_08.jpg

Once the download is complete you will see the following message asking if you want to perform a backup of the skin/profile. Select Yes.

build_09.jpg

After the backup is complete the Wizard will tell you that Kodi needs to be closed. Select OK.

build_10.jpg

Step 7: Re-start Kodi and you will see the new Pulse build.

build_12.jpg

Continued in the next post...

As you can see I installed it on Windows so the build is “windowed”.

If you prefer to run Kodi full-screen (as I do) navigate to and select System.

build_13.jpg

You will then be presented with the Skin menu.

From the Skin menu select System.

build_14.jpg

Under Display, Display mode will be Windowed.

build_15.jpg

Toggle it to Full Screen.

build_16.jpg

You can then explore the build and the various addons at your leisure.

build_17.jpg

build_18.jpg

build_19.jpg

build_20.jpg

build_21.jpg

build_22.jpg

Just remember that some Kodi builds and addons do provide access to pirated material,  but we maintain that we are not responsible for the content streamed to your device and neither do we condone piracy, so you must satisfy yourself that either you or the sites accessed for streaming have the copyright agreements in place and are entitled to access this content.

The standard disclaimer... of course. :cool:

1 hour ago, Jai Dee said:

Installing a build from the Ares repository.

here we go... who or what is an Ares repository? i'm sure it's neither available in Tesco nor in a 7/11 or Foodland :sad:

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

here we go... who or what is an Ares repository?

You should go back and re-read what I posted earlier.

Here you go... I'll point you in the right direction.

2 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

You should go back and re-read what I posted earlier.

Here you go... I'll point you in the right direction.

i'm terribly sorry Sir but my Kodi "build" has no menu bar. neither left nor right. if i knew how to make a screenshot from an android projection on a TV i'd post it here.

592426f756d08_Kodiscreen.JPG.d963adcc69a30f5c3f00c0b64fd1f24f.JPG

Edited by Naam
edit adding picture

this is a photo of my Kodi screen:

Kodi screen.JPG

@Naam It would appear that you already have a custom build of Kodi installed, as your screen does not reflect a "vanilla" Kodi.

Rather than continue discussing it in this thread I will send you a PM and we can iron out the details privately.

2 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

It would appear that you already have a custom build of Kodi installed

correct!

On 5/23/2017 at 0:16 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Made it seemingly successful to step 24.

(on "virgin" Windows 10 a firewall request has to be acknowledge)

The AresWizard seem to work,

Hmm. On my Windows 10 system, at Step 11/12, the option to "Enter Add-on Browser" would place me where I had a long list of Kodi-sanctioned Add-Ons (and not the options menu shown in the screen cap). 

Had to use the " .. " (double-dots) at the top of the list to back through the menu tree and reach the section where I could select "Install from zip file".   

7 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Hmm. On my Windows 10 system, at Step 11/12, the option to "Enter Add-on Browser" would place me where I had a long list of Kodi-sanctioned Add-Ons (and not the options menu shown in the screen cap). 

Had to use the " .. " (double-dots) at the top of the list to back through the menu tree and reach the section where I could select "Install from zip file".   

That is unusual, however I'm glad that you were able to navigate to the correct area.

Navigation is one of the key areas of Kodi to master... it's not difficult but sometimes you can end up somewhere unexpected.

Familiarisation will happen as you learn the product and navigation will be easier.

1 minute ago, Jai Dee said:

Navigation is one of the key areas of Kodi to master...

Was just a little surprised to find a new install of Kodi automatically jumping to a memorized menu position. Took me a few seconds to realize what may be happening (as I've used Kodi before), and right-click and ESC won't navigate up a menu tree, so need to use the " .. " (double-dot) to back up through the tree to reach the original menus.

Just posted in case other people follow along and don't get what's expected.

6 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Just posted in case other people follow along and don't get what's expected.

Thanks for that Rich.

:thumbsup:

A useful tip.

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:39 PM, Jai Dee said:

You may now opt to either make your own Kodi build using skins and addons sources from third parties, or you might choose to try out one of the many freely available Kodi builds. There are quite a few discussed in the Best Builds thread.

Just remember, a lot of these builds contain addons that can access pirated material. ThaiVisa are not responsible for the builds, nor the addons, nor the content streamed to your device and neither do we condone piracy, so you must satisfy yourself that either you or the sites accessed for streaming have the copyright agreements in place and are entitled to access this content.

