Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Teacher hits back at parent who complained about child who got zero in maths test

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:


There was even the suggestion that students should be allowed to pass so their feelings found not be hurt.

Then you better hope that the rest of your life gives you a pass. Your failing at foundation building. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I actually did this at school in East London, England, out of protest at being made to sit an test/exam on RI (religious instruction). What I actually protested about was a couple of Jewish kids were exempt from the test.

 

Anyway I scored 3 out of 100. I told my dad how I did. He went to the school and asked how I got 3% for not attempting any questions.

 

One for the correct date; one for spelling name correctly and one for writing RI in the subject box. He was not best amused!!

 

He wrote a letter to the school asking if I could be exempt from any RI and tests in future.

Seems fair and logical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember my mom sitting.me down and teaching me how to mutiply until I had it memorized. Never forgot that to this day. To many schools coddle kids now days. Same as little league sports were dont keep scores so little Johnny wont feel bad. Raising a bunch of pansys now days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Penicillin said:

The importants of an education is lost on some people , but on the other hand ... and to quote Judge Smales from the movie Caddyshack... "Well, the world needs ditch diggers too"

Way to go movie mind would never have had your recall on this phrase. With robots and AI I wonder how long this profession will last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, missoura said:

In 99’ I held the position as an ‘ajarn’ at a prestigious Bangkok university.Class attendance for students was a possible option. If a student was a TV star or the latest monthly model then class was not necessary. Other occasional or no-show students included the football team, other sport teams, the seemingly daily special university activity to celebrate something, rich kids, not feeling well, didn’t have a car excuse, traffic jams and the list goes on. Had a student show up for the final exam. Which was fantastic, I finally got to meet him. He got a zero.

 

But not for the course. There was a committee (that I was not on) to determine the final grade for each class. No idea why. In the end, this one day student received an A for the course. 

 

I also taught a few graduate classes at a large Thailand university. Same, same…

Damn, I went to school in the wrong country. Think I'll go for a degree in Thailand. 4.0 here I come. 

 

I taught at an elementary school in BKK for almost a decade. Changed grades, complaining parents and general lack of interest in learning was the rule of the day there as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

There was even the suggestion that students should be allowed to pass so their feelings found not be hurt.

...and Thailand 4.0 is nothing but a reference to where the country stands according to Anno Domini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

I remember my mom sitting.me down and teaching me how to mutiply until I had it memorized. Never forgot that to this day. To many schools coddle kids now days. Same as little league sports were dont keep scores so little Johnny wont feel bad. Raising a bunch of pansys now days.

Your last comment seems a little hard but then maybe more hardness is required today. The jury is out on that one as its hard times vs mamby pambyism. You also felt a mother's love which in our day was given freely and absorbed. She had time to give this love while doing without automatic dish washers and clothes washers and all else that makes our life so easy today. Yea gads where did she find the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

Damn, I went to school in the wrong country. Think I'll go for a degree in Thailand. 4.0 here I come. 

 

I taught at an elementary school in BKK for almost a decade. Changed grades, complaining parents and general lack of interest in learning was the rule of the day there as well. 

Sounds like your last sentence is reaching epidemic proportion here. Are teachers here to pass on wisdom or glorified baby sitters. Depends on whether your a teacher or parent I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...would believe this happened on the university level, and the parents, university lecturers themselves showed up to school, unannounced and demand to see all teachers that failed their child...   Later it was discovered the child had a drug problem which the parent refused to acknowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

with assignments and the written English was shocking, often I could make no sense out it. 

I think some of these retired and are now keyboard bangers on TV. Some of the replies are so hard to make sense of and yet still seem to get likes. Go figure. Great minds group together as well as the minds that make no sense. Oh well they are all our brothers embrace em all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:
  5 hours ago, missoura said:

In 99’ I held the position as an ‘ajarn’ at a prestigious Bangkok university.Class attendance for students was a possible option. If a student was a TV star or the latest monthly model then class was not necessary. Other occasional or no-show students included the football team, other sport teams, the seemingly daily special university activity to celebrate something, rich kids, not feeling well, didn’t have a car excuse, traffic jams and the list goes on. Had a student show up for the final exam. Which was fantastic, I finally got to meet him. He got a zero.

 

But not for the course. There was a committee (that I was not on) to determine the final grade for each class. No idea why. In the end, this one day student received an A for the course. 

 

I also taught a few graduate classes at a large Thailand university. Same, same…

Rather enlightening. We seem to be retaining the status quo with a slight downward movement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rhys said:

...would believe this happened on the university level, and the parents, university lecturers themselves showed up to school, unannounced and demand to see all teachers that failed their child...   Later it was discovered the child had a drug problem which the parent refused to acknowledge.

There is no love like that of a parent. All children are good in the eyes of a parent till over the years they prove the parent wrong in their thinking. What a loss of face that is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Sounds like your last sentence is reaching epidemic proportion here. Are teachers here to pass on wisdom or glorified baby sitters. Depends on whether your a teacher or parent I guess. 

I worked at a private school so really it was all about maximizing income. Regular classes during the day were just spent wasting time and babysitting. It was the after school classes teachers were interested in. Extra pay for those hours. Not much teaching got done in those classes either, but the money was better. It was an incredibly frustrating environment to work in. Constant interruptions to practice for sports day, Mother's Day, Father's day, etc. Through it all, I still had some great students who managed to learn. They were the exception though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bkkgriz said:

I worked at a private school so really it was all about maximizing income. Regular classes during the day were just spent wasting time and babysitting. It was the after school classes teachers were interested in. Extra pay for those hours. Not much teaching got done in those classes either, but the money was better. It was an incredibly frustrating environment to work in. Constant interruptions to practice for sports day, Mother's Day, Father's day, etc. Through it all, I still had some great students who managed to learn. They were the exception though.

The exceptions are the wheat the rest is chaff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it say that the parent asked for a passing grade for the kid? No. He asked for something other than zero, "one", to encourage the child. Some farangs have failed to comprehension test here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...