The first thing you need to do is to create a means of backing up and restoring your Kodi setup so you can put it back together again should it become corrupted or too bloated. I would recommend that the Ares Wizard (or Ares Repository) is one of the best ways to achieve this. It’s extremely easy to configure and I’m going to walk you through every step of the process. This is something you’ll only ever have to do once.

Step 1: Navigate to the settings cogwheel at the top left of your screen.

Step 2: Select the File manager menu.

Step 3: Click on the Add source function.

Step 4: Click on the field that displays <None> under the Enter the paths or browse for the media locations heading.

Step 5: Using the on-screen keyboard, input http://repo.ares-project.com/magic/ and then select the OK button.

If this source does not work for you (it may be too busy and you get errors downloading), there is another location where you can get the Ares Wizard:

Capture_01.JPG

Changing the Skin on Kodi - creating your own custom build

You can change Kodi's GUI from top to bottom and add all sorts of customizable options by adding new interface skins.

Using these skins you can integrate your favourite video addons into the skin to provide a truly unique and personal viewing experience.

To demonstrate this I'm going to start with a fresh install of Kodi 17.3 with the Ares Wizard installed (as it is a good utility for backup/restore options as well as a good resource for third party repositories and addons), then install a skin.

There are a number of skins available and this page  allows users to compare skin features and version compatibility.

To install these skins you must do so from the Add-on manager from within Kodi by going to:

Settings

Add-ons

Install from repository

Kodi add-on repository

Look and feel

Skins

<choose whichever skin you want>

Install

Capture_01.JPG

Personally I like the Aeon Nox 5: SILVO skin... you can get it here.

To install it first Download the Repo then start Kodi and navigate to the Addons and install it from zipfile.

Capture_02.jpg

Then select Install from repository > Aeon Nox: SiLVO repository > Look and feel > Skin > Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO. Choose the latest version.

Capture_03.jpg

Capture_04.jpg

Capture_05.jpg

Be patient whilst the skin and it's supporting addons are downloading

The required supporting addons are:

script.skinshortcuts

script.grab.fanart

service.library.data.provider

resource.images.studios.white

resource.images.recordlabels.white

Finally you will be presented with the following message:

Capture_06.jpg

Select Yes then select Yes again to keep the change.

You will then be asked to select a background.

We can do this later so select No for now.

Capture_07.jpg

You screen should now look like this:

Capture_08.jpg

Customising your skin and adding some artwork

I'm sure you have all seen example of those builds with the beautiful backgrounds and artwork... well you can have it too on your own custom build.

It is really easy to do.

First use Google or Bing or whatever your preferred search engine is to search for 1920 x 1080 HD wallpaper... in the themes of your choice obviously.

Keep in mind that you should find images that will support the themes of the sub-menus in your skin.

By using the Aeon Nox 5: SILVO skin we have all sorts of possibilities... sub-menus can be added or deleted, changed and customised... up to the limits of your imagination.

For the purpose of this demonstration I have chosen the following categories: TV, Movies, Sports, Music, Favourites, System, and Power.

Here is a sample of the images I collected for the TV theme which I stored in a directory called TV:

Capture_09.jpg

TV, Movies, and Sports are likely to need the most background images but you can get by with only one if you want... it's entirely up to you.

The next thing to do is to move those image directories into a location where Kodi can find them.

I recommend creating a new directory called Backgrounds under Kodi's media directory:

Capture_10.jpg

You can then move your image directories into the Backgrounds directory:

Capture_11.jpg

Next we'll start Kodi and start customizing the new skin.

First step, we will make some changes to the skin to make it easier to navigate and prepare it for customization.

Navigate to System and just beneath it select Skin Settings:

Capture_12.jpg

Then change the Aeon Nox main menu horizontal position from Center to Low:

Capture_13.jpg

Then check (turn on) Center date and time when infoline is empty and Submenu always visible:

Capture_14.jpg

Escape back to the main menu and your screen should now look like this:

Capture_15.jpg

Starting to look good yet?

We have only just started!

Second step, we need to tell Kodi where our new backgrounds are, so navigate to System and Select File Manager:

Capture_16.jpg

You will note that I already have .ares listed as a source... I did that and installed the Ares Wizard before installing the skin.

Select Add Source and Browse to the Backgrounds directory that you previously stored under Kodi's media directory and select OK.

Capture_17.jpg

Name the source Backgrounds and select OK.

Capture_18.jpg

You will now see Backgrounds listed in Kodi's Media Sources:

Capture_19.jpg

There is a slight glitch... (I'm not sure if it's Kodi or the skin) where the byte count of the Directory is wrong (mine is actually 37.3 MB not 373 GB) but it is harmless and makes no difference